5.0 out of 5 stars Ina changed my life!, October 26, 2006
This review is from: Barefoot Contessa at Home: Everyday Recipes You'll Make Over and Over Again (Hardcover)
I cook because of Ina. Before I found her first cookbook, I cooked infrequently. I knew the basics, but I didn't have simple, great tasting recipes that I enjoyed making on a regular basis. Ina changed my life with her books, and my friends and family thank her for it!

I'm one of those people that needs to have a photo of the finished product, and Ina delivers beautiful images, encouraging you to give the recipe a try. Her recipes were easy and each one was a tasty success, I have slowly devoured my way through her books.

I am thrilled with this new one, and just with the first pass through it, I've found 14 recipes I'd like to try immediately!

I am a little surprised by comments made by one of the other reviewers, (which is why I am now writing my first review for Amazon.) They had issue with Ina's liberal use of butter and salt, the cost of the book, her crediting recipes to other people, Ina's suggestions for grocery shopping, etc. How funny!

Part of Ina's charm and fabulous tasting food results from copious amounts of butter and salt. If you have an issue with it, you probably shouldn't make those recipes. (She has plenty of recipes that don't have butter in them, but they aren't as tasty!)

Why someone would complain about the cost of the cookbook baffles me. The retail cost of the books is $35, (I pre-ordered it for $20.35) It is a wonderful book with exquisite photos, and if you say it has only 80 recipes, I'll take your word for it. Would you rather sit in front of the TV, watching her show and writing down the recipes? I feel this is the type of book that because it is so beautiful, would be a lovely gift, let alone a welcome addition to anyone's kitchen.

Each chef and their cookbooks are unique, and Ina's style fits perfectly into my kitchen. I just hope that Ina keeps producing more books so I can keep expanding my list of recipes!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 6, 2006 2:07:47 PM PST
Thanks for the great review on this book. I'm a big fan of Ina's and look forward in getting this cookbook!

Thanks again,

Rachel :-)

Posted on Jan 20, 2007 7:18:12 PM PST
Kevin Graves says:
Excellent review! Why is it when Julia Child or Emeril use copious amounts of butter or salt, they are classic chefs, but Ina uses too much. Paula Deen uses too much butter. I imagine Ina, being the lover of French cuisine subscribes to the French Paradox and wine she drinks with a meal probably balances things out. Add to that the fact that no one, not even Ina Garten cooks these recipes every day.

Posted on Nov 11, 2007 9:05:29 PM PST
Cynthia says:
I adore Ina. I love most of her recipes. I own hundreds of cookbooks and all of Ina's. However...I was not thrilled with this new book. I really did not think the photographs were very appealing. Case in point, the broccoli dishes looked worse than something I would find in an army chow line. And what about those tiny little photos? Most of Ina's photos looked like she was quite washed out too. If I were she, I would try a different food stylist or photographer for the next book.

You can't win them all, but I agree with you that many of the recipes are keepers. But her other books are more appealing to me Thanks for your review.

Posted on Apr 8, 2008 9:17:29 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 8, 2008 9:18:55 AM PDT
DFE says:
Your comments about lots of butter and salt making things good reminded me of my Grandma - a most excellent cook and very health one too - watching Julia Child prepare some rich receipe on TV. Her observation was that anyone can make something taste good if they use a lot of fat and salt, the trick is to making taste good without it. That said, I didn't find her non-desert receipes too far out of line with the fat content and can easily adjust it to suit my tastess. Her deserts as always, use crazy amounts of butter.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›