5.0 out of 5 stars School/Harem/Romantic Comedy, Funny for Older Viewers, February 25, 2012
This review is from: My Bride Is a Mermaid: Complete Collection (DVD)
My husband and I just finished watching My Bride Is a Mermaid on DVD. We decided to buy this set after watching The Wallflower: The Complete Collection S.A.V.E. and Hetalia: Axis Powers - The Complete Series, both of which had us laughing, and we wanted to keep the laughter going with another funny anime.

Story: 4/5
This is the story of Nagasumi, a high school boy, who nearly drowns during summer vacation but is saved by a mermaid, Sun. Because he sees her as a mermaid, either he must be killed or Sun must die. However, both Sun's and Nagasumi's families come to the arrangement that they will get married, and if he's family, no one needs to die. The series follows Sun and Nagasumi as they go to school and try to keep the mermaid secret, with mermaid yakuza, a mermaid pop star, typical schoolgirl harem around Nagasumi, hilarious fights, satire, and all kinds of funny hijinks. Don't expect the story to be amazing because mostly, it is just a set-up for funny episodes. However, it does deliver on the comedy, which is exactly its goal.

I will say, however, that some characters got annoying, and by the 4th disc, I wished they would just go away for an episode or two. However, I'm sure that this is just a reaction to watching most of the episodes back to back. You might benefit from watching only a couple episodes a day.

Animation: 5/5
The animation in this series is excellent. It's modern, colorful, vibrant, no repeated video, etc. It's hard to find fault with this aspect!

Sound: 5/5
I watched the English dub version with subtitles. All of the voices were spot-on and not at all annoying. Additionally, the music fit the series perfectly! The opening track was fun and set the tone for the show. The soundtrack didn't miss a beat, using music that fit the particular funny scenes (like Lunar's dad's theme was similar to the Terminator's! haha), and no track was repeated enough to be a bother.

Packaging: 5/5
The packaging of this set is wonderful enough to even meet my standards! I dislike flimsy cardboard packaging, sets where the discs are stacked on top of each other, and weak disc holders that can fail and leave the discs moving around during shipment. My Bride is a Mermaid, to its credit, comes in a sturdy plastic case, in which each disc is stored on a separate plastic piece. Each DVD is held firmly in place. The plastic case also comes with an animated, removable cardboard outer box. I kept it because of its graphics. It does look nice on a shelf.

Warning:
If you are a parent purchasing this for your child or to watch with a child, be fore-warned, this series contains suggestive sexual themes and a small amount of fan-service. It was enough to make my husband and I eye each other in surprise at certain moments where sex was suggested, characters behaved in a sexual way, etc. It did not bother us at all as adult viewers, but I know some parents out there are sensitive about what their children are watching.

Overall: 5/5
When compared to some of the anime greats out there, this series doesn't even come close. However, as a comedy, My Bride is a Mermaid is pretty entertaining! If you like the harem/comedy genre, I'm almost certain you will like this. I don't particularly care for harem comedy, and even I enjoyed it. So if you are looking for a few good laughs and think the concept of mermaid yakuza in the normal world has some comedic potential, by all means, buy My Bride is a Mermaid!

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]