5.0 out of 5 stars Firmware update fixed everything., June 6, 2012
This review is from: Sony BDPS790 4K Upscaling 3D Wi-Fi Blu-ray Disc Player (Electronics)
I'm on my second one now. The first one arrived with the bd-rom drive broken. Before I discovered it, I worked on the wireless side of the player and successfully registered with Vudu, Hulu+, Amazon, Netflix. I sent the player back for exchange. The new one arrived and I must say, the picture quality playing blu ray discs is outstanding, better than my previous 2d player. However, I cannot register this machine with Netflix. The screen goes black and the machine locks up when I access Netflix. Called Netflix first: must be your player. Called Sony and was escalated to level 3 after numerous resettings and testings. Final result: your isp is too slow to access Netflix. This in spite of the fact that the previous 790 had no problems with Netflix. I am also streaming movies just fine on my laptop from Netflix. Today, my isp was running at 3mbps, so I tried again: locked up. No problems registering Vudu, Hulu+, Amazon. Another example of finger pointing. They make a fine art of blaming every piece of equipment you have except theirs. I'll keep the player, because it's otherwise ok, and I can stream Netflix on my laptop, but I'm not happy with Sony's tech support (and they are aware of it.)

Update 3/1/13. I've had the player about 8 months now. Shortly after I wrote the above review, the player notified me of a firmware update, downloaded it and installed it. Everything has worked perfectly since then. The player is doing an outstanding job and I am completely happy with it. Therefore, I'm changing my rating to 5 stars.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 4 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 13 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 6, 2012 9:19:17 AM PDT
If the previous unit worked with Netflix and the newer one does not, can you return under warranty and try a 3rd unit? I find returning and replacing easier when the support folks start pointing fingers and escalating.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 6, 2012 10:23:14 AM PDT
jerrymarin says:
i have the same unit. the picture quality if unbelievable, but i am having the same issue with streaming. it stops in the middle of a movie and says that it lost its connection. i have a very high speed internet and so this cannot be the issue. i wonder if we need to get a Roku Box or apple box?

Posted on Jun 7, 2012 4:38:18 AM PDT
Very interesting....

Have you tried your laptop (or other wireless device) in the same location? How far is your player from your network wireless router? There are PC utilities which can tell you just how strong your broadcast signal is in any particular location (only workable using a wireless laptop connection obviously!). I'm wondering if you're too far from the router, or in a "dead zone"... or if, perhaps, the device's wireless reception is less sensitive than might be expected.

My device is able to get a good, strong signal wirelessly where I have it mounted, but what you've described is what would happen if my wireless signal was underpowered (and thus unreliable).

So, clearly it's one of two issues; either your signal at that location is too weak, or the receiver in the device is too weak. If it's the second issue, it might be a manufacturing defect, but it couldn't be a design defect, because my device has more than sufficient wireless reception, on-par with any other wireless device I own, and my device is build to the same design spec, after all. If it were a design defect, every device would show the same poor reception...

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 7, 2012 11:32:55 AM PDT
W. ingle says:
Excellent advice, except that the problem only lies with connecting to Netflix. In addition, as part of the extensive diagnostic process I went through with Sony techs, I connected an Ethernet cable from the player to the router, bypassing the wireless component. No difference.

Posted on Aug 31, 2012 6:17:17 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 31, 2012 6:17:52 PM PDT
From reading the comments about the model down from yours (Sony BDP-S580 Blu-ray Disc Player (Black)) A. Brooks says that "For best speed and connectivity set the DNS to Google's DNS servers (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4). Don't use your DSL/Cable Modem Router as DNS." and one other user set his DNS server to 8.8.4.4 and that fixed his issues.

Posted on Sep 1, 2012 4:47:47 AM PDT
W. ingle says:
Update: Sony downloaded a fix, and the player works fine now with Netflix. I now have no complaints with the machine, and really like it.

Posted on Sep 10, 2012 11:32:31 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 10, 2012 11:34:07 PM PDT
azloafer says:
When I read the fact that you questioned whether 3 Mbps was slow or not I had to go to several speed test sites and check mine. I recalled that mine was double digit. I didn't think anyone had a connection in the area of 3 Mbps. Don't get me wrong, I am not bragging about the results of my Cox Cable Speed, I'm just giving you my speed test results so that you can decide if yours is slow or not. Every test I made, three different sites, came out to an average of 22 Mbps. I think that you should have a conversation with your ISP because it is obvious that you are being ripped off if 3 Mbps is your true test result. You can google speed test sites. There are many.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 23, 2012 8:51:16 AM PDT
Josie says:
Does anyone ever buy a blu ray disc player just to play blu ray discs and not everything else under the sun? That's all I want the machine for. I want to plug in a HDMI cable to the TV and load a disc to watch. Is that possible with this machine without having to fiddle with anything else? Thank you. I have a Sony HDTV.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 23, 2012 9:06:07 AM PDT
Oh, yes, it's one of the best for playing physical media... there are a few disks I have which can't be read by other players but can be read by this one.

However, if that's all you want, you'd be happier with a lower-end device... no need to pay for features you don't want or need.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 23, 2012 1:22:36 PM PDT
Josie says:
Thank you for your response. However, there seem to be very few blu ray players without extras like wifi and 3D, etc. that have good reviews at all. A lot of peoples reviews just complain they can't get extras to work that I'm not interested in at all. If this one plays the disc then I will be happy. Thanks.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.0 out of 5 stars (319 customer reviews)

Used & New from: $325.99