286 of 365 people found the following review helpful
My baby could have choked to death on this toy!,
Verified Purchase(What's this?)
This review is from: Vulli Sophie the Giraffe Teether (Baby Product)
We've had Sophie for a little while, and until 3 days ago, I often recommended it to others. I am still a bit traumatized over what happened (and could have happened), and would definitely NOT recommend it unless a baby is secure and unable to roll over with it. I would also strongly caution anyone who owns this toy to PLEASE be careful and supervise your child at all times! I am extremely careful about my children's toys (choking hazards don't stay in the house!), yet the possibility of this hazard didn't even occur to me until it happened. Hopefully, sharing my experience will prevent a tragedy for another family.
My teething baby was chewing on Sophie and rolled onto his tummy (he is not yet able to roll from tummy to back consistently). When he rolled, Sophie's long leg jammed into his throat. Since he was on top of it and couldn't roll back, he could not get it out. I was right there and didn't even realize what was happening until he made a muffled crying sound. When I picked him up, he was already turning purple and immediately vomited and started screaming. Just another minute or two and the situation could have turned tragic. So far, neither the US distributor nor the manufacturer has responded to my attempts to contact them, but I'm hopeful they will respond and implement a design change (shorter legs?) to eliminate the possibility of this happening.
Tracked by 5 customers
Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 24 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 9, 2011 5:54:46 PM PDT
J. Werner says:
Oh wow, that is horrible! I'm so glad your baby is OK. My daughter loves Sophie but she is 9 months old so I think she will be OK. Maybe they need to change the packaging so others know it's not for younger babies.
Posted on Aug 14, 2011 1:58:49 PM PDT
A. Forward says:
Ya totally agree. I found out too this should not be used during tummy time. I only use it when she sitting up in her high chair or in a car seat so she can't fall on the long legs.
Posted on Dec 31, 2011 7:05:23 AM PST
Sheena M. says:
I totally agree! there are teething toys out there that are IMPOSSIBLE to choke on, so all you people defending Sophie the Giraffe as the best teething toy on the market are completely deluded. I would never buy this stupid thing! thank goodness your baby is ok.
Posted on Feb 18, 2012 7:27:20 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 18, 2012 7:33:20 PM PST
Posted on Apr 19, 2012 2:51:16 PM PDT
M. Rodriguez says:
seriously?! why would you leave baby unsupervised with any toy
In reply to an earlier post on May 3, 2012 2:55:26 AM PDT
D. Rude says:
Um, she didn't...read the review again!
Posted on Jun 2, 2012 11:31:44 AM PDT
I don't know, I think the lesson from this review is to only allow your baby to play with small teething toys while sitting up--in a carseat, stroller, or Bumbo. Not to eliminate them altogether. Panicking and eliminating toys that are excellent for baby when used properly is probably not the best reaction to such a scary situation. For example, when my toddler choked on a tortilla chip, I didn't stop letting him eat tortilla chips...I realized I needed to break them into smaller pieces. Learn and adjust...
Posted on Jun 16, 2012 12:05:56 PM PDT
This very same thing happened to my son last night!!! It was so scary, thank God we were there when it happened! Will be writing a one star review and contacting the manufacturer as well.
In reply to an earlier post on Jul 17, 2012 8:40:38 AM PDT
my grandson was sitting up and still choked on sophies long leg. could not breath.
In reply to an earlier post on Jul 17, 2012 8:43:01 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Jul 17, 2012 8:43:17 AM PDT]