5.0 out of 5 stars Works great on my Mac - I've always been satisfied with Seagate and this is a great price and great quality, September 11, 2009
This review is from: Seagate USB 2.0 External Hard Drive 1 TB USB 2.0 External Hard Drive ST310005EXA101-RK - Black (Personal Computers)
I can't speak to the issues that some of the other reviewers have had, but I have to say I've been very impressed by this drive. You've got to plug it in so it's not really an "on-the-go" kind of drive, but that's not what I needed. I have a couple of FreeAgent Go drives for that (and the reason I went with Seagate this time is because I've been so impressed with the other Seagates). This time, I wanted a big drive that I could use as a Time Machine backup for my MacBook Pro, and as a backup for all of the video files I've shot over the years. So far I've been very happy with this drive. One thing I noted right away is that it actually has slightly more than 1TB of space! With every other external drive I've ever used the actual amount of usable memory has been a bit less than advertised, even after I've reformatted them. With this one you get what is advertised. It's a USB 2.0 data connection, and from what I've seen manages to move files more quickly than my older Western Digital 500GB desktop firewire drive.

For comparison, I tried moving a 2.15 GB video file back and forth between my laptop's hard drive and a few of my external drives. This one was fastest at both downloads and uploads - it would download the 2.15 GB file in one minute, 17 s. as opposed to 1 min., 40 for the portable FreeAgent Go and 1 min., 37 for the Western Digital. Uploading results were similar: it would upload the same 2.15 GB video file in 1 minute, 10 s. while the other drives uploaded in about 1 minute, 20 s. So, it's pretty fast and does exactly what I need - I've got no complaints and am very happy about the price (which turns out to be almost exactly what I paid a year or so ago for my 320GB portable drive and much less than what I paid about 3 years ago for my 500 GB desktop drive). What's not to like?

One more thing, for Mac users. While this drive is set up out of the factory to plug and play on Windows it can easily be converted to a handy Mac drive. Here's how:

1. plug it in to your Mac, using the USB 2.0 cable provided with the drive

2. open up your applications folder, search for the utilities folder and then run "disk utility" (or, just search for "disk utility" in finder or spotlight and click on it).

3. you should see an icon for your "1 TB Seagate Desktop Media" drive in the left column of "disk utility" and also a drive partition (as I recall it was called "desktop" but I changed the name) underneath that.

4. click on the icon labelled "1 TB Seagate Desktop Media" and you'll see a few options in the window; click "partition"

5. after this steps will vary depending on what you want to do with this. For what I wanted, I decided to create two partitions on my hard drive. So, under "volume scheme" I selected "2 partitions" then clicked on the top one and set it to 250 GB and that left 750.10 GB on the other one. For the "format" I selected "Mac OS X Extended" but you'd want to select the journaled option if you want to use either of these drives as a "boot disk". I didn't. Then hit "apply" and it will erase everything on the disk and break it into two sections.

Now when you plug in the hard drive two icons will appear on your desktop, as if there were two separate external drives. I use the smaller one for regular backups and the larger one for storing all of my old video files. I'm sure there are lots of other ways to get an excellent value from this sleek and handy little drive. Enjoy!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 6 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 34 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 23, 2009 6:54:25 AM PST
Just a quick question- How are you using this as your Time Machine? Is it attached to an AirPort? Do you leave it plugged in all the time? Or do you just plug it in to back it up?

Thanks!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 23, 2009 6:56:58 AM PST
I just plug it in to back it up, but I do leave it plugged in whenever it's on.

Posted on Jan 9, 2010 8:25:37 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 9, 2010 8:27:01 PM PST
R. Wei says:
This is not a review of the 500gb Seagate, it is the 1TB - it is in the wrong place, it came up when looking at the 500gb

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 9, 2010 9:11:10 PM PST
You're right, R. Weissfeld. I posted this under the 1TB drive and not the 500GB. Amazon often links reviews of products that are not identical. It's usually not a big issue - different colored products or slight variations, or reviews for the theatrical release of a movie show up under the dvd and blu-ray. In this case, though, there might be significant differences in performance between the two drives, so thanks for reiterating that my experience and review applies only to the 1 TB drive.

Posted on Jan 9, 2010 9:18:43 PM PST
One minor additional point: I did go to the Amazon page for the 500 GB version of this drive and saw my review there. It does say under the title of my review that it is for the 1 TB drive, so this is not really misplaced. I guess they assumed that more reviews would be helpful and included all reviews for all three Seagate drives that appear in the same casing. They are all marked, though, as applying to the product that was initially reviewed.

Posted on Jan 23, 2010 5:39:01 PM PST
C. Katrakis says:
Question here: A review two down from yours suggested running a surface scan. As he hasn't responded to a question on his review, I was wondering if you know what that is / how one goes about doing that with a Mac? I'm new to the Mac world, and never knew that much about the PC world anyway. Thanks!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 23, 2010 6:05:45 PM PST
C. Katrakis - As I understand it, a surface scan is an exhaustive test of each sector of the drive that should identify any bad sectors. Mac's "Disk Utility" does something like this when you select the disk drive and choose "Verify Disk". But when you partition and reformat the drive, as described above, I think that should catch major problems with the drive. To be more safe, you might want to partition and reformat the drive, then verify it and repair if there are any problems. I'm sure there are specialized programs that can do more sophisticated testing on hard drives (search for "free apps surface scan mac" in google and there are several that claim to do this), but I've never used anything other than Disk Utility and found it to resolve most problems I've had with hard drives. Good luck.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 1, 2010 11:50:30 PM PST
A. Ravi says:
Quick question... do you experience any significant noises (clicking etc.) in the 1TB hard drive as noted in the 1.5TB ones? Thanks...

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 2, 2010 5:06:01 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 2, 2010 6:27:23 AM PST
It appears to be a part of the design of the drive that when you plug it in and it mounts there's a clicking noise. Every once in a while I used to get that same clicking on and off for a few moments and then it would stop. Something mechanical going on in there. But it was always temporary, and hasn't seemed to affect performance. I've been running the drive almost non-stop as a backup for 6 months and it's still running fine.

I should also say that I haven't noticed the on and off clicking -- apart from the usual click in sound as it mounts -- for a while now. One change is that I got a new external hard drive for video storage and so I use this one exclusively for Time Machine backups now. When I got the new hard drive I also repartitioned this one so it is only a single partition. Since then I haven't noticed the clicking. I don't really know enough about the mechanics of this drive to say for sure whether that resolved the problem, or whether the multiple partitions were partially responsible for whatever created the occasional clicking. It would be interesting to ask whether some of the other folks who have noticed the clicking have multiple partitions on their drive. (If that does cause a problem, of course, it would be a good reason to try another drive). In any case, with my setup as is, it hasn't been clicking for a while and is still running fine.

Posted on Feb 14, 2010 1:25:27 PM PST
MRB says:
dude, you rock. thanks for the HD tutorial from a mac newbie.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›