Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

3.0 out of 5 stars A Mike Nash Book FEATURING Mitch Rapp - Caveat Emptor!, October 27, 2008
This review is from: Extreme Measures: A Thriller (A Mitch Rapp Novel) (Hardcover)
If you're looking for a "traditional" Rapp story, I'm afraid you're in for a disappointment. Rapp is a fairly peripheral character in this story that primarily focuses on his protégé Mike Nash.

Terrorist cells are planning strike missions against targets within the United States. Two of the three have been "neutralized", but the last is led by a megalomaniacal fanatic bent on furthering his own ambitions by striking a crippling blow at our strategic capabilities.

This story, as is usual with Flynn, is his signature unique blend of political intrigue and manipulation with shoot-`em-up thriller. But instead of focusing on Rapp and his CIA boss Irene Kennedy, the action centers around Nash and lesser lights at the CIA. Kennedy's appearance is less than perfunctory; she's barely in this story at all, and plays absolutely no meaningful part in its furtherance.

The quality that makes Rapp a "superstar" is that he's virtually a force of nature; an implacable, unstoppable weapon of American policy. Nash is... not.

We spend a lot of time reading about Nash's angst, family problems, the conflict of his job with his family life, etc. It was done in an entertaining fashion, but it's just not a Mitch Rapp book!

And Nash isn't anywhere near as just plain deadly as Rapp. In other reviews of Flynn's work, I've written that Rapp is the American version of James Bond as originally written by Ian Fleming. That's a major part of his appeal and Flynn's popularity.

At the end of this book, I was left with the feeling that Nash was lucky to still be alive, and wouldn't be if it weren't for the timely appearance of Rapp at the final showdown.

So... buyer beware.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 30, 2008 10:39:02 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Nov 10, 2008 8:49:00 PM PST]

Posted on Nov 2, 2008 8:41:02 AM PST
bobbewig says:
Very good review, Brian. As usual, your point of view is well supported. I was seriously considering buying this book today but I'll now wait until the price comes way down.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 3, 2008 8:11:48 AM PST
Bobbe, thanks again.

It's not BAD, it just wasn't what I expected. I think that if I had the option, knowing what I do now, I'd have waited for the paperback.

Nash just isn't as engaging as Rapp, IMO, no doubt.

Posted on Nov 9, 2008 5:44:06 AM PST
Hi Brian - I have posted my review which disagrees with your feeling that this is too much about Nash, however I can see how you can go that way. I felt the book was spot on with what is happening on Capitol Hill as many of our puffed up politicians are more interested in giving those that would protect us Hell, rather than those who are trying to killl us. It all read very real to me, perhaps even more so than some of Flynn's earlier thrillers that we all enjoyed. In any event, I always care about your view, even when I mildly disagree with it sometimes. Jack

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 10, 2008 9:18:23 AM PST
Hi, Jack,

I'll swing by and check out your review. It's cool to disagree! That's why cars come in more than one color.

I ALSO enjoyed the political aspects of this book, and thought they were very wll done. That's always been one of the joys of Flynn's books, how he so deftly blends the two, and it's not all just pure action.

Thanks for the kind words, too, man.

Posted on Nov 10, 2008 7:38:46 PM PST
I have never been disappointed in a book that Vice Flynn has written. My Husband and I flip coins as to who gets to read the new book first.. Extreme Measures is a great read if not a bit sobering.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 10, 2008 8:47:53 PM PST
Brian Baker says:
Julie, thanks for dropping by and commenting. I'm happy to hear you liked it.

I liked it; evidently I just wasn't as jazzed about it as you were.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›