ARRAY(0x9f7b33a8)

5.0 out of 5 stars Unbelievably clean images up to 12,800 ISO, July 7, 2012
This review is from: Pentax K-30 Weather-Sealed 16 MP CMOS Digital SLR (Black, Body Only) (Electronics)
I received mine a little more than an hour ago and have not done extensive tests yet because I am waiting for the battery to charge. I already own a K5 and a KX and I have previously owned the K100 and K20 models. The K5 was the first model that I felt truly competed with the Nikon and Canon crowd. It handles noise extremely well and most reliably up to 1600 ISO and its DXO rating is tops in its class. I us it for wedding photography and it is capable for well-lit interiors but I have seen results from recent Canon and nikon models that have been making me drool over the low-light results. It is only for that reason - low-light shooting - that I took a flier on the K30.

I am blown away by the results. The low-light capability is incredible and I am very, very pleased. I shot 4 test shots starting at ISO 12,800 and going down to ISO 1600, room light only, tungsten white balance, hand-held, JPEG only (medium resolution, which was the default setting). Not only was I blown away by the noise handling, but also by the image stabiliazation. I have found my new work horse for indoor low-light photography!

[...]

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 30 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 7, 2012 2:26:31 PM PDT
wilsoncraft says:
How is live view on this camera? Does it show you how the aperture and shutter speed adjustments impact the exposure without having to press the shutter release half-way down? I like that feature on the Canon 7D and hoping Pentax has included that feature now.

Posted on Jul 7, 2012 2:51:30 PM PDT
Pentax Terry says:
How does the low light capability/high iso noise of the K-30 compare to the K-5? Better or the same? How about a comparison of the K-30 image stabilization with that of the K-5?

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 7, 2012 2:54:34 PM PDT
No. The Live View does not show the effects of on-the-fly adjustments to the aperture or ISO settings.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 8, 2012 12:12:14 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 8, 2012 12:33:41 AM PDT
Anjaok says:
I have the K-30 and it does show the effects of on-the-fly adjustments to aperture, shutter & ISO but only in (M)anual mode. If you enter LV, start changing the Aperture or Shutter speed the image will respond accordingly. You are also shown a 5 stop EV meter so you can see how far off each way you are.

Example: 1/4sec iso 800 indoors @ F4.0 - well enough lit scene in liveview and 0.3 underexposed. If I were to crank the aperture to F8 it would be several stops underexposed and the LV dims correspondingly. It has limitations however, the LCD doesn't alter past +/- 3EV because it wouldn't be possible to compose the shot if it goes completely black or white.

Of course when you fire the shutter when you're more than 3EV out resulting image is darker/brighter than the one in the LV display. But within 3EV either side of ideal it will update the LCD display.

In other modes such as AV, when you adjust the Aperture the shutter speed information updates, but no image brightness (since camera is trying to keep same exposure). However if you adjust the EV it will alter the brightness to reflect the final shot, within the same bright/darkness limits as above.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 8, 2012 12:38:36 AM PDT
Anjaok says:

The K-5 and K-30 results are up here. K-30 appears to have sharper results - not sure if any detail is lost through sharpening - I don't see much difference. In theory the K-5 should have greater DR still, as it did over the K-01.

Posted on Jul 8, 2012 9:47:09 AM PDT
GJL says:
Thanks for taking the time but .... would you please move this toward a thorough review when you've had more than an hour with it? We'd all appreciate that a great deal.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 8, 2012 5:59:08 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Jul 23, 2012 3:43:25 PM PDT]

Posted on Jul 9, 2012 11:41:23 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 9, 2012 11:45:49 AM PDT
I also own the k7, Kr and k5 cameras. Do you think that the k30 has sufficient upgrades to warrent using it over the K5? Ie. they both have 16 MP and weather sealing etc. etc. and great noise reduction too. I will probably buy the K30 but would like to think I'm getting some features the K5 lacks to justify the expendature. I don't shoot video but really enjoyed using those digital filters. I was hoping they would add additional filters to newer models

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 9, 2012 12:51:53 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 9, 2012 12:52:30 PM PDT
Okay, I have now field-tested the K30 and I will admit my enthusiasm has cooled a bit. The noise handling I would say actually lags the K5 just a tad. I do like the "Night/Low Lght Portrait" setting on the new "Scene" menu - it very capably drags the shutter when used in combnination with a Pentax AF 360fgz or AF 540fgz, and that will be a big boon to me for wedding shots. It is less capable outdoors, where it rendered a very cool white balance.

For Robert, I would not choose this model over the K5. It is a significant upgrade to the KX and I am still pleased with my purchase, but it is not an all-round improvement over the K5, which has many features (PC sync terminal for external flash strobes, top status menu, viewfinder level with vertical as well as horizontal, and external battery grip capability) that would be sorely missed.

I'm glad I upgraded my KX, but I'll wait for the full frame before discarding my K5.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 9, 2012 1:47:52 PM PDT
Hi you mentioned KX, is it the old KX or the new K-x? Thx.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›