4.0 out of 5 stars Open, honest and doggone funny ..., March 31, 2009
This review is from: It Sucked and Then I Cried: How I Had a Baby, a Breakdown, and a Much Needed Margarita (Hardcover)
Count me in as one of Heather's fans. I'm biased and I know it, especially after seeing her reading when she came to Chicago. She was so personable, so kind and so down to earth for someone so wildly popular. Fame doesn't seem to have gone to her head, which is more than I can say about so many other celebrities - which she definitely is, within the blogosphere, and with the publication of this book perhaps even beyond.

I love Heather's writing. It's so honest, and so, so funny. Others have noted the book's nothing more than a compilation of the blog entries. Well, the blog relates her daily life. She's covered this ground before, so of course it's based on that. Also like others, I'd have loved to hear more about her depression, a bit more about what life was like when it started for her. An overall more detailed expression of what depression is, how it turned around so quickly, perhaps her conversations with her therapist.

But, keep in mind. This is someone's life we're talking about here. There are probably some details she'd rather not put out there. She already gives us a lot. I feel like I know her, which is an eerie feeling, especially after actually seeing her, knowing she knows nothing about me, but I know so much about her.

I enjoyed the book. I read it in about two days, but would have gotten through it faster had I not had grad school homework, too. I identified with so, so much of it. What she writes about having a newborn, especially a cranky baby, and the resulting exhaustion, feelings of guilt and fear, etc., are dead on. I remembered how it was with my first baby, and everything she said I remembered with my own daughter. It made me feel less alone, less like I was a failure when my daughter was little. She also made me feel better about post-partum depression, how you can't just "snap out of it," and how it's not the baby causing it but an imbalance in the brain/chemistry.

So, maybe those who've read the blog and wanted more do have a point. Those unfamiliar with her are the best audience for the book. After reading it they'll probably flock to read her daily writing. But I appreciate Heather for the open, honest, and damn funny person she is. She's talented, in so many ways. I think she deserves her fame, deserves such a wide readership who love and cheer for her.

I wasn't disappointed with the book, but as I said I'm admittedly very biased. I feel thankful to her for so openly talking about issues a lot of us can identify with. She makes me feel better, in some ways less "abnormal," and more hopeful. Yet, her writing also works for those who haven't experienced depression.

I'd recommend the book to any woman I know, and I'm going to give away a signed copy on my own blog to one very lucky winner who will no doubt enjoy it as much as I did.

[Add comment]