5.0 out of 5 stars This book is the English version of Outlander, October 18, 2005
This review is from: Cross Stitch (Outlander) (Paperback)
For those who view this page to see what books other than Outlander that Diana Gabaldon wrote, look somewhere else. This is Outlander but published under a different name in Britain. Since it wasn't stated anywhere, I thought I might clarify it. I loved Outlander so I gave it 5 stars, though 4 1/2 might be more correct.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 1, 2007 5:38:09 PM PDT
Laurelnd says:
Thank you SO Much for clarifying that, and saving me money! This would have been the second time in a month that I bought something published under a different name from Amazon because they don't explain thoroughly enough. I appreciate your review!

Posted on Jun 2, 2008 9:12:20 PM PDT
Claudia says:
Yes. Thank you. It is confusing!

Posted on Jul 17, 2008 12:27:16 PM PDT
Dana Houston says:
Yup, I was definitely looking to see what else she wrote. Thanks for saying something!

Posted on Nov 28, 2008 8:41:58 PM PST
P. Roche says:
Let me add my thanks for clarifying that this is simply one of the books in the Outlander series, but published in the UK. I thoroughly enjoyed the Outlander series (I miss Claire and Jamie!) and was looking for other books by Gabaldon. I was hoping to recapture the magic of Outlander and would have been so disappointed had I bought this book. THAT CLARIFICATION SHOULD BE MADE IN THE DESCRIPTION OF THE BOOK!

Posted on Aug 20, 2010 1:45:51 PM PDT
SciFi lover says:
I read up on this a bit and found that the English (UK) published Outlander, this book Cross Stitch, has slight variation mostly involving dates and other corrections that were not correct in the Outlander book. Not that it makes the story any different. :)

Posted on Jan 30, 2013 4:48:43 PM PST
VJC says:
Very tricky of them to do this to those of us who CAN'T WAIT for each of her new books to come out.

Posted on Oct 10, 2014 11:39:45 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Oct 11, 2014 12:35:57 AM PDT]

Posted on Nov 20, 2014 3:48:49 PM PST
Gary Denton says:
In addition to the normal grammatical changes between UK and US edition the British editor asked for a number of changes in the book, toning down the sex and eliminating one scene, etc.

" No, there really are differences. <g> All the _other_ books are identical, between the US and UK editions, but for CROSS STITCH, the editor expressed concern that readers would think Claire was "cold-hearted," if she didn't worry about Frank more--so there are six small insertions (of a sentence or two) in which Claire worries explicitly about Frank. <g> The same editor also asked me to remove the sex scene that ends the "Raiders in the Rocks" chapter, fearing that it might be too graphic for her readership, and asked me to alter another so (and I quote) "it looks as though they're having _normal_ sex." <ahem> After this request, she added deprecatingly, "Of course we all _do_ that, but we don't like to admit that we do.""

Readers later found many odd little differences between the books.

‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.5 out of 5 stars (11,483 customer reviews)
 (8,940)