Facility Spring Cleaning Spring Reading 2016 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Beauty Gifts Made in Italy Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors Kindle Paperwhite ReadyRide Bikes from Diamondback May4th

5.0 out of 5 stars Most complete Gears yet!, September 20, 2011
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Gears of War 3 (Video Game)
This is the most COMPLETE game I have ever played. I honestly can't see myself thinking "hmmm. I wish they had this on this game!" Everything is here. Great campaign!Including that it is 4 player co-op online and 2 player split screen offline. Things like that make this game accessible no matter what. Which is why I love it. Played the campaign for about 3 hours and everything is set perfectly. Same great characters plus more, great action and everything is balanced to not give you the feeling that you're getting bored or doing too much. With all that said, I dont want any spoilers so I'll stop there.

Arcade Mode- I believe this is another great addition. If you've play Call of Duty 4:Modern Warfare. You'll remember their Arcade Mode. I loved seeing the points pop up as if I was at an arcade or even playing the multiplayer. I just loved that aspect of it and it also adds a level of competitiveness with friends. Thats about all this mode offers though, but still great fun.

Horde 2.0- If you're a fan of killing, killing and more killing. You'll love Horde 2.0. Horde 2.0 adds more depth to the previous games Horde. I remember my cousin playing with me and using the shield to block off Locust. I wondered why I didnt think of that myself? Guess I'm just not as creative. lol, but now with kills and downs. You earn money to by things such as: weapons, barricades, decoys and bases. All of these things add a whole new level to the Horde. Making it so that now you and your friends can literally create a base and blockade to defend yourselves through the endless amounts of hordes. (actually i think the last level is 50 but it feels endless lol.) I can see Horde 2.0 adding a lot of replay hours to this game seeing as how fun it is.

Beast Mode- I only played the first 12 levels of this on casual to get the idea of what it was. You can pick which Locust you want to be but you have to pay for it. So the points you earn killing go to the beast you are. The catch is you only get a minute to kill the however many survivors and you gain more time as you go on killing them and destroying their turrets and machines. I found this mode fun since I always wanted to know what it was like to be on the Locust side of the Horde. My only problem was that I found myself going back to certain Locust with guns since that's what I was comfortable with. I think that's only me though and others will have great fun with this mode.

Multiplayer- Yes Multiplayer. What everyones been waiting for. Honestly Im not going to spend much time of this review on it. Its everything thats been talked about or from Gears of War 2. I believe they added more modes (ie Deathmatch). Though from playing the matches that I have so far. It's smooth and responsive and I think thats most important. The guns are amazing. I truly think that they are balanced and you just have to find your match. I prefer the Lancer and Gnasher but others differ of course. The characters are better than ever. I say that because there is more of a variety of characters to choose from and unlock. As well as gun skins, badges and ribbons. This all gives the game much more replay value.

To end this off. This game honestly gives you your $60 worth! There are some "extras" (mainly gun skins) that you have to pay real money for. But they arent taking away from the game by any means. This game gives you great modes for however you feel and offers online and offline gameplay even with bots. Making it feel as if you are always connected and never missing out on more fun. Also the graphics are amazing just as any other Gears of War game. I would highly suggest this to any shooter fan seeing as this is the most complete shooter out there at the moment.

Update 9/25/2011- Hey guys. Just wanted to update the review a bit. After playing this game for countless hours and getting some feedback in the comments section, I felt it would be good to update you on more of the details. I've played more into the campaign, Horde Mode and multiplayer. As another reviewer said the Beast mode is only 12 levels. Which is a real let down honestly. At one point it leaves you wanting more and another may make you happy that it's over. Once you unlock more Beasts and Locusts it gets easier if you have the money to spend. The Berserker is supposed to be blind but I found myself find enemies perfectly and destroying them with one hit. You start of with a minute to kill every survivor and there are more notable Gears characters that you have to kill as well. Along with the challenges, there will be more to bring you back to at least finish those out. Other than that this mode isnt as appealing as the others.

Horde 2.0 is crazy fun with friends. Having up to five players in the party stealing kills, setting up blockades and upgrading everything is a blast. Teamwork is needed to survive, this is no cakewalk. 50 hordes of enemies until the end takes a couple of hours, loads of patience and good teamwork as I stated. The more you level up your turrets, barricades, sentry guns and even a huge gorilla suit. You'll upgrade enough to where they cost less and defend better. You'll want these things to distract and protect you from the locust since in later waves (every 10 to be exact) Locust will gain 2x health, 2x accuracy and you take 2x damage. But this mode is great fun and adds a ton of replay value compared to the Beast mode.

Multiplayer- I believe the multiplayer is very unique compared to other shooters. Specifially what caught my eye with this game is that if you arent good they arent necessarily trying to make it so that you are better or equal the playing field if that makes any sense. If you arent that great at this game, it's going to show. Unlike say Call of Duty where they give you perks and other tools to somewhat equal the playing field. Not to say they dont give you the tools to get better. As I state above, you can play with bots on or offline and at any of the 4 difficulties. So you can practice all you need to with certain weapsons, levels or difficulties all you need to before you jump right into the online world of Xbox Live. ANOTHER thing is that these bots arent aimbots. They actually feel more so as if you're playing human players. Just not as great becuase I have seen some great guys on xbl. Along with that, there are dedicated servers and you wont run into lag as much depending on your own connection. This is great. Matches run smooth making you want to play this multiplayer more. Also there are a ton of unlocks! Ribbons, Medals, Mutators, Characters. As you level up through all of the modes, you will gain these. Gaining them all is no easy task but its fun in the process and will be very very time consuming.

I didnt want to get too much in the campaign before but I have to note a few things. The 4 player co-op runs so amazing! I havent had any hiccups or disconnects with it and Im in Germany playing with 3 friends from all around the United States. The story is so much better than I expected. No spoilers for the people who have yet to play but this is a great follow up and and ending to such a great series. Im on Act 4 now and its about 5 acts. It's said that the campaign is about 10 hours and I've been playing on Hardcore for about 8 so I see the end coming soon. I just cant believe how much fun I've had though. They've fixed alot from previous games and the beta and it shows. Some things still dont work as need but I can see patches roll out to fix some of these. My biggest gripe is when you want to retro lancer someone and you charge at them. You have to charge from about 20 feet away. I guess that only makes sense to gain the momentum but I would like something other than to do just bump into them. But thanks to the other reviewers Stephen and Snake for the feedback as well. :)

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 20 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 20, 2011 9:04:36 PM PDT

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 21, 2011 2:38:32 AM PDT
Thanks! And If Lives is your thing, then of course it is. haha. But I honestly felt the same way. It plays the same as the first two but it adds so many more animations, Locusts and modes that it makes you feel like you'll never get bored. This is the first one I've really liked as well though.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 21, 2011 4:22:09 AM PDT
Stephen L says:
If you already subscribe to Live, that part is "free," so it really is only $60. ;-)

Though honestly with all of the different modes, and especially 4 player co-op campaign and the new Horde, I think it is worth the $60 for the game and the extra $60 (you can get it ~$50 on Amazon at the moment).

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 21, 2011 2:46:26 PM PDT
Jeez I don't think any game is worth even $110 lol. The only reason I even pay for Live is because of Halo. Other than that I feel like it's a blatant ripoff considering that PSN works just as reliably and Steam is even better, and both of those services are free and don't have nearly as many ads. Again though, I'm looking forward to the game :D

Posted on Sep 21, 2011 3:11:13 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 21, 2011 3:13:05 PM PDT
Snake says:
Not terribly helpful, as you hide the downsides of the game as stuff you haven't done yet.

1.) "I only played the first 12 levels in beast mode" - because there are only 12 levels, and don't try and b.s. anyone that you just happened to quit on the last level

2.) "I'm only 3 hours into the campaign" - because the campaign is actually only the average 6-8hours on normal

3.) "There are far more characters and weapon skins to unlock " - because epic has just released, and I'm not exaggerating here 28 PIECES OF DLC of various skins and weapon packs

I'd call you a fanboy, but seeing as how you give nothing less than 4 stars for a review(including Brink, Bulletstorm and dj hero) you are probably just someone who is easily pleased. Hard ratings are less popular than easy ratings, so you're probably just doing these for the thumbs ups, but whatever....

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 21, 2011 3:51:15 PM PDT
drpaul says:

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 21, 2011 4:35:00 PM PDT

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 22, 2011 3:22:15 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Sep 22, 2011 3:22:29 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 22, 2011 3:24:33 AM PDT
Lol. I am definitely not a fanboy of Gears. I'm not trying to bs anyone. It was a first day review I played the Beast mode and it stopped after level 12? What did you want? 100 levels? How does me being only 3 hours in subject me to say how long it is? I wouldn't know if Im only 3 hours in right? Oh but hey every shooter now a days are under 10. Something we can't avoid. So get over that dude. AND there is a lot of stuff to unlock. Like I said you can buy the skins (or did you stop reading that far?) but you can still unlock characters and more skins as you level up. Stop hating dude. Also I stated Brink was a good game if they could patch it, which they didn't. Bulletstorm was a good game as creative as it was and DJ Hero as well. Music games are just losing their way. If you don't see that, well Im sorry. And I see you didn't mention the LA Noire review or Mortal Kombat? Guess if you don't think they're good, nobody can? SMH, Hope you have a good day.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 22, 2011 7:40:43 AM PDT
Stephen L says:
Don't let the negative comments get you down Parrish. I write reviews all the time for Amazon as well and it's pretty much a crap shoot as to whether you get someone who just REALLY disagrees with your opinions.

As for only being 3 hours into the campaign, if you watch all the cut scenes as I have been doing, 3 hours is enough to get you through the first Act, assuming a person doesn't die constantly. General consensus on-line seems to be a 10-15 hour campaign the first time through if you watch the cut scenes/dialog stuff.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›