4.0 out of 5 stars Not bad at all..., January 5, 2010
This review is from: Shark Steam Pocket Multi-Purpose Portable Steamer, SC630 (Kitchen)
I purchased this item from my local Walmart wanting something RIGHT NOW to get some heavy duty cleaning done. Does it work, yes, absolutely! Could it be improved upon, yes, absolutely!

First of all, for those reporting lack of actual steam, not only must you let the unit warm up for the 30 - 45 seconds first, you must also hold the trigger in until the steam comes out of whatever attachment you are using. Note that the trigger, as mentioned before, could stand to have a locking mechanism so you don't need to hold it constantly while cleaning - I found a large hair clip did the job nicely.

Next, just having to tote the steamer jug around is a bit of a pain. It's not terribly heavy, but it is a hindrance. A little longer length of hose could solve that issue, but I'm afraid the Euro-Pro people probably already tried that and found a great loss of steam power.

Now for the cleaning - I used the large wedge for the job I chose to tackle which was the walls and ceiling of a 12' X 12' room. These surfaces had not been cleaned in a long time and had seen it all - nicotine, heating oil residue, general grit and grime, etc. I was actually surprised at the amount of time I had to work between fill-ups and when the steamer needed to be refilled, I used that opportunity to rinse out the cloth cover for the wedge. I wrung out that cover and it worked just fine...even using it wet (which it eventually gets as you use it anyway), all surfaces dried quite quickly. I was working around shelving units and stuff piled up next to the walls so I didn't exactly clean all of the walls, but I did get the entire ceiling and most of the wall surfaces done in about 20 minutes with 4 rinses of the cloth (these surfaces were dirty!!). The walls and ceiling are painted in a semi-gloss so I can not attest to how well it would work with a flat paint finish.

While you shouldn't put anything but tap or distilled water into the steamer, I found that washing the cloth with a mild detergent before rinsing and wringing produced a nice deodorized, just cleaned scent.

September 24th addition to my review! Nine months later and my Shark Steam Pocket is still going strong! I have fixed the trigger issue by using a Velcro "cord keeper" strap I found at a hardware store so I no longer have to constantly hold that trigger in which is a huge help. I also sewed up some of my own pocket covers and use another Velcro cord keeper strap to keep them on the large steamer head, placing the cover over the head and using the strap as the elastic drawstring is used on the original covers. I was able to make some of fluffy terrycloth and made several using some cheap microfiber cleaning cloths that work well when I need a little elbow grease.

Since reviews are still mixed with people either loving or hating the Shark, I would highly recommend purchasing the unit either locally or at a good online retailer with free and easy returns in case you end up with a less than perfect unit.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 12, 2010 10:35:09 AM PST
N. Moran says:
What kind of hair clip?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 12, 2010 4:33:27 PM PST
I used a roundish alligator-type clip meant to hold a thick ponytail and it fit just right, but could be knocked off here and there. I then switched to a small Velcro strap I found in a hardware store.

Hope this helps!

Posted on Sep 24, 2010 6:27:46 AM PDT
modern mommy says:
Helpful post! The hair clip or velcro suggestion could easily and cheaply fix the trigger problem that a few people complained about. You should add your velcro solution to your post as an update.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 24, 2010 7:15:11 AM PDT
Thank you! I will do that!

Posted on Jul 31, 2014 7:48:44 AM PDT
L. Potter says:
Thank you for the excellent ideas! My hands are not really strong and holding the trigger down would have been painfu and disappointing. I am going to buy one now after all!!!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

Reviewer

Location: Land of Cheese & The Green Bay Packers!