Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon King Explore Home Audio All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Knock snow out cold Amazon Gift Card Offer girls2 girls2 girls2  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now SnS

3.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't set me on fire, April 16, 2012
This review is from: The Fire Starter Sessions: A Soulful + Practical Guide to Creating Success on Your Own Terms (Hardcover)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I got this book based on the Martha Beck endorsement. I just recently started reading Beck, and she, well, sets me on fire. It's become clear to me that I need to find a passion and make it happen, so this book seemed perfect for me.

It's okay. I think I like Danielle LaPorte, although I'm not even sure of that. I don't love the soulfully sassy persona so many women in this genre seem to cultivate -- like it's way too expected at this point. LaPorte definitely has that persona. "I'm a smart, feminine, playful innovator with a soulful business who makes spiritual ("cellular") connections everywhere I go! And this is how you can be like me!" I *do* want to be like that, but I'm not sure it feels so original here.

I think LaPorte has good ideas and a good grasp of what she's selling, but I don't find her exercises or worksheets compelling. Not that they're bad, or pointing me in the wrong direction, but they don't necessarily feel relevant, or fire-starting, for me.

I think if you *know* specifically what career path you want already, this might be more useful. She starts with a few exercises related to finding that, but so much of the book assumes you have a dream and a vision, I think it would be more useful if you need motivation help rather than visioning help. Most of her examples, too, talk about people who need motivation help rather than visioning help, so I'm guessing this is where her strength is.

So yeah, if you have a vision and need help developing the faith and motivation to just make it happen, this is probably a good fit. If you're looking for help in developing that vision, this probably isn't the place to start.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 6 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 16 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 17, 2012 10:00:10 AM PDT
You might find the book, "Is Your Genius at Work?: 4 Key Questions to Ask Before Your Next Career Move" by Dick Richards.
This book can help you figure out your "what and why?", before working on the "How can I do it?". You can read the book sample here on Amazon and reviews as well. Or at least check out a copy of the book at your local library. Good luck on your journey of self-discovery!

Posted on Apr 21, 2012 1:25:41 AM PDT
BeCheryl says:
She's not selling. She is guiding you to ask yourself if you want something different and if you do, jump!..go get it! You dont have to know what you want; just stop and listen to what your voice inside is telling you, then take a step in that direction. You can't have all the answers unless you make an effort. No one can guide you but you.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 21, 2012 7:37:39 AM PDT
Julia James says:
Jennifer -- Thanks for the recommendation! I'll check it out.

Cheryl -- I agree with everything you're saying, and yet this is a book purporting to help you find those answers. If no one can guide you but you, there's no point to books like this at all. This is supposed to help you listen to what that inner voice is saying. And I think this book does, what I'm saying is just that I don't think this is as helpful to folks who don't already know what their dream is as it might be to those who have already gone through those first stages. I'm very willing to make an effort, I just didn't find that the effort this book was asking me to make was fruitful for me, at this moment in my life. So my review isn't slamming the book, just trying to highlight who might or might not benefit most from it.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 22, 2012 5:02:33 PM PDT

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 23, 2012 6:15:27 AM PDT
Hi Sabrina,

You write, "There are specific areas in the book and worksheets that focus on passion and getting the the heart of the matter..." and it's because of this inclusion that I actually lowered the number of stars I was offering! Because the book is purporting to be helpful in that way, but those exercises really didn't feel helpful to me. Had it those chapters been omitted, I probably would have just felt like I wasn't even meant to be the audience, but since they were included, I wanted to weigh in on how they felt to me.

Julia

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 23, 2012 8:43:08 AM PDT
Da-Rion says:

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 23, 2012 9:48:33 AM PDT
Julia James says:
That's all fine....Amazon asked me to write a review of the book, so I did.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 26, 2012 9:57:09 AM PDT
Jojoleb says:
I also reviewed the book and gave it two thumbs way up, but not every book is for every person.

I really liked Julia's review because she gives us a valid take on the book. Julia tells us exactly why the book didn't resonate with her and points out specific reasons, which is really the hallmark of a great review. She simply gives us her perspective.

When people are deciding whether or not to buy this book, they don't necessarily need yet another no-holds-barred, rave review. (You know, like mine.) They really need more than one perspective and this is the first posted review that really gives a potential buyer just that.

Once again, no one book will appeal to every person.

Go Julia!

Posted on Apr 30, 2012 3:27:58 PM PDT

In reply to an earlier post on May 1, 2012 1:46:44 PM PDT
Hi Julia, great review. I understood what you were saying and my review is pretty much the same.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›