Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stephen Marley Fire TV Stick Off to College Essentials Ruby jewelry Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

1.0 out of 5 stars Connection slow, troubleshooting and tech support poor, February 28, 2008
This review is from: D-Link Wireless N300 Mbps Extreme-N Gigabit Router (DIR-655) (Personal Computers)
I bought this router in part because I had read in a few places that it worked well with the new laptop I had purchased, but also because of the many glowing reviews on places like Amazon.

Installation was a breeze, but unfortunately my internet connection speed dropped by about 80% after installation, on both my desktop PC (wired to the router) and my new notebook. The internet connection was usable but noticeably slower. I tried EVERYTHING, including shutting off wireless capability in case of interference and adjusting every setting imaginable in the router online configuration, to no avail. And yet, as soon as I disconnected the router and connected my desktop PC back to my cable modem, the speeds were back to normal.

D-Link tech support was of little help; they would suggest a minor tweak in the online configuration, tell me to reboot the router, then call them back if the problem persisted. We repeated that cycle a few times with no progress. I spent hours tweaking settings, troubleshooting, and researching online. Nothing.

So now I have to figure out whether the particular router I was sent just happens to be defective and can be replaced, or if this brand of router doesn't "play nice" and I need to find a different one entirely. I'm no tech dummy but this has been a real chore and support from D-Link has been disappointing.

I will update my rating at a later time if my experience with this product improves.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 23, 2008 11:51:12 PM PDT
I also bought this router and I am wondering which brand/technology works best with laptops dating from 2004 or so (still using the 802.11g technology). I'm looking for a signal that can really go through walls without using adapters on the laptops and other devices (such as another router added to this one) on the way. If anyone has suggestions, please contact valding@yahoo.com. Thanks.

Posted on Jan 11, 2010 2:57:08 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 11, 2010 3:00:02 AM PST
Sam says:
I have a similar issue with the one I received... Internet works only intermittently... Pages load very slowly, and sometimes everything comes to a halt altogether. Anyone who is reading this, spread the word to *NOT* buy this router. d-link has dropped the ball, especially with recent firmware updates. View http://forums.dlink.com and take a look at the DIR-655 page to see how many people are having terrible problems with this router not working.

I should clarify that this has nothing to do with wifi... wireless seems to work as far as I can tell, but all computers on the network, including wired ones, have about 10% of the speed they used to when browsing, etc.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 19, 2010 6:45:35 AM PDT
I would love to know if he installed the firmware. That might have been why the wireless router died I am just wondering if he did.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2011 12:38:33 PM PST
E. WALLEY says:
if you're trying this router and having a problem with going through normal walls on the same level (and not 3 levels up), the issue is not with the router. The issue is with your outdated PC. That's why the wireless adapter solves the issue. Your wifi card in your laptop is no good. Replace the whole laptop, you can get an I3 laptop for under 400 at the moment.

Posted on Jul 4, 2012 8:12:38 AM PDT
videobruce says:
Are they kidding about these prices? What does any of that have to do with repairing the router??
Send router in, replace router.

Accessories are completely irreverent! You are not returning it to a store for refund.

Posted on Jul 3, 2013 4:26:16 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Jul 3, 2013 4:27:42 PM PDT]

Posted on Apr 12, 2014 1:45:32 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 12, 2014 1:49:34 PM PDT
IT Admin says:
Mine works fine on old and new devices. Has been running for three years. I print wirelessly (from pc's, a mac, and androids), share files, use voip, stream up and down videos and the speed is good. I pay for a 20Mbps connection and through this I have 27Mbps Down/8Mbps Up wired on the Gb port. On my android on the other side of the house I have 21Mbps Down/ 7.25Mbps Up (about 50 feet away, two bathrooms, a kitchen, and four walls between us). I have the most current firmware installed. I may be on an older unit Page: DIR-655 Firmware Version: 1.37NA Hardware Version: A4
Some of the network card drivers and the firmware versions don't get along. We had some Dell laptops connect/disconnect however after the firmware update(s) and wireless card device driver update the issue was resolved. This was not a Dell Driver download. It was buried in the Intel Drivers on their website and took awhile to find it.
I always turn off the wireless profile applications and let windows manage my connections and rarely do I have issues. Use the Intel connection manager or whatever its called and it very often prevents me from connecting, then the device driver hangs, have to reboot, and 45 minutes later you can still be trying to setup the profile correctly and not be connected. Turn it off and on difficult setups I may have to reboot everything once but I have found the network card Programs for wireless setup to be difficult to setup correctly.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›