Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Tap Giveaway Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Grocery Mother's Day Gifts Shop now Amazon Gift Card Offer TL256 TL256 TL256  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando ReadyRide Bikes from Diamondback Learn more

The manufacturer commented on the review belowSee comments
3.0 out of 5 stars The good and the bad, December 5, 2012
This review is from: Monopoly: Dr. Who Edition 50th Anniversary Collector's Edition (Toy)
First of all, I have to say we were very excited to see a product like this become available in the US so I did my very best to find it at a reasonable rate that wouldn't bankrupt me. I found one that listed more expensive than they are selling now but to have it sooner was worth it to my family.

So, I have to say while we have a good amount of fun playing the game I was absolutely disappointed in the quality of the game pieces. I had envisioned they would be a sturdy metal and along the lines of similar Monopoly games we own. What we received in the game were cheap metal like pieces. The umbrella lasted a good 5 games before it disconnected from the base it was on. The other pieces are of similar shoddy material though they haven't yet broken. My 11 year old was in tears thinking she'd be in trouble because she was the one playing with the umbrella piece when it broke. I assured her that I had noticed right away how cheaply made they were and was surprised it even lasted as long as it did.

I had also expected more player pieces than were included. Yes, I was super excited about the wonderful pieces listed on the box and they were all there. But, I expected more than those to be included in the game. We have a family of 5 and there are only 6 player pieces so there goes the Doctor Who game nights I had envisioned when I first set out to purchase the game. Of course with the broken umbrella I guess you could say we have 7 now. Maybe the celery will break and then we'll have 8.

I am satisfied with the game board. It is exactly as expected and any fan will get a kick out of the fact train spots are now where Tardis incarnations are and the decent enough mix of old and newish Doctor Who episode references on the board. It does fold in fourths but that won't save you any space at all considering the box is just as large as it would have been had they only folded the board in half.

There are still houses and hotels which I found rather odd but hey I suppose they didn't want to deviate to far from the Monopoly formula. They are the super cheap plastic ones though so don't get your hopes up for anything different. Its cute that instead of Chance cards you have Gallifrey cards and you have U.N.I.T. cards that replace Community Chest cards. They were clever enough to reference episodes and characters on that. I'm still puzzled that they have the regular looking Monopoly jail on the board. I would have expected a little more imagination than that.

For the Doctor Who fan who has and wants everything Doctor Who related you are going to want to purchase it but just be prepared that for an anniversary edition/ special production game it really isn't one that will stand the test of time for you. Lovely to look at though. I still give it a 3 star rating because no matter what it is still "fantastic" to own and we are the envy of our friends for now.

stem
The manufacturer commented on this review(What's this?)
Posted on Apr 10, 2014 11:34:46 AM PDT
Our first production run of Doctor Who Monopoly tokens (released in North America only) did not meet our standards of excellence. We appreciate the feedback and apologize for your disappointment.
We listened, made changes, and are phasing new & improved tokens into our next round of production. So that you can enjoy the game you've already purchased we would like to provide a new set of improved tokens at no charge.
Please send us your information here: http://usaopoly.com/game-care-customer-service-inquiry
and we will get a new & improved set of Doctor Who tokens off to you as quickly as we can.

Sincerely, Team USAopoly

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 6, 2013 12:36:26 AM PST
Angie says:
The jail should have been replaced by a Pandorica.

Posted on Feb 11, 2013 2:55:40 PM PST
I got the classic trilogy Star Wars Monopoly years ago. The pieces were just as cheaply made there as well. They are pewter, so they're a soft metal. I never did break a lightsaber - though that was a constant fear. Not terribly surprised this is the case here. Almost expected it. I'm sure we'll use the Bow Tie and Scarf the most anyway.

On the Star Wars version as well, the GO, JAIL, FREE PARKING and GO TO JAIL spaces were all classic Monopoly - I suppose this is to keep some feel of Monopoly there. I would wager that every Monopoly game keeps these - no matter the theme

It is rather disappointing to hear that the houses and hotels are the same as classic Monopoly in the Doctor Who version. In the Star Wars version, the houses were cubes with either TIE fighters or X-Wings stamped in them. The Hotels were actually shaped like Star Destroyers or Millennium Falcons. So you would think that either the houses or hotels in the Doctor Who version could be a TARDIS shape.

Still a great review, and I'm not too disappointed that my wife and I bought this for each other combined for Valentine's day!

Posted on Sep 20, 2013 2:50:37 PM PDT
Stephen Mann says:
While I feel your pain (and wonder why the pieces weren't a Dalek, Tardis, Cyberman Head, Bessie, and (shudder) K9 to start with) I would point out that you could just do what the inventor of Monopoly did and grab whatever small ornament or gewgaw is lying around.

There was a time when these Monopoly sets had sensible and desirable tokens in them. I know this because we have a small collection of Monopoly variants in our game larder.

Posted on Jan 4, 2014 6:02:42 PM PST
Yes, given the price that we paid for this, I was astonished at the absolute crap quality of the parts. Several of our metal pieces were already broken on arrival, and the board is folded into four, doesn't sit flat, and the graphics don't align where the board is cut.

Posted on Jan 28, 2014 5:07:39 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Jan 28, 2014 5:08:14 PM PST]

A comment by the manufacturer   (What's this?)
Posted on Apr 10, 2014 11:34:46 AM PDT