4.0 out of 5 stars Better than thought, May 12, 2011
This review is from: Kodak PlaySport (Zx5) HD Waterproof Pocket Video Camera - Red (2nd Generation) (Electronics)
I got this a few days ago and have played with it a lot. I have a 2yr old grandson, so I have a lot to film.. :-) After reading some reviews I was not sure if I should get this, but I have had a lot of good experiences with Kokak, point and shoot and the Zi8, I decieded to give it a go and I am glad I did. I think some people are being overly critical of the device in regards to quality of the HD. Some others I think just have got a bad unit and they should just return it and try it again (the ones with freezing and screen issues.) Now, if it does crap out on me in a few weeks, that's another issue, but I am going to remain positive and just base this review on honest expectations and experience.

I have owned a number of camera's including a Panasonic DVX100 prosumer camera that I use for short films. So quality is important to me. That said, the video quality for the camera is quite good for what it is. And what it is, is a small, point and shoot HD cameara with a small sensor. So outside shots are going to look great, indoor, depending on lighting, you are going to get artifacts. To expect anything any different from this level of camera is foolish. If you want low level light without grain then spend a couple of grand at least...it's all about the sensor size when it comes to low light, any of these small camera's are going to have issues, use the grain to your advantage, get creative and have fun or shell out bucks.

Also on the video quality I have noticed that the type of monitor matters as well and your viewing distance. If you get up close and on some monitors it does look a bit grainy even in good lighting, but if you use HDMI and a good tv and view it at a "normal" viewing distance the video looks very good, better than I thought it would actually.

I have had no issues with audio/video syncing and I have shot in every way I can 720, 720-60 and 1080, no issues with playback but I have a pretty powerful PC, editing the 1080 video is a pain, I have to convert it first but that is to be expected, editing HD, and I mean truely editing it, not just cuting it, takes up a lot of CPU power and you need a really good PC or Mac for that. But I bought this camera to take quick clips and upload them to youtube and my website, not make a movie with it.

As a portable camea, I love it, it fits right in my pocket, it's rugged, so I don't mind my grandson playing with it and it shots good video that is easy to upload and share. To me, it's totaly worth the money. I will get a really good HD camera and spend some bucks to do so for more "serious" things and video's but for just the everyday things, hiking, going to amusment parks, going to the park, vacations on the beach, etc, you can't beat this camera.

One last thing the auto focus on this device is very good, and I do mean very good, most of these small cameras including the point and shoot digitals that also shoot HD video have major issues with the focus. Every point an shoot I have had that shoots HD video that has had auto focus doesn't do it well at all or it has a fixed focus and with a little one you end up with a lot of blurry video's. But this one has handled it all in stride, that alone almost makes it worth getting it.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]