4.0 out of 5 stars 9 pounds of awesome in a 3 pound bag, March 30, 2010
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Just Cause 2 - PC (CD-ROM)
Just Cause 2 is about the most fun that I have had with a PC game in a while. The graphics are absolutely amazing, view distance, dynamic environments. The look of this game is everything of Far Cry 2, with even more gasps of awesome.

You play the part of Rico Rodriguez, a CIA agent who is about the most physics breaking mass of testosterone I have ever seen. You are dropped into a large, open country to drop an evil dictator out of power by working with several different factions. To do this you have mass amounts of vehicles at your disposal, a multitude of guns and explosives and most importantly, a grappling hook and parachute.

This last part is the best part of the game. Using the hook, you can climb objects, access flying vehicles from the ground, pull people out of air and even tie object together. Tie someone to a barrel and blast the thing into space to see some real fun.

Initially, the game did not impress me. The story and mission parts of the game reminded me of Far Cry 2. Lots of repetition and little development. Then I hit a point where I slammed my car into another car and flew them both off a cliff. Seeing myself falling I decided to use my grappling hook to escape, but only managed to snare another bystander. In the end I opened a parachute and glided to safety all while watching one of the most insane wrecks ever. The game is full of stuff like this. Tie a motorcycle to a car and use it as a wrecking ball. Rope a plane and ride it around just because you can. So many times I found myself asking "Man wouldn't it be cool if I could to this?" Moments later, I did.

At this point I found that the point of the plot and game is actually secondary to the extreme sandbox fun in there. At points of my new found enjoyment, my wife actually thought I lost my mind due to the non-stop laughter and childlike joy radiating out of me. The fun factor of this game is higher than anything I can imagine playing lately. Honestly, this game is pure sandbox first, and an actual game third. Also, your destructive acts are rewarded with guns and vehicles. How many games honestly reward your childlike explosive needs?

As for the lack of XP support, well we saw this coming. Not many people cried that Halo didn't work on windows 3.1, so we really just need to move on here. DirectX 10 will simply not work on XP, and the look and feel of this game is something so amazing that you just need the best to make it happen.

If you are on the fence about getting yet another FPS in a time where they are roaming the earth, get off on this side now. This is not yet another modern day shooter remake, nor are you wandering yet another WW2 battlefield, this is something truly special.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 1, 2010 2:00:46 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 1, 2010 2:01:08 PM PDT
F. Cage says:
Chutzpuh, We should get together for a LAN party since I'm the "Final PC Gamer". ;)

Nice review. I was considering this game and your last line about not another modern day shooter or WW2 battlefield sold me. I'm always on PC gaming forums promoting fun unusual/unique/different PC games I run across.

Have you played Vampire The Maquerade Bloodlines? It totally flew under my radar when it came out. Even though its a little old I thoroughly enjoyed it a few months ago. It was to costly on Amazon (aftermarket sellers). I got it for about $19 off a download sight like steam or Direct2Drive, I forget exactly.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 1, 2010 4:38:16 PM PDT
Chutzpuh says:
I have played it actually. I think I came on it late as well and grabbed in on a Steam deal a while back. I always like the first person/rpg games out there and the gameplay in Vampires was certainly different.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 30, 2011 10:47:26 AM PDT
Chef Sean says:
Excellent review. My experience was very similar, I wasn't impressed at first. I played the first couple of missions and thought it was so-so. I think I was treating it as a run-and-gun and not exploiting the potential of the grapple and parachute. After putting it away for a while I just started playing again and realized how fun it is. The lack of plot bugged me at first but now I know it's just a backdrop to the sandbox mayhem. So many game developers are almost pathologically inserting realism, at the expense of fun, into their games these days. I'm glad someone got it right!

Posted on Jun 6, 2011 5:54:13 PM PDT
Danny Yu says:
Nicely done. In response to games that reward your childlike explosive needs, you should definitely try Red Faction: Guerilla! That game is all about explosions.

Posted on Dec 28, 2011 9:20:30 PM PST
If you like this you should also consider the Mercenaries series. The second one even has co-op. Similar premise to just cause except you're a mercenary (first along the Korean Border and in the new one, I believe in South America or something it's been a while). You do missions to earn money and rep with different factions (walking a careful line because missions that gain favor with one faction might bring you down with another). Rep gives you access to their weapons and vehicles, money well...you have to pay for those weapons and vehicles. Some of the weapons include things like carpet bombing (call in a jet to drop a cluster of bombs in an area) and more traditional weapons like assault rifles, sniper rifles, grenades and rocket launchers. Weapons include basic ground transportation like civilian cars, jeeps, hummers, apcs, and full-blown tanks. Best thing...you're a quick lookup away from cheat codes for the games so you can unlock the full arsenal whenever you want and just wreak havoc.

Posted on Jul 30, 2012 12:19:11 PM PDT
QUENTIN says:
I laughed so hard I cried at points. This was a fantastically written review.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.8 out of 5 stars (261 customer reviews)

$14.99 $9.85