3.0 out of 5 stars an encyclopedic recipe collection ... but only if you combine fruits and vegetables, April 20, 2010
This review is from: The Big Book of Juices: More Than 400 Natural Blends for Health and Vitality Every Day (Hardcover)
First, this is a gorgeous book. Beautiful photographs of almost all the recipes, and compact yet comprehensive sections on juicing (and smoothie) ingredients, suggested juicing regimens, and recipe recommendations for specific ailments or nutrients. The majority of recipes are for juices, but recipes for smoothies (with and without dairy or nut/seed milk) and quenchers (juice blends diluted with sparkling water or other beverage) are also included.

I'm new to juicing, but I've been drinking green smoothies (blended fruit and leafy greens -- no dairy) for months now. Juicing seemed like the perfect adjunct to the smoothies -- I wanted to add more vegetables to my diet. If you've done any research about juicing or smoothies, you've seen the debate about combining fruits and vegetables. If you're not a fan of combining them, this is not the book for you -- virtually all of these recipes combine the two food groups. (While I don't generally combine them myself, my current favorite juice is Natalia Rose's Life Force Powerade -- kale, cucumber or celery, beets, ginger, apples and lemon. Drinking this the first thing in the morning is an amazing start to the day.)

Having said that, this book is an inspiration to me as a juicing newbie, and gives me plenty of ideas for both my juices and green smoothies. BUT -- much of this content is duplicated in Ms. Savona's book, The Big Book of Juices and Smoothies: 365 Natural Blends for Health and Vitality Every Day (The Big Book of...Series) (Spiral-bound). Until recently this was available here on amazon.com in a spiral-bound format -- a much more condensed version, and probably easier to use.

Either of these books is worth a look -- I think anyone interested in juices or smoothies would benefit on some level.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 11 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 24, 2010 11:15:09 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 24, 2010 11:15:34 AM PST
kalyson says:
We did not realize those two books "The Big Book of Juices: More Than 400 Natural Blends for Health and Vitality Every Day" and "The Big Book of Juices and Smoothies: 365 Natural Blends for Health and Vitality Every Day" were the essentially the same and accidentally got them both. Good of you to point this out for people. Wish we had seen the review before buying them both.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 27, 2011 6:12:19 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 27, 2011 6:12:48 PM PST
Mihaela says:
they have the same author and the same Publisher :)

Posted on Feb 2, 2011 1:38:10 PM PST
K. KLOC says:
This is basically a new edition to her previous book. She's added some recipes and has better pictures, but it's essentially the same. It looks like they're carrying the spiral-bound version again as well.

Posted on Apr 8, 2011 12:55:34 PM PDT
I agree with you about not combining fruits and vegetables. When I initially heard about food combination, I thought it was foolish until my body responded well to it. I discovered why my stomach was such a mess. I saw the book in my local health store and yes it is beautiful with great pictures and simple recipes, but unfortunately not something I would be able to use.

Posted on Jun 1, 2011 7:01:07 AM PDT
T8 says:
I appreciate such a thorough review. Also can't wait for this book to arrive (it is on back order); I love that a book I just paid $12.00 for with free shipping has "much of the content" of the above recommended $35.00 book.

Posted on Jun 25, 2011 10:50:57 AM PDT
Marilyn P says:
Interesting - so you took off two stars because the book is not spiral bound?

Or because it's the next edition from the author?

Just puzzled - you seemed to like the book.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 25, 2011 11:00:36 AM PDT
elenagracia says:
I rated the book three stars because most of the content was a duplication of a previously published book, and the earlier book seemed easier to use. Had this book been labeled as a revision or update to the previous version, I might have rated it higher. It represents itself as a different book, and I think that is a bit misleading.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 16, 2011 1:28:17 AM PDT
Thanks for adding the info about food combining. When I dabbled with a vegan and raw diet last year, I thought food combining was just too much to deal with. Until I realized THAT was my problem. Adding an apple to green juice hasn't been a problem Nor lemon which of course is used in many savory cooked dishes.. but oddly enough other sweet or tart fruits mixed with veggies cause me so stomach issue. Thanks for mentioning this in your review. I thought this was why you took off stars.. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 14, 2012 3:55:05 AM PST
which one do you like better?

Posted on Feb 2, 2012 11:21:30 PM PST
In your review, the link for "The Big Book of Juices and Smoothies...[Spiral-bound]" book is pointing to some crazy-super-high priced version of the book. Here is an updated link pointing to a currently priced $13.57 verision.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›