5.0 out of 5 stars Great Value, awesome! But don't expect it to compete with $3000 camera, October 12, 2009
This review is from: Kodak Zi8 Pocket Video Camera - Black (Camera)
I rarely will type/review products but I've been a little frustrated reading the reviews of this product on Amazon and by users at other sites. Many users seem to think that this camera was designed to compete with expensive, professional cameras that cost thousands of dollars and produce full HD quality video. That's not what this is. Also, while my camera hasn't had the 'noise' issue from the Mic, i have seen a camera that had the issue and its BARELY noticeable. Its almost like a very quiet background noise from a Florescent light or something.

Kodak has designed, marketed, and built a camera to compete with FLiP and has clearly produced a FAR better product.

I'll keep it short and sweet and first explain who I am and what I am using this camera for. I use it for:
-Home Videos/Fun stuff with old buddies and friends
-For work when I need some quick video that's easy to upload online, or put in iMovie and edit
-For work when I need more complex videos that may require editing, or somewhat lengthy video but I want the ease of use/portability.

I have seen some of the problems stated with the internal Mic and I have had none of them (I do have the upgraded Firmware that is now standard 1.03, and Kodak says this completely eliminates the issue...again have never had the issue on my camera). A relative of mine was lucky enough to purchase this product when Kodak did an 'early' release a few months ago and occasionally his videos will have a bit of a higher pitched background noise, but it doesn't interfere with the sound from the video -- its just a light background noise that, honestly, i've heard on dozens of cameras. Don't forget, without an external Mic the camera only records mono so -- the sounds quality isn't going to be great anyway!

The video is great, image stability isn't as advanced as those available on more expensive cameras but it is better than anything i've seen in a FLiP or other Kodak model. It does work and you can see a difference, even if its not huge. Its SO easy to flip between video modes. The 1080p is awesome, but sometimes its nice to move back down to 720 and the 60fps to capture 'action' footage.

One negative -- which most people may see as a positive -- i do wish there were more settings, or at least the ability to play around with more features/edit modes. Its GREAT easy to use, its a point and shoot video camera -- but with the great lens and abilities, it seems like Kodak could have -- pretty easily -- had this camera competing with much higher end cameras. If all the hardware was put to great use this could compete with $500+ cameras. But I understand wanting to keep it simple.

I like having the SD card. Some people would prefer the internal memory, and yes by the time you buy a decent sized SD card the camera is more expensive than the FLiP, but, the FLiP has a very limited memory. This camera is limited only by the size of the card...Definitely a positive!

Finally, I know people that are both in the TV business and do a lot of Video blogging and they are drooling over this camera because of the external mic capabilities. One reason lots of 'pros' didn't like FLiP was because of the audio issues. Kodak has solved those, not to mention providing better quality video.

Again this isn't something to shoot with if your a young film-maker or a die-hard amateur cinematographer. But if you need something cheap to get some great quality video, or need something super easy to use that is really portable....Take the plunge. And if your considering FLiP -- don't bother...

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 2, 2009 5:30:42 AM PST
ButcherChop says:
thank you.

Posted on Dec 8, 2009 10:45:32 AM PST
TravelBug says:
My daughter has a Mac. Will this camcorder this work? I know the software doesn't but am ignorant enough to not know if that means the footage isn't downloadable - or if just means she couldn't use the software to edit it. I JUST bought a Flip UltraHD yesterday but didn't realize that it doesn't have a SD card slot. 2 hrs of recording isn't much on vacation and I'm not sure if my daughter will take her laptop. If she doesn't, her recording time will be limited.

Posted on Dec 8, 2009 11:08:19 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Dec 8, 2009 11:08:58 AM PST]

Posted on Jan 21, 2010 5:37:58 AM PST
Dog Crazy says:
Thank you - I have a flip mino HD and trying to find something I like better.

Posted on Dec 4, 2010 9:34:13 PM PST
"Red Baron" says:
Basically, like the camera. I wanted something that would fit in my pocket and take HD video and it does an amazing job. Just took videos in WVGA mode of a Christmas parade on a very dim,overcast day with heavy snow and they came out very bright. The zoom is fairly useless- the quality goes to junk when you zoom out and is not worth viewing.
I am very upset by one thing though and would not have purchased if I had known beforehand. You cannot offload files to the computer and then put them back on the zi8. I called support and they just said ' that may not work'. Very dissapointing -all other Flash devices I have allow this. Actually the files will copy back to th zi8 but it does not recognize them. That means that I can't offload and delete any files and then put them back on for viewing on my 42" TV. So, you can never delete or build a selected slideshow to play back - better buy a bunch of Sd cards. I just hope they post a fix for this soon because it is very frustrating.

Posted on Dec 4, 2010 9:39:38 PM PST
"Red Baron" says:

Posted on May 19, 2011 7:35:56 AM PDT
We bought the camera to take on vacation this summer and have been practicing taking video with our dog, and some construction work at our home. I seem to have lost the instruction book that came with it though, does anyone know where I can get another? It really didn't have a lot of instructions anyway, but every little bit helps. We haven't used the camera a lot yet, but from what we have we really like it, as you said don't expect it to compete with a more expensive camera but for the money it is really a nice little camera and takes very good video. Very pleased with everything except the instruction book.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.9 out of 5 stars (792 customer reviews)

Used & New from: $94.50