5.0 out of 5 stars Feature-rich solution, installed on Win 7 64-bit without issue, best version yet, November 14, 2012
This review is from: Quicken WillMaker Plus 2013 [Old Version] (CD-ROM)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Length:: 3:50 Mins

Quicken WillMaker Plus 2013 is the best version of this software to date. Easy to install and use, it's the most comprehensive, inexpsensive, do-it-yourself kit for all documents related to estate planning out there.

The reasons I think it's so great?

1. It has a 100% Satistfaction Money-Back Guarantee! Nothing to lose on this one.
2. Works with Windows XP SP2, Vista, Win 7 AND Windows 8!
3. Freebies include: e-box with registration "Nolo's Encyclopedia of Everyday Law'. Not necessary for anything you'll be doing, but nice.
4. Book included called 'The Legal Answer Book for Families' is an easy to read, simple guide to general legal issues today including same-sex marriage, elder care, name changes and others.
5. For the little bit of money you spend on this software, you save a ton in legal fees that you'd have to pay an attorney to do it for you.
6. Minimual PC requirements mean that almost anyone; even those with older computers, can use this software to make documents.
7. It's easy to quickly create home and family documents like Temporary Guardianship Authorizations, Pet Care Agreements, and Childcare Agreements.
8. You can create a Bill of Sale, Promissory Notes and Limited Power of Attorney for Finances documents. Very handy!
9. You can have several members of your family using it and it will install on multiple computers.
10. Estate planning documents include: Legal Will (specific to your state), Health Care Directive, Durable Finacial Power of Attorney, Revocation Documents, Property Worksheet, Information for Caregivers and Survivors, Final Arrangements, General Notice of Death (for newspaper), Affidavit of Domicile, and Executor's Checklist. **Comprehensive and easy to use with lots of help available if you need it.
11. Installs and asks to update immediately. Mine installed on Windows 7 PC wihtout a hitch, and was up-to-date when installed. Started filling in basic information and was making documents within the hour.
12. The price is right!

The software asks the right questions and provides you with legal documents at the right price! Plus you get a FREE Online Living Trust by signing up for a Nolo account online. (TIP: I would imagine you'll get some emails from them, so you might want to use a web-based email for correspondence to limit your spam from them.)

Overall, great program and I highly recommend it to all!

UPDATE: 11/24/12
Regarding the issue some people are having with Windows 7 installations. I've been able to install this program on 3 PCs running Windows 7 (64-bit) without issue. Some things that may be triggering a problem for some include PC antivirus programs running in the background during installation, amount of PC system memory and 32-bit versus 64-bit Windows 7.

If your PC is running less than 4GB of memory on a Windows 7 PC, it's going to struggle with anything but basic tasks - at least over time when you're asking it to do more with other things running. Consider a PC memory upgrade (usually pretty cheap to do) and you'll notice a considerable pick-up in all areas. This may also be an issue to consider if you're having trouble installing Willmaker or other software.

Also make sure you turn off your antivirus and other security software during installation. Sometimes that can act as a blocker to a clean install. New software can be seen as an attack by an antivirus, antimalware or firewall.

Finally, while both Windows 7 32-bit and 64-bit are compatible with this software, my own experience is that sometimes if I have a 32-bit OS and not quite enough memory to make the PC happy, I'll be unable to get certain programs to install.

How do I know this? Trial and error. As an intermediate to advanced user who's built a few desktop PCs from scratch, I just know that if I'm the only one having issues with a compatible bit of software and an OS, it's usually something with my PC's hardware or other programs not being happy with the newly introduced one.

Hope this helps you!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 11 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 24, 2012 5:44:10 AM PST
Louise Llama says:
So, which Windows version did you use it in? Reports of not loading in Windows 7 so there are probably issues with Windows 8 as well. Please advise.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 24, 2012 3:58:26 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 24, 2012 4:01:30 PM PST
Andrea Polk says:
I have a Windows 7 (64-bit) OS on my computer, and had no problems with installing it. I'd not be surprised if issues arise on computers running the 32-bit version of Windows 7, as is sometimes the case with other software. The amount of memory on your system may also result in issues. Mine has 8GB of memory.

I'd bet it'll be OK with Windows 8 as long as the PC its running on has enough memory to run both its operating system and this program. *Any PC running Windows 7 or 8 should have a minimum of 4GB of memory in my opinion, although I know some ship with less. It's a cheap upgrade though, and one you can do yourself in most PCs, so if you're struggling to run certain kinds of software, I'd look to that issue and system requirements before blaming the software.

This is the newest version of this software and says it's compatible with Windows 8. I'd expect a high likelihood of compatibility, and certainly of support with downloads and fixes if not.

I hope this helps you. This is very good software and I believe it's solid in Windows 7. I've seen the other reviews of issues with W7, but I truly believe those issues are not this software, and are more related to what else may be happening on idividual PCs.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 24, 2012 6:33:12 PM PST
Louise Llama says:
Great. Thanks. I am using a new Samsung laptop Win 7 64 bit so I prob won't have any issues. I bought the damn laptop to replace a Windows desktop for the exclusive use of Windows programs because my main laptop is a MacBook Pro. I really like Quicken products but refuse to load anything Windows on Mac so that is why I bought the Samsung. Thanks for your timely response. I went ahead and purchased the Quicken Will.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 24, 2012 9:10:20 PM PST
Andrea Polk says:
I hope it works for you. Sounds like it'll be just fine. If it doesn't be sure to contact them. It has a 100% satisfaction guarantee.

Posted on Dec 23, 2012 5:41:01 PM PST
Sam says:
While upgrading memory is beneficial for many reasons, it will not solve the problem exhibited by Willmaker. If you have *only* "been able to install this program on 3 PCs running Windows 7 (64-bit)" how can you confidently say the program "works with Windows XP SP2, Vista, Win 7 AND Windows 8!". If you have installed this version (not previous versions) on Windows XP SP2, Vista, Win 7 32 and 63 bit AND Windows 8 32 and 64 bit then I stand corrected. You are correct that a cause of problems is "other programs not being happy with the newly introduced one" but the solution can be complicated; one approach involves uninstalling and installing supporting libraries so everything becomes compatible; that's not an approach for the average user.

So I'll simplify. Willmaker installs just fine for most people. But some have a problem. You can request a refund, or try a different machine. More memory won't help.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 23, 2012 8:50:16 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 23, 2012 8:53:50 PM PST
Sam...

I don't think I indicated upgrading memory would 'solve' the problem. I indicated it 'may' be an issue.

Any info passed on in the review as to what are this software's compatible operating systems came from Willmaker, and not from my experience with systems running those operating systems.

In writing reviews I share my experience, and opinions. This product installed wihout incident on my Windows 7 PCs, and in my opinion and per the Willmaker packaging, it's compatible with Windows 7. Admittedly, some are having issues, but this is not uncommon with any software. While I'm not proclaiming to be an expert on every aspect of installation or the software itself, I do believe that mentioning things like system memory is valid and may help others, which is the point of my reviews.

As stated you do have a '100% Satisfaction Guarantee' with Willmaker software, so really, nothing to lose other than perhaps a bit of time if it doesn't work for you.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 7, 2013 11:59:33 AM PDT
Hi Andrea,

Not sure if you're still checking replies on your comments, but in case you do, I have a question.
Did you get the downloadable via the internet version or the CD version with book?
I'm leaning on the internet version that I just have to download to my computer, but not quite sure if my husband can download it to his as well??

Please advise. Thanks.

JD

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 7, 2013 7:56:22 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 7, 2013 7:58:17 PM PDT
Hi JD,

I got the CD version with a book. Quicken WillMaker Plus 2013 [Download] is the other version and it probably cannot be downloaded to more than one computer, but check with the Nolo site Customer Service to make sure. At the bottom there's a Customer Service link with FAQ. If you can't find the answer there, use the Contact Us 'Other/Feedback' link.

Hope this helps you.

Andrea

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 11, 2013 10:06:01 AM PDT
connie says:
I have used Quicken Family Law 99ST W95 CD. It was great and fit my needs very well at the time.
I'm looking for an upgrade and I really like this review... What a great review Andrea. I like your video as it gives me the confidence to know I can use this program successfully. I am not very computer savvy and your video was very will presented for someone like me. Thank you again. Constance

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 11, 2013 10:08:31 AM PDT
connie says:
I will be using this software with Window 7. Constance
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.1 out of 5 stars (211 customer reviews)

Used & New from: $28.95
Add to wishlist
Reviewer

Andrea Polk
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)

Location: Pacific Northwest - USA