Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it PME Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

5.0 out of 5 stars Gorgeous Picture, Thin Frame, Right Price, April 24, 2012
This review is from: LG 60PA6500 60-Inch 1080p 600Hz Plasma HDTV (2012 Model) (Electronics)
After spending some time reading reviews and comparing prices, I decided to order the 60" version of this TV for a few reasons. I went off of the 4 1/2 star average rating for the prior model of this TV, and although this version was just released, I figured it's newly thinned-down frame would be a nice addition to an already clearly well-loved product from LG. Plasma has improved a lot in the last 3 years, and provides a better picture than LCD panels, in my opinion. Also, the price from Amazon was fantastic.

I am VERY happy with this TV and I highly recommend it. After a short warm-up period, the color and picture are nearly flawless. In a dark room, the blacks are quite pure. The sound is actually impressive for a set this thin, and I am not rushing to buy external speakers yet (although considering it). I haven't mounted it on the wall yet, but it looks nice on the stand. There is only HDMI and optical audio out, so don't plan on using standard RCA connection for your HDTV, which won't give you the optimal sound you're looking for anyway.

Unfortunately, my experience with receiving the SHIPMENT of this TV was less than favorable. Amazon uses Pilot and CEVA Logistics freight services for shipping TVs. They basically give you a 5-hour window of when they will be coming, and supposedly will call 30 minutes before showing up. While Pilot did call me the first time, upon unpacking the box it was obvious that the screen was cracked in 3 places, so I immediately refused shipment and had them pack it up to be returned. I hopped online to file a complaint with Amazon, and they told me within 12 hours that I'd be getting a replacement shipped out. OK, good, I figured this could happen, it's part of buying a TV online. The second TV was shipped via CEVA, and the delivery men claimed they had already come by my house earlier in the day and called me, but I wasn't answering my phone. They were very rude and acted like I was keeping them at work (despite the fact that I did not receive any call, and it was only 4 pm). They moved the TV around 3 times before figuring out how to put it on the stand. I was horrified! Thankfully it was in flawless condition despite the man-handling, and all is good...except that I received an email from Amazon telling me I'd be charged for the first TV if I didn't return it, even though it had already been taken away by the delivery men! Thankfully a quick email cleared this up, but it wasn't exactly comforting knowing that Amazon might decide to charge me again for such an expensive item without checking. I will probably never again buy a TV online to save some money because frankly it's not worth the hassle, but at least I had Amazon's excellent customer service to back me up.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 4 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 25, 2012 7:47:53 AM PDT
David K says:
> I will probably never again buy a TV online to save some money because frankly it's not worth the hassle

What "hassle"? Your particular experience could happen just as easily with a local purchase.

> I had Amazon's excellent customer service to back me up

Exactly, which IS reason to buy online (from Amazon).

Posted on Apr 26, 2012 1:50:02 PM PDT
Agree on the sound. I was planning to buy a sound bar shortly after setting up the tv, but found the sound to be fairly good especially after turning on the "clear voice" option. Like you, I am still considering an external speaker but it is not the must have I thought it would be.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 27, 2012 11:02:54 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 27, 2012 11:03:44 AM PDT
kev says:
David, the hassle is in having to spend hours of my time at home during the day with poor notice waiting for a broken TV delivered by shipping companies with terrible customer service. If I bought the TV at the store, I could at least open the box before leaving and taking it home to make sure it's not completely cracked.

In reply to an earlier post on May 21, 2012 1:02:07 PM PDT
Desert Heat says:
Luv to see the "car" you put that in.....Amazon has deliverd 6 (yep one in every room overlkill I know) and delivery compared to the local folks is WAY better from A.

Posted on Aug 25, 2012 8:56:59 AM PDT
S. Carter says:
Agreeing with Mr Kaufman... a set of this size purchased locally is typically no different than online commerce, unless considering places like Sam's Club, where they'll help you get it to the door... they won't even provide twine for tie-down to car roof - if you sit there long enough, you can see one rolling off the lot mattress-style, each offspring with a representative hand reaching through window for cargo stabilization. The delivery guys at least have appropriate equipment and resources (regardless of certification requirements for their field operatives).

Most retailers don't usually offer pre-delivery box-opening inspections; trip from warehouse to truck is outside customer's presence. Hence, the biggest difference may be relative number of miles your set travels as bulk cargo with its many brethren, vs. individually for delivery to you.

The REAL difference of course is cost - researching purchase options today, a candidate set on short-list at Sam's is also right here on Amazon... free shipping with Prime, no tax (until of course I declare for use-tax in April :) & $15 less; ~2 day delivery vs. immediate gratification.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›