2.0 out of 5 stars Great Jumpers, terrible chemical smell, November 8, 2011
= Durability:5.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Breadboard Jumper Wire 75pcs pack (Electronics)
These jumpers seem to be of good quality and work well, however...

There is some kind of chemical on them that really really really smells - kind of like creosote.

After you touch them your hands have the bad smell on them. Leaving them open to the air does not seem to help. Either it is a coating (oil or some kind of toxic smelling mold release chemical?), or the plastic itself is emitting this chemical. I'd sure like to know if it's toxic.

I am going to try washing them in some kind of alchohol/soap solution to see if I can fix this. It's foul!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 15, 2011 1:09:00 AM PST
PaulW says:
I tried to get the smell off these several ways without success. First I soaked them in vinegar for an hour and then rinsed them. That didn't work so I soaked them in windex and dishsoap for 30 minutes. After rinsing carefully - they still stank powerfuly. So I thought maybe there is some adhesive in the tips that isn't dry, so I put them in a tube (from a shopvac) and placed a hair dryer at one end, high fan, medium heat. I left it that way for an HOUR and 20 minutes (blowing out the back door), they got quite warm. The smell outside was terrific, about like walking into a dry cleaner on a pungent day. Even after 80 minutes it still smelled that way! SO then I left them sit for a few days to air out, and they still have that odor. What kind of Chinese chemical is this, and what is it doing in my jumper wires??? It won't go away, so I will have to trash these (I have others on order).
I hope that Amazon will stop these from being sold. I am going to contact them, and the seller. Needless to say that I would give these zero stars if I could.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 18, 2011 1:22:23 AM PST
D. Watson says:
I understand what you went through. I set them in our sun room for two months and finely the smell went away. It takes time. Other then the smell these are really handy when used with a bread board.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 17, 2012 3:46:36 PM PDT
jason scott says:
It's the chemical they use for overseas shipping of parts that will corrode. I forget what it's called but it's pretty common for things shipped on boats.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 1, 2012 1:08:53 AM PDT
So has Amazon done any thing about this or are they just letting the buyer be weir?

Posted on Sep 10, 2012 8:52:18 PM PDT
J. Greene says:
Has anyone tried setting them on fire? Meaning is the solvent flammable?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 11, 2012 5:34:56 PM PDT
D. Watson says:
It would not only burn off the moth ball smell, but it would melt the insulation rendering the hook up wire useless at least or make it easier to short with other wires on the other hand. I would not go this route.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.4 out of 5 stars (218 customer reviews)

$5.50