4.0 out of 5 stars Cheaper than buying the non-upgrade version., June 23, 2013
I've had my issues with Windows 8 when it first came out, but to be honest, I've gotten over a lot of them. I don't like the fact that the typical start menu has been taken away, and I'm not a fan of the tile menu, but overall I've actually noticed I have to go through far less clicking to get to what I want. Once you figure out exactly how to use Windows 8, you'll be flying through all the menus at almost half the time you would on Windows 7 or XP.

As long as you can read, you'll notice that this is an upgrade, not a bootable install. In order to install Windows 8 with this upgrade, you must at least have Windows Xp, Vista, or 7. It doesn't matter if it is 32-bit or 64-bit (unless you want 64-bit and you currently have 32-bit, but I'll get to that in a moment.)

Upgrading is easy. Just have any of Windows XP-7 preinstalled on your PC, insert the disc, and the install goes from there. This upgrade comes with both a Windows 8 32-bit disc, and a Windows 8 64-bit disc. This DOES matter. If you currently have Windows XP 32-bit installed for example, you can only install the Windows 8 32-bit. But if you have Windows XP 64-bit, you can install either of the two (64-bit allows for better performance and unlocks the ability to install more than 4GB of RAM). It's easy, and you don't need to be too technically savvy.

Now I did have an odd thing happen when installing. My mind slipped, and I didn't check if I had 32-bit or 64-bit before hand. I wanted Windows 8 64-bit installed, but I had Windows XP 32-bit, so I couldn't. Now, this is an UPGRADE version of Windows 8, and isn't supposed to be able to install without a pre-existing version of Windows being installed. Apparantly, I got around this somehow. I wanted 64-bit, but had 32-bit, so I installed Windows 8 32-bit. After, I rebooted my PC, placed the Windows 8 64-bit install disc instead, and then booted from the disc, and it let me reformat the partition in my hard drive, and install Windows 8 64-bit from scratch. I don't know if this was a glitch or a fluke, but from what I know, Windows Upgrade discs aren't supposed to allow you to install from scratch. If you want to spend a little less on Windows 8, but only have a 32-bit on your current system, then you can try and take your chances on installing the 64-bit version anyway with my method above, but I do not suggest, and cannot guarantee it will work the same way.

Overall however, I'm happy with this product (aside that it took forever to deliver since it apparently ships from Hong Kong.) Windows 7 still has slightly better gaming performance, but Windows 8 certainly does a nice job.

EDIT: After spending a bit more time with the OS, I like it. A lot in fact. Ignore people saying "You can't do things on 8 that you can do on 7." That's an outright lie. What DID change however, is the way you can do these things. Just google it and you'll be fine. It does take some new knowledge.

Another thing I've seen, is that it is completely possible to load Windows 8 without any previous operating system. Just boot from the disc. I did this on another computer I built with this exact upgrade, and it installed no problem. It's pretty much just Windows 8.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 17, 2013 11:31:55 AM PDT
Jay Citizen says:
It sounds like you found out that upgrades can be installed from scratch, it is just a matter of the procedure you take. There are probably instruction at technet by google search.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 17, 2013 1:54:27 PM PDT
I definitely did find this out. I've been building PC's, but usually they either came preinstalled, or had an unused copy of a full operating system. This Windows 8 upgrade is the first OS upgrade I've ever used, and it has been a pretty knowledgeable experience for me.

Posted on Aug 31, 2013 4:45:02 PM PDT
papajuan says:
Thanks for a great review. It took about a week of using two computers, one win7 for searching win8 "how to" on the WWW and the new win8 for trying them out. By day three I knew that windows 8 was an improvement over win7 (& even over DR-DOS)
I think anyone that says it needs a touch screen is completely, 100% WRONG, you need to learn how use windows 8. PERIOD

Posted on Nov 12, 2013 9:42:52 AM PST
Macauley86 says:
Will the upgrade format my hard drive? Or will it keep all my applications and files intact, just upgrading the OS? Thank you

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2013 10:22:44 AM PST
Jay Citizen says:
Macauley86 - It depends on whether you are upgrading from Win 8 or not. If you are upgrading from an older OS like XP, Vista, or Win7, then no - you will have to use the Windows Easy Transfer to get your files from the old installation. Applications will have to be re-acquired and installed again. The best thing to do is download the Upgrade advisor from Microsoft, and see what it says about your applications and hardware, to see if it will work with this version of Windows. Some older CPUs won't even operate properly with Win8, so be aware. As far as I know, you don't have to wipe the drive, and in the past, the installation would put all your files in a folder in the root directory called "Windows old" - if I remember correctly. I wouldn't use that as a backup method though, I'd still use the 'easy transfer' method for older operating systems; to preserve your old data.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2013 10:39:24 AM PST
Macauley86 says:
Thank you much.

Posted on Feb 13, 2014 8:58:19 PM PST
Richey says:
I purchased a Dell with the fatal Vista stuck in the past with SP1. It never upgrade and was always trying but never succeeded. After doing research I found out that your hardware MAY be able to do a 32 to 64bit upgrade, you just have to check if it can handle it (in the hardware specification). I successfully got mine upgraded from Vista-32bit to Win8-64bit with decent results. Only miss the start menu....other than that I think it's a great trade off! So word the the Wise: Your rolling the dice if you don't check the specifications of your computer for a 32 to 64bit upgrade!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›