Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

5.0 out of 5 stars Really, Turtle Beach...shame on you..., October 24, 2012
This review is from: Afterglow Universal Wireless Headset - Blue (Video Game)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I previously had reviewed the Turtle Beach Ear Force X42 Wireless Dolby Surround Sound Gaming Headset. For a headset that normally goes for a $160, I was expecting a lot from the Turtle Beach...and it did fairly well. I was pretty disappointed by the lackluster bass performance, however.

The mic on this headset performs about as well as the Turtle Beach does. Range is also quite excellent - I'm able to walk to the other side of my house and still hear what's going on without interference which is impressive given that I do have a dual-band router plus an assortment of electronics throughout the house.

Where this headset excels over the Turtle Beach, however, is in bass reproduction. For a headset that retails for $90 less than Turtle Beach's X42, it puts it to shame. It's not going to be a contender for a Beats or a Bose headset, mind you, but it really puts the Turtle Beach to shame. Playing Borderlands, I hear the satisfying low roar of a rocket launcher firing and the thud of a far off explosion which sounds puny on the Turtle Beach. The Immersive Audio mode is by far my favorite audio mode for playing games and it sounds great.

And can the X42 work on the PC? Or the Playstation? Or with a mobile phone? I think not - this Afterglow actually is compatible with ALL of these devices at a fraction of the price.

Battery life promises 10 hours - I have used it for 9 thus far and not a glimmer/hint of the headset's battery life waning. The lithium ion battery appears to work as advertised thus far.

As for build, this headset doesn't feel like it's going to break like the X42 does. It's pretty solid and actually withstands some deformation without breaking (don't push it though - the intent is to protect damage from "casual" use, not so you can show your friends how it bends like a reed). The ear pads also feel like they are better quality with a nice comfortable leather feel. The headset does feel a bit on the small side for me, but then size 8 hats feel almost uncomfortably snug on me so I'm sure that it will feel pretty comfortable on the average head.

A brief note on the mic - I like the fact that it's retractable. Having the swivel mic on the Turtle Beach set was occasionally annoying; having the ability to tuck away the mic when I'm not using it gets a big thumbs up from me.

This headset will never replace my audiophile headsets, but for gameplay, this set really puts Turtle Beach on notice...Turtle Beach is NOT the company that I remember anymore.

Highly recommended!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 16, 2013 8:50:07 PM PDT
R. Schulze says:
Thank you for the comparison to the X42's. I just tried those and though mine stopped working, before they did, I wasn't impressed with the "Surround" sound, so I figured I'd save money and go the stereo route. I think I'll definitely prefer the retractable mic. I'll split my time between tv & the 360 and I only chat on the 360 about 1/4 of the time, so having the mic disappear will be nice.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 18, 2013 5:21:24 PM PDT
C. Labye says:
No problem! It does not completely "disappear", but it tucks away so nicely that it doesn't pose the same annoying factor as a swivel mic can...and the mic can still function in that position where it presents a "pinkie-sized" profile from your left headphone. For the money, this is a much better set than the X42's.

Posted on Mar 10, 2015 10:51:43 AM PDT
I'm pretty sure anything beats Beats..

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 10, 2015 11:46:00 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 10, 2015 11:47:17 AM PDT
C. Labye says:
Well, true since the Beats is more about overdriving the bass at the expense of good sound across the board.

Posted on Nov 13, 2015 7:14:54 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 13, 2015 7:16:30 PM PST
A. D. White says:
I have the blue universal version of this headset, and it also performs as well as stated by C Labye. One other thing I will add is that a rather long charging cable is provided, and you can be charging while using the headset, making it last well beyond any limitation if you have a way to charge it near by where you are using it. Afterglow Universal Wireless Headset - Blue
‹ Previous 1 Next ›