5.0 out of 5 stars Weber Genesis E-310 - Great all around gas grill, August 18, 2007
This review is from: Weber 3741001 Genesis E-310 Propane Gas Grill, Black (Discontinued by Manufacturer) (Lawn & Patio)
When it came time for me to buy a grill, I looked immediately to the Weber Genesis series, mainly because my family has always owned Webers and we've never been disappointed by them. My dad's prior Genesis grill lasted about 10 years before needing to be replaced, and likely would have lasted longer if it weren't for the harsh South Florida climate (the humid air down there is really rough on anything metal that's left outside).

I opted for the E-310 as I didn't need a side burner and didn't quite feel like paying up for the stainless steel model (which is nice, but hard to keep clean!).

This is a GREAT all around grill. IMO, there's nothing worse than a cheap gas grill - they don't maintain even heat, they don't get hot enough, and they often have the heat source too close to the food. I have a feeling a lot of the charcoal snobs out there (and I admit I used to be one myself) believe so ardently in charcoal's superiority partly because they've compared it only to a cheapo gas grill - guess what, it isn't the "rich smokey flavor" that makes charcoal grills great, it's the heat (they get hotter than most of the cheaper gas grills available) and the evenness of the heat. When buying a gas grill, you DO get what you pay for - and the Weber Genesis series is worth it. My Weber will heat to 600+ degrees, maintains even heat, and the heat source is far enough from the food to limit flare ups.

I've had this for about 2 weeks now and even I'm surprised how much I use it - almost every night (and THAT IMO is the main advantage of gas vs. charcoal, this thing is so convenient that I use it probably 5 times a week even though I live alone so I'm usually cooking for one). Thus far I've cooked steaks, pork chops, chicken breasts, and chicken wings on it (as well as sides like corn on the cob, asparagus, and new potatoes, all done on the grill of course), and it's ALL come out great. I'm very happy with it and I'm sure it'll only get better as the grill gets broken in and as I get more experienced using it.

If I've helped convince you to spring for the E-310, there's one thing you should consider (aside from whether to go stainless steel and whether to go with a side burner - those are both personal preferences) that you may not know about: there's a choice between cast iron and stainless still grill grates. I'm pretty sure the one offered on Amazon has the cast iron. Now, in most cases I think cast iron is great for cooking (it really holds the heat in better and gives a superior sear vs. other metals), HOWEVER cast iron does not hold up very well when left outside, especially if you live in a humid climate. Also, it's harder to clean. For this reason, if you live in a humid climate I'd recommend going for the version of the E-310 that has a stainless steel grill, you can find them if you look around. You can still get that cast iron sear when you want it by simply buying a Lodge cast iron skillet or griddle (available here on Amazon for < $20) and using it right on the Weber grill for certain dishes - I did this for a Filet Mignon the other night and it produced an excellent sear.

Overall, 5 stars for the Weber Genesis for a great cooking experience AND great Weber quality that should last you 10 years or more, if properly taken care of.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]