3.0 out of 5 stars My extensive test with Comcast and with 802.11G Dell Notebooks, November 29, 2007
This review is from: D-Link Wireless N+300 Mbps Extreme-N Gigabit Router (DIR-655) (Personal Computers)
I upgraded from my dLink DI-624 to the DIR-655 because my DI-624 was rebooting every few hours and my dell laptop inspiron 6000(XP) would disconnect every hour. I have also the dell E1405 (Vista) which would get 2-7% connections on my 3rd floor.

Here is my layout: I have a 3 story townhouse with 2 houses on both sides. I am located 3 miles from NYC but am located in an area which is considered to be the suburbs. My router is on the ground/1st floor. I use my laptops on the 2nd and 3rd floors.

After my upgrade to DIR-655, I see that the new router is NOT rebooting and my Inspiron 6000 stays connected. The E1405 would get about 14% on the 3rd floor.

With my BitTorrent running/downloading, I test the following:
When I surf the web, everything is fine and fast. 6Mbs/sec
When I stream movie from one laptop to the other, I experience some jumpiness. I notice if I pop something in the microwave, I would get slowdown and crazy jumpy connection which causes the movie to hang. The cordless at 5.6GHz running is fine.
I get 100% on the 1st floor since my router is there. 54Mbs (DI624 gave me 92%)
I get about 48-64% on the 2nd floor. 36-54Mbs. (almost the same as the DI624)
I get about 2-22% on the 3rd floor. 2-24Mbs.
The above test was done with both internal laptop cards. The Inspiron 6000 is using the Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2915. The E1405 is using the Wireless 1390 WLAN MiniCard.

My wireless settings:
WEP
Channel 1
SSID enable
N and G mode only
Firmware 1.04 (heard bad things about 1.05 and 1.1, so I will wait and see)

Conclusion:
There is an improvement compare to the DI-624 of course. But is it worth the $110+ at the moment? I am not too sure. I am thinking that I will wait until the N adapters gets to be about $40 and I will do a retest. I hope it gets better with full N. I see a 5% improvement on the 1st floor, a 0-5% improvement on the 2nd floor and a 0-200% improvement on the 3rd floor.
Yes, you should buy it if you were experiencing issues b/f like me, but if you old router was working perfectly, why upgrade unless you are going full N.

I gave it a 3 star because I was expecting a 6x more range and 300% speed improvement. But I dont see that.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 6, 2007 9:42:40 PM PST
Ross Binkley says:
Ummm... you can't expect to get N speeds without N clients.... In other words, you can't expect the 6x range or the 3x speed w/o the client cards also being N.

Posted on Dec 16, 2007 12:45:14 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 16, 2007 12:52:00 PM PST
aad says:
http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/content/view/30087/96/ go to the above link for an indepth revew of this router. It points out that if you are using WEP security you will transmit at "g" levels (54mbps) not N. He states that you will transmit at ~30% of potential with WEP and about 80% with WPA. Try changing to WPA. Alternatively, as a trial, take the security off and see as fast it goes. Good Luck.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 29, 2007 8:11:27 AM PST
GQ says:
Thats awesome, thanks. I will give it a try.

Posted on Jan 27, 2011 9:28:41 AM PST
nekoian says:
Regarding the microwave issues, I had major problems with my old router and our microwave, For years I thought it was because it was an old microwave. I read a web blog about switching channels on your wifi router to avoid microwave interference and it really worked!

‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.7 out of 5 stars (2,841 customer reviews)
 (1,411)