5.0 out of 5 stars This does work, but not as you would think..., February 23, 2011
This review is from: Original Likas Papaya Skin Whitening Herbal Soap by Trinidad Cosmetics Laboratory - 135 grams (Health and Beauty)
I used this soap when I discovered that I had an intense farmer's tan...like...terrible. Forearms a nice brown like chocolate, but biceps (if you could even call them that...ahem...) a nice yellow...two nice skin tones clashed together to make one ugly complexion. I bought this soap hoping to even myself out. After the first use, I noticed the water had turned gray as I was rinsing off (gross I know), which told me that it helped to strip off a bunch of dead skin. I'm a guy and tend not to think about sunscreen, exfoliation, moisturizing, etc. I'm naturally a yellowy color (I'm half Caucasian), but thanks to my Filipino genes, I can get pretty dark. So I think that this soap works mainly for people who are naturally lighter, but have darkened due to sun damage, dead skin build up, etc. An easy way to tell is to look in a place where literally, "the sun don't shine." Take a look at your scalp under your hair, and that'll give you a ballpark estimate of what color you are. This soap probably won't get you back to that color, but it'll lighten you up.

I personally noticed an overall brighter complexion after a week, but not necessarily a skin color change. My skin color started getting lighter once fall started and I wasn't outside as much. I usually can hold a tan through the winter, but with this soap, that's not true anymore since it exfoliates off the skin that has been tanned. I have been using this soap since August 2010, and it's now February 2011, and I am so light compared to the color that I usually am. This soap is more of an exfoliating soap, so in order to actually lighten, you'll need to keep a sunscreen on your skin to shield the sun from making your melanocytes too active (of course this isn't going to decrease the melanin production naturally present as hydroquinone would, but that's a different review!). Give it around 4-6 weeks to see a difference, because that's how long it takes for your skin to be completely regenerated.

I should also mention that you'll need a good moisturizer for this soap cuz if you don't use one, you'll dry out like a prune. This worked for my acne too. Thank God...those drug store acne kits just seemed to make me more oily.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 25, 2011 5:21:15 AM PST
Your review was so helpful that after reading it, I ordered it this morning :) I suffer from the similar problem: lighter face, arms, hands, but darker in other areas. I've been using Fair & White's soap religiously but no results. So I look forward to trying this. Thanks ;)

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 25, 2011 10:30:01 AM PST
Eric says:
No problem. It'll take a while, but in the long run it'll help a lot! Don't forget the the lotion because it'll make you all chalky and dry if you don't ahaha. Good luck!

Posted on Apr 30, 2011 8:52:22 AM PDT
Rose says:
Thank you, this review helps a lot!

Posted on Jul 6, 2013 9:16:35 PM PDT
fred6301 says:
This is an honest evaluation of the product. It is worth noting that all of the boxes at our local Asian market had the printed claims of skin whitening on the box covered (so that the claims about skin whitening were essentially removed). It seems that this must have been required by a governmental agency.Unproven Medical claims for a cosmetic item in the U.S. would not be legal.

Posted on Mar 3, 2014 3:48:26 PM PST
A. Mutumba says:
Thanks for your in-depth review I also tried this soap and found that it dried me up and I was going tray. What Moisturiser did you use that helped to balance the dryness of the soap but keep the skin light?
‹ Previous 1 Next ›