3.0 out of 5 stars It is what it is, October 8, 2012
This review is from: UPPERCASE Ultra Thin Clear Soft TPU Keyboard Cover Skin for Macbook Pro 13 15 17 Inch (Personal Computers)
PROS:
- Fits perfectly on Macbook Pro with Retina 15.4" keyboard
- Does its job of protecting and covering your keyboard area

NEUTRAL:
- Translucent finish (cover isn't transparent; your keyboard isn't as black)
- $8. Not cheap, but not expensive

CONS:
- Makes it slightly harder to type. I am a touch typist; I like to type really quickly without pushing down on keys too hard. This cover prevents that, and I find myself having to go back and re-type things more often, especially stuff that I like to type quickly (AKA passwords/login)

I have never had a keyboard cover on my laptops before. This is my first Macbook and my first keyboard cover. I didn't know what to expect, but this product will do in terms of covering and protecting your rMBP keyboard. Some people might not like the translucent finish, but you can still see that your keys are black and illuminated. Others won't like the typing hindrance, which may be really minor to some but more bothersome if you like to type with minimal force like me.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 20, 2013 5:54:20 PM PDT
Whit Downer says:
I have owned/used/tried several brands of keyboard covers, and this is the thinnest and most flexible I have ever touched. This means, in my experience, no other keyboard cover is going to offer more touch-keyboarding than this. The only way, IMO, to have less interference with the keyboard is to have no keyboard cover at all - and you want to risk your MacBook Pro to spills why? IMO.

Posted on Mar 21, 2013 12:56:31 PM PDT
B. Nebab says:
Spot on review. I'm also a touch-typist and a new first-time MBPr owner. I go from a top speed of 75 wpm without the cover to 45 due to having to backspace to correct. Oh well. With your review, I at least knew beforehand, so thanks. I am keeping the cover to keep my MB in pristine shape - all my Windows keyboards/laptops have the matte sheen or letters worn off from use.

Posted on May 11, 2013 10:59:16 PM PDT
Ciara says:
Longtime Macbook Pro owner here. As a cost-effective alternative, here's what I've been doing from the beginning. I use a thicker ml clear plastic, which I cut to fit just covering the outer edge of the raised surface on the shelf of the keyboard, and all the way around it. Seal with good quality (I use Scotch brand), clear tape, and voilà. I also have a light touch, and appreciate how much I can feel the keys underneath. The keyboard and inner workings of my computer have remained intact.

I've found only two drawbacks. A new cover takes awhile to break in, perhaps a month or so, before the plastic starts to take on the character of the keys. Secondly, if you have a light nearby your keyboard, the reflection sometimes keeps you from seeing the letter and numbers.

That's why willing to try this one, just to see how it compares to what I'm used to.

Posted on Jul 27, 2013 10:22:54 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Jul 28, 2013 2:13:47 PM PDT]

Posted on Sep 29, 2013 2:45:34 AM PDT
J. Ten says:
I disagree with the not cheap part, compared to Moshi's $25 one, this is 1/3 of THAT price for comparable functionality.

Posted on Nov 13, 2013 3:21:09 AM PST
jayson says:
this product is for macbook pro, not macbook pro with retina display.

Posted on Jul 18, 2014 3:48:53 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 18, 2014 3:50:13 PM PDT
Evelyn says:
I totally agree with you. I also type super fast and for some reason when I use this on my keyboard (not just this protector but other brands too) I feel that I have to push hard on my keys in order for it to type out. Its just too time consuming I feel and not that effective. And for me, I do a lot of typing and sometimes I want to just type it fast and not have to worry about spell check and stuff or going back to a word cause i didn't type it fully out. Lucky, my friend got this for me so I didn't have to actually pay for it. So its not bad. But I took it off because it was rather annoying me a lot when I was typing up my paper for school. So what I do now is I use the cleaning duster sprays to clean my keyboard on my Macbook Pro. I usually do this like twice a week and I feel that this is a better way for me. :]

Posted on Jul 29, 2014 12:03:47 PM PDT
hrm says:
you should try using the uppercase keyboard cover for macbook pro with retina display, because that model has a slightly shallower keyboard than the regular macbooks. It's likely you are encountering some loose plastic over each key that worsens tactile experience of typing

Posted on Oct 28, 2014 2:45:23 PM PDT
Mark_42 says:
It is what it is but it's better quality and a third the price of the Moshi(sp?). I find that it's much easier to clean than the Moshi and has no problems being cleaned with something as harsh as limonene. Just wait a few days before putting it back on your Mac.

For those who had problems typing on it, did you get used to it over time?
‹ Previous 1 Next ›