5.0 out of 5 stars White-collar friendly, July 15, 2012
This review is from: Dremel CKDR-01 Three-Tool Combo Kit (Tools & Home Improvement)
I'm a white-collar kind of guy. I program computers for a living. So, while I'm not incompetent, I am not normally what you would call a "handyman." Oh sure, I took shop class in school and I know the basics, but I sit behind a computer most days. Add two kids into the equation, and its amazing I get anything done around the house.

However, I always had the basic tools. Hammer, pliers, wrenches, even a cordless drill set. I could handle the basics. But, there are always those projects that I never could quite do. I always suspected that if only I had the right tools, I could do <fill in the blank>.

Now, if the project is big enough (fixing an automobile, for example), I would just pay the professionals to do it. If the project is small enough (hanging a picture), no problem. I got it covered. But there are those "in-between" projects that are not quite worth hiring out, and yet I could never do them myself.

Apparently, all I needed was a Dremel. I ordered this three piece toolkit when it was on sale (Amazon deal of the day). I always suspected they would come in handy, but I never seemed to have the time to deal with it. I'm glad these were on sale, because I've spent the weekend "getting stuff done around the house."

For example: our kitchen counter under the dishwasher was warping. (Steam exiting the dishwasher.) I knew that all that needed to be done was to cut away the warped wood, sand it down, and paint it with some waterproof paint. I'm smart enough to figure that out. But if you are anything like me... that's essentially where your train of thought ends and your wife spends the next two years with a slightly uneven counter top.

In comes the Dremel for the rescue. Man, I felt like I knew what I was doing fixing that kitchen counter. My wife said it "looks like new." Makes a computer programmer feel good to get a compliment for something a little more "manly" around the house.

I love these tools. Each seems to have a purpose, but I'm sure I'll discover new uses over the next few years. As a homeowner, there always seems to be a list of things "to do" around the house. Next to my cordless drill, I'm sure this is the second most important tool I never knew I needed until now.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-2 of 2 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 12, 2012 6:27:03 AM PDT
Phil P says:
haha i couldn't say it any better, I just wrote my review before reading yours. I feel exactly the same about this tool, im a programmer as well. With this tool I feel like i can actually fix stuff.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 28, 2013 7:59:18 AM PST
Great Review. I came across this while looking for a replacement for my 4.8V Dremel rotary tool (7300 I think; it's terrible) and I'm a programmer as well - maybe we're a more handy bunch than we give ourselves credit for.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.6 out of 5 stars (150 customer reviews)

Out of stock