4.0 out of 5 stars Best Product for the Price, April 29, 2011
This review is from: Sylvania SDVD8732 7-Inch Dual Screen Portable DVD Player with Built In 3.5 Hour Lithium Battery and USB/SD Card Reader (Electronics)
I bought this dvd system a week before a 7 hour road trip. We had bought a minivan 2 weeks before, but had not yet had a chance to install an overhead tv/dvd system. My husband was initially against getting these, since we plan on installing the overhead tv, but I convinced him by pointing out he and our son will likly be occupying said tv playing video games while the younger girls whine in the back. He quickly agreed with me after that. LOL.
Initially I was looking for 9 inch screens. I was afraid the 7 inch would be too small. I was wrong. The 7 inch screens are more than adequete for my 3 and 6 year old.
The main deciding factors for purchasing this product over the others were the sd/usb capability and the 5 hour battery. This is the only portable system I could find with sd/usb capability. It also happened to be one of the cheapest. Yay! The difficulty in accessing the dvd player wasn't really a concern of mine, because I honestly didn't plan on using it. It's so much easier to insert the sd card preloaded with multiple movies especially in a vehicle. Personally I used 2 4gb card with 4-5 movies per card. To my utter delight, when the first movie was finished, it automatically started the next movie on the card!!! So great for long car rides.
I chose this model with the battery over the cheaper one, because I didn't like the idea that I was going to have to restart the movie every time I got gas or turned off my vehicle. The battery takes care of this and continues to play the movie while pumping, however, it only continues to play the movie on the main screen. Luckily the extra screen that turned off, was in front of my 6 year old and there were no major meltdowns or tantrums. She just leaned over and watched her sisters screen for a few minutes.
The mounting system is a basic velcro type strap mounting. Nothing fancy, but I wasn't needing or expecting it to be. It holds the tv's to the headrest. It would have been a pain to access the dvd player, had I been using the dvd player, but so would inserting a new dvd every hour and a half. Trust me, preload a sd card, I think it can read up to a 16gb, but don't quote me, with as many movies as you can, and don't even mess with the dvd player. No worries about bumps and skipping either.
The picture quality is okay. It's not the best I've ever seen, but it's not bad either. The viewing angles are also good. My son crawled back there and watched with them at one point. The sound output is great. My older daughter wore her headphones most of the time, but my younger one only lasted a few hours with them on. It's a big van though, so I could listen to the radio in the front, while they listened to their movies in the back with very little bleeding between.
All in all, I loved this product. Could it be better, sure, but then it wouldn't be $109. It is an excellent value and well worth the quiet peaceful roadtrip I had. I would definitely recommend.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 10 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 24 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 25, 2011 7:21:15 PM PDT
Mrs Miceli says:
How do you put copyright dvd's on a sd card?

In reply to an earlier post on May 28, 2011 9:26:13 AM PDT
momof3 says:
PLEASE -- I have been working for the past 2 hours trying to figure out HOW to put DVDs onto an SD card, no luck yet. HOW did you do that? is there a software that you used?

thanks!

In reply to an earlier post on May 28, 2011 1:47:36 PM PDT
Mammlouk says:
Use handbrake to rip the dvds with your PC.

In reply to an earlier post on May 28, 2011 2:08:22 PM PDT
momof3 says:
Thanks - I did this, but handbrake would only save it as an M4V (?) file... I guess that's the file type apple uses for itunes? handbrake didn't offer the option to save as an Mpeg - 4.

Posted on May 29, 2011 12:01:33 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on May 29, 2011 12:02:10 PM PDT]

Posted on May 29, 2011 12:04:46 PM PDT
S. James says:
Excellent review. You answered almost every question I had about this product. Do you happen to know what the maximum size of SD card it will except?

In reply to an earlier post on May 29, 2011 2:20:51 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 29, 2011 2:22:21 PM PDT
James,
We are using a 16 GB card, and it's fine. Not sure the max. File types supported are: DVD, mpeg 4, svcd, vcd, cd, mp3, xvid and jpeg.

Hope that helps. Got that info from the owners manual.

Posted on Jun 19, 2011 12:43:29 PM PDT
can you view 2 seperate movies with these dvd players or only one?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 25, 2012 2:31:11 PM PST
SW says:
The movie file I was able to play from the usb/sd was a VOB (DVD) file. But it is jumpy, it does not play smoothly on the DVD player but plays fine on my computer. Do you have the same problem?

Posted on Feb 25, 2012 3:57:48 PM PST
S. James says:
Crystal, You can only view 1 DVD at a time with this setup. One screen has the DVD player and USB/SD inputs, the other screen is just a display.

S. White, I suggest converting your VOB files to Divx or .mp4. Not only will they play smoothly, they'll be about 1/4 of the file size (you'll get more videos onto your USB drive). There are tons of converters you can download for free and some nicer ones you can pay for. I use Handbrake to convert all of my DVDs' and other files to .mp4 before loading onto this device. It's opensource (free) and easy to use. Just google handbrake, can't miss it. FYI-Handbrake will not convert copyrighted DVDs on it's own. You will need something like AnyDVD (not free) to help with that.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›