5.0 out of 5 stars Desktop replacement with good gaming performance., April 19, 2014
This review is from: ASUS N550JK-DS71T 15.6" Full-HD Touchscreen Quad Core i7 Laptop w/ Aluminum-Body, 8GB RAM & 1TB HD (Personal Computers)
I bought this laptop with the intent of replacing my aging custom-built gaming desktop and so far it seems to work well for that purpose. The main selling point for me was the Geforce GTX 850M with the new Maxwell architecture. I can play ESO on Ultra settings for hours at a time with no apparent throttling or issues, although the screen near the exhaust fan on the back will get plenty hot. The GPU temps stay in the 70-75 range under load and the fan noise is surprisingly not irritating like I expected, it's more of a gentle 'woosh' or a white noise. The fan noise during normal use is too quiet for me to hear. Overall I'm happy with the gaming performance and it runs everything I've tried (Skyrim, ESO, Bioshock Infinite) at max settings.

Some things worth noting:

I know the description says the screen is 'matte' but it's still a glossy touchscreen. Perhaps it is less glossy than some but I can still use it as a mirror when the screen is off. That being said, the screen looks amazing! Sharp and bright.

Power brick is fairly large, about the size of two Macbook power adapters. Not a problem for me but it does add size/weight.

Speakers don't really live up to the hype. Even after tweaking the included equalizer software it still sounds like laptop speakers I've heard in cheapo systems. I've occasionally noticed some distortion during movie playback. They do get loud, however, which might be good for some people. I currently have the volume set to 18% in windows. Edit 4/25: I've 'changed my tune' so to speak. After messing with the eq settings further I've reached a pretty decent level of audio quality for my tastes. I have it sounding good for music now but it really requires the little subwoofer to work, otherwise it's just generic tinny laptop speakers.

Included 1TB 5400rpm HDD is a bottleneck. I'm glad it came with this system since it keeps the cost low & I already have a couple Samsung 840 EVOs laying around. I replaced the HDD and now everything is ridiculously fast.

The listed dimensions say 17.3" length, but my tape measure says 15.125" length.

The included DVD drive was not useful for me so I replaced it with a caddy and another Samsung 840 EVO SSD. Sadly I think the performance is bottlenecked by the sata interface (I read somewhere it uses sata I for the optical drive). It might be a better idea to put the original 1TB HDD in a caddy as a storage drive in that case. FYI, the case screws require a t-5 torx screwdriver.

Battery life seems ok, I ran it on battery for about 3 hours watching netflix and web browsing. The battery claimed it had almost an hour left.

As a first time windows 8 user I found the metro UI to be snappy and responsive but ultimately less useful for me than the traditional windows interface. So I installed classic shell and it's perfect now. Metro is still lurking in the shadows somewhere but mostly forgotten.

I'm sure there are more things to add but I've only been using it for a week, I'll try and update later.

Update 4/25: After a second week of use I'm still just as satisfied with the performance of this laptop. I put about 20 hours of playtime into ESO with no issues. I saw someone post about replacing the keyboard with a black one and now I'm thinking of ordering the one from the n56jr to see if it fits. The silver on silver blends together too much.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 5 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 20 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 19, 2014 8:28:41 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 19, 2014 8:32:46 AM PDT
CJ says:
Should be SATA II for the interface that goes to the DVD drive and SATA III for the regular HD. Should use an SSD on the SATA III. Only what I read, not sure about it all myself, just been reading up on the JK and JV some lately and ran across this info.

Posted on Apr 19, 2014 10:26:26 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Apr 19, 2014 10:26:40 AM PDT]

Posted on Apr 19, 2014 11:36:48 AM PDT
CJ says:
You had a question then deleted it? You having touchpad or keyboard issues? I have the JV and have sound problems, wifi problems, ethernet problems, tons of windows explorer crashes....

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 20, 2014 10:17:52 AM PDT
I have the same problem that's why I'm returning it

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 20, 2014 11:00:58 AM PDT
CJ says:
Like I have or you have the keyboard and touch-pad issues? I have seen reports of missing keystrokes on this unit and also issues with the WASD area of the keys. What all are you seeing (D. O. Erisgen)?

Posted on Apr 20, 2014 5:59:20 PM PDT
My experience reflects that of the OP. Everything about the unit is great. The keyboard is a bit "soft" but it just takes getting used to. That said, I am going to replace it with a black key/backlit keyboard - only because I hunt and peck and the white lighting on silver keys can be difficult to read of you have a very bright screen and dark surroundings.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 20, 2014 6:09:52 PM PDT
CJ says:
Wish this was black keys. Seen the JV sold before with choice of backlight color. But sure wish these had black keys.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 20, 2014 7:45:50 PM PDT
Stizzle says:
I was going to replace the internal optical drive with a Samsung 840 Evo 250gb SSD. To do this do I need an HDD Caddy? If so do you know which one?

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 20, 2014 7:46:39 PM PDT
Stizzle says:
How are you going to replace it with black keys? I would be interested in doing this as well.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 21, 2014 6:26:23 AM PDT
CJ says:
I would not put the SSD in a caddy in the optical (DVD) drive bay, It is only SATA II, you are better to have it where the current HD is so its SATA III and have a spinning HD for storage in the optical drive bay via a caddy.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›