Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon St Lucia Bose SoundLink AE All-New Amazon Fire TV Luxury Beauty Valentine's Day Cards Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now SnS

3,995 of 4,333 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Another Vote for "ORIGINAL THEATRICAL RELEASES", June 1, 2010
This review is from: Star Wars: The Original Trilogy (Episode IV: A New Hope / Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back / Episode VI: Return of the Jedi) [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
It's real simple, George. The vast majority of people who will buy the Blu-Ray versions are middle-aged nostalgia hounds. These people will NOT pony up more of their hard-earned dough for CGI "enhancements." They WILL, however, whip out their credit cards for the ORIGINAL THEATRICAL RELEASES faster than Han Solo's draw-down on Greedo.

Find your best exant print each film of the original trilogy. Have the ILM lab boys scan in every frame @ 4k. Do the LEAST amount of color correction and dust/scratch removal--only in a restoration sense, not "improving color" or anything like that. Approach it like archivists.

Use your technical advancements to do the finest BR encoding of those individual frames. I want to see film grain, dude. Matte lines. Pancake makeup. Absolutely naked and unvarnished. The final result should be a monument to the format, really.

Do the same with the audio.

If your ego won't let you "let go" of your CGI meddling, then make every feature a two-BR set--your best "improved" version + the original theatrical release. You can charge more that way, have your final vision, and still satisfy the fans who want the '77, '80. and '83 prints. And line your pockets with more filthy lucre as you sell the same product to us for the umteenth time.

Call it a "Special Edition Archivist Series" or something like that.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 12 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 270 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 30, 2010 6:44:54 PM PDT
mao_soup says:
I just wet my pants laughing!! I am 100% with you, man. Listen to your fans, Georgie boy. Give us what we want instead of telling us what we want. How hard is it to put the originals on bonus discs in full 1080p? Ever heard of Bladerunner?

Posted on Oct 19, 2010 6:17:44 AM PDT
Alexander says:
Absolutely! Yes!

Posted on Oct 23, 2010 11:03:16 AM PDT
Murphy says:
This is a nice perfect-world senerio, Bartholomew Boge, but we all know what is going to happen. George Lucus is dead to me. I gave after Clones. Just gave up. Never saw II or III. Never cared enough.

[Strange how we all want the original theatrical Star Wars, but the enhanced Lord of the Rings.]

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 23, 2010 3:08:58 PM PDT
mao_soup says:
@ Patrick Murphy

I can honestly say I wish I had never seen the prequels. Seeing those movies is like walking in on your parents getting it on. You will never wipe the memory away and it will scar you forever and even taint your pretty memories of them. Incidentally, I actually prefer the shorter version of FOTR. I think the extendo changes the pace so much that it feels like I am watching a TV miniseries instead of a movie. But I can understand why people like them. I just think the pacing slows to a crawl, at least in the first movie.

Posted on Jan 9, 2011 7:37:27 PM PST
T. Coleman says:
In a perfect world The Criterion Collection would licence it and release the best original version ever.

Posted on Jan 10, 2011 5:16:43 AM PST
B-Rock says:
Well played good sir, well played. I am amazed Lucasfer didn't somehow manage to stick Jar Jar into the original movies.

Posted on Jan 10, 2011 11:13:10 PM PST
SnowLover says:
Adding my support. Wish George would take a cue from the people who have made Star Wars so popular. I'm flat out not going to buy unless the original prints are included. At this point I might take my old VHS versions and record them to DVD. For everyone else, if this fails, look to the internet torrents.

Posted on Jan 11, 2011 5:15:12 PM PST
Music Fan says:
Meh. I'll buy the originals with enhancements. I'd consider the originals if they fixed up all the tie fighter scenes, but there's no way I'd buy them on BD with those square boxes around them (which means I won't buy them this time if if they're still there). Definitely wouldn't pay extra for the originals. there's just not enough there to bug me in the new versions. Sure, Han should shoot first, it doesn't bug me. People seem to look at the originals with rose colored glasses. The reality is that they were flawed and those flaws have become more glaring with each passing year.

Still, i agree that it should be an option for those that are obsessed with the original cut.

Posted on Jan 12, 2011 6:24:13 PM PST