Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM

2.0 out of 5 stars Decent buy if you can't afford anything better., July 18, 2012
This review is from: CowboyStudio Set of Two 7 feet Photography Light Stands with Cases (Electronics)
So, ill start out by saying this....i have never given a review for an item that has received less than 3 or 4 stars. I have always. Had. Great luck purchasing on Amazon, and always do my research on every item, as well as reading all reviews, prior to purchasing. That said, I was so displeased by this item, i felt compelled to immediately log on and share my experience, as after 2 weeks, the items finally arrived today!

Heres the situation....I am a professional filmmaker and commercial director. I own a production house and a media marketing agency on the east coast. My company produces over 100 television commercials per year, half of which, I personally direct. In addition, I work on various film and television projects both professionally and in my spare time. Normally for items like this, I will purchase professional grade equipment that I am confident will perform at 100%. Recently, however, I have been hired to direct a low budget film in which I needed to purchase a lot of additional equipment. One of those purchases was this item, along with an extendable arm for holding reflectors, and a large reflector that was bundled together here on Amazon. I know in this business, you get what you pay for, but i needed the extra items and was on a limited budget for my client. This seemed like a solid choice for the money, and the reviews were great....so I ordered....over 2 weeks ago.

The item was supposedly in stock, and I paid for the upgraded shipping to receive it faster. I had expected to receive the item with in 3 or 4 days, as that was the option I selected at purchase. The reality, though, was almost 2 weeks of my item saying "Shipping Soon" as the seller didn't send the item out for almost 2 weeks. Finally once shipped, it only took a few days to arrive, which was some relief, but the problems really come when I opened the items.

I was pleased to find the stands individually packed in decent looking carry bags, which will certainly come in hand. When i pulled the first stand out of the bag, I heard the irritating sound of metal falling to the floor. I looked down to notice that one of the screws that holds the legs to the folding supports, was laying on the ground. Upon inspection, I discovered the problem...instead of the attachment being made via a screw, washer, and a nut, the manufacturer had attachedthe pieces with a screw and 2 washers....not nut. So, when I opened the item, the screw just fell to the floor and the leg pieces dangled un attached. Fortunately, I had a nut on hand that fit, and I repaired the item with little aggrevation.

When I opened the second stand, I tried opening out the legs, with no luck. I checked to ensure that the release was lossened, and there was nothing else causing the issue. I continued to try for about a minute or two before the legs finally, slowly, opened. The legs were so stiff, that it took all of my strength to pry them open. For these stands to function properly, they will require a bit of work. Im not too happy about this, as I already waited to long for the items to even ship out to me, Im afraid to do what I would prefer to do, and send them back! At this point, Im probably better off just keeing them and trying to fix the. To make them work.

Like I said...i know that we get what we pay for and for $25, its a great deal...If they worked as they should. If this is all that you can afford, than I hope the items you receive dont arrive the way that mine did. If you can afford better equipment, I would suggest forgetting about these stands, and buying something that you know will perform as it should. Now, I gave the items 2 stars still in effort to be fair. Im sure my experience might be a fluke, but its the risk we all run when buying cheap gear. Additionally, the bags were a nice addition, and even after I repair these stands, Im sure they will at least function well for a little while, until something else goes wrong. Give em shot if thats all you can swing, but, dont trust cheap gear like this to hold your lights or other valuable items, if you have the budget for food sturdy stands.

My 2 cents..

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-1 of 1 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 13, 2013 1:47:46 PM PST
ZEric says:
These are certainly not professional stands and I'm sure compared to the type a professional normally uses they would seen abysmal. For amateur home use they okay, and ones that are significantly better are significantly more expensive. It unfortunate that you waited so long then got one that was incorrectly assembled. On a different stand, I had a similar but more significant issue. Amazon was very good about processing the return at their expense.

Inexpensive light stands almost always are difficult to open when new. This is easily solved by slightly loosening the six nuts and bolts that attach the legs. The nuts have a nylon lock washer to help prevent them from further loosening so they don't need to be as tight as they come from the factory. If one are still worried about it, put a drop of locktite or super glue on the threads of the nut and that that will take care of it.

Once I made this simple 2 minute adjustment, my stands opened and closed very easily and it did not change the stability of the stand at all. Just don't loosen them too much, they should not be so loose as to be rattling or have any play back and forth.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›