Best Books of the Month Shop Men's Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums All-New Fire TV Stick with Voice Remote Beauty Videos Amazon Gift Card Offer jrscwrld jrscwrld jrscwrld  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Fall Arrivals in Amazon Outdoor Clothing Learn more

5.0 out of 5 stars great pocket-sized point and shoot, May 3, 2013
This review is from: Sony DSC-WX80/B 16.2 MP Digital Camera with 2.7-Inch LCD (Black) (OLD MODEL) (Electronics)
Love this camera! Takes great low-light photos (with or without flash) and has some great features. Took it out golfing the other day and using continuous shutter mode it actually caught full swings frame-by-frame. Very high quality pics too, when I uploaded them to the computer you could make out tiny details in a big picture - like the logo on my golf ball! In addition, they dual purposed the gyro sensor in the camera that helps stop blur t so you that while reviewing series of shots you can tilt the camera to cycle through them making almost a miniature movie of your pics.

Panorama works well and is super easy - no pausing in between frames, just keep moving the camera. Love the full 16:9 aspect ratio of photos as well. Wifi works great too - very cool and easy to send the pics right to your smartphone (which lets face it, is where most of us keep our photos now) for storage and uploading to sites like facebook.

It is really small though which makes it great for putting in your pocket or taking it out with you, but also makes the buttons a little close together. Takes a little getting used to.

When purchasing this camera it came down to this and the Elph 130. I liked the buttons and simpler of the layout of the Elph better, but I think I made the right choice with the wx80 - full hd videos, excellent low-light capabilities, panorama and a faster frame rate. Plus it charges by micro-USB without having to take the battery out of the camera - you can just use your phone charger.

I've read some issues about battery life, but I haven't had any yet. We took over 50 photos golfing in like 30 minutes and lost about a quarter power - and that's with a lot of screen time reviewing shots. I purchased a bundle with an extra battery pack just in case though.

I highly recommend this camera. Sorry for the long review, but when I was debating between cameras there weren't a lot of good detailed reviews, so I thought I'd try and help out.

[Add comment]
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Tracked by 4 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 7, 2013 6:24:34 PM PDT
Joanie S says:
This was super helpful. I myself am looking for a newer camera and am torn between this one of one of the elphs or even the newer less expensive a2600 since I am not a pro , but the specs seem almost the same except wifi and zoom range. Have you had any other problems with battery life?

In reply to an earlier post on May 10, 2013 5:00:02 AM PDT
Jim says:
I really haven't shot it much. I bought for a Disney vacation we're going on in 2 weeks and I'm sure I'll put it through the paces then, haha. I did take over 50 shots with it that one day out golfing and we reviewed them all afterwards to see how they came out and I lost about a 1/4 power. Which I don't think is too bad for so many shots and so much time looking at the screen.

Posted on May 27, 2013 11:17:43 AM PDT
New PaPa says:
I have just bought this camera and I will know soon about battery issues. That said, for any electronic device, having WiFi on all the time will take up lot of battery (since it is searching for networks, constantly pinging to connected network, etc). If you are not using WiFi, then just turn it off. Since I don't have the camera yet, I hope it allows turning off WiFi.

Posted on Dec 26, 2013 11:42:21 AM PST
Carolan Ivey says:
Can you get an extra battery and switch it out if the first one dies? Or is the bettery non-removable?

Posted on Jul 6, 2014 10:32:14 AM PDT
Babloo says:
I looked at the camera at Walmart and target.. I tried to take a picture to see how it works.. found that it takes close to 10 to 20 seconds to process the picture (they don't have the Memory Card).. is it the same that it takes such long to process and store the picture.. or is it just because it has no memory card.

Kindly provide more information on this.. that will allow me to consider this...Thanks,

Posted on Aug 22, 2014 2:27:15 PM PDT
It is so unfortunate that this camera cannot record a video while charging...
‹ Previous 1 Next ›