5.0 out of 5 stars My favorite cookbook, March 8, 2006
This review is from: The Vegetarian Mother's Cookbook: Whole Foods To Nourish Pregnant And Breastfeeding Women - And Their Families (Paperback)
I bought this cookbook a few months ago after I was sick and weak for an entire month. I am not a vegetarian but I am a nursing mom who is trying to eat healthier.

While the cookbook contains sections geared towards pregnancy (like herbal tonics), you do not have to be pregnant to enjoy this cookbook. For that matter, you don't have to be nursing or even have kids.

This book covers foods from very basic things like millet and quinoa to fun yummy foods like tortilla soup, shepherds pie, spanikopita, etc.

I NEVER write reviews but thought this book deserved a great one that other peope should know about.

The food contents are the following:

-breakfasts (hot & cold cereals, pancakes, waffles, french toast, -eggs, tofu, potatoes, toast, bagels, and english muffins)

-sandwiches (cold, hot, breadless lunches)

-salads & dressings

-soups and stews (stock, soup, stew)

-side dishes (grains, vegetables, cultured vegetables, biscuits)

-main dishes (savory pies, casseroles, bean & legumes, burgers, burritos, enchiladas, fajitas, pastas, stir-fries, and tofu dishes)

-dips, spreads, sauces, and condiments (salsas, dips, spreads, yogurt, cottage cheese, sauces, gravies, seasonings, condiments, breadcrumbs)

-snacks (savory snacks, quick breads, muffins, doughnuts, scones, crackers, bars, and cookies)

-desserts (cakes, crisps, pies, fruit, pudding, frozen treats, dessert toppings)

-beverages (dairy and non-dairy, thirst quenchers, smoothies, shakes, teas, and tonics)

I cook exclusively from this cookbook now and my family is very happy with all the recipes. We are very healthy too.

This cookbook focuses on how to make food their absolute healthiest. For example, most soups contain miso or nutritional yeast to boost the nutritional value. A muffin recipe I recently made had 1/2 cup of ground almonds added to the flour mixture. A creamy broccoli soup I made had ground raw cashews in it.

I've served things like creamy parsnip soup to guests and they were delighted at how yummy and healthy it was. I was a horrible soup maker before this cookbook came along and now I am awesome!

To make things even better, the format is easy to follow. I have NEVER found a cookbook that was so perfect for my lifestye.

TO make things better yet, the author gives ideas about how to reuse leftover oatmeal in muffins and provides ayummy recipe for it. She gives tips for how to make pregnancy, nursing, and life with kids easier as far as food goes. Things like putting together dry ingredients in the morning, then mimixing the wet in later, then baking even later. She really understands pregnancy and how moms need to conserve energy.

I have low blood-sugar problems and the quick lunches and helpfu tips help me like nothing ever has. Add that together with truely healthful foods and I haven't experienced blood-sugar problems since I started using this book.

I don't even have constructive criticism for this book, it is awesome is every regard.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]