2.0 out of 5 stars Function great, Wear poor, November 27, 2007
This review is from: Timex® Men's Classic Digital Silver-Tone Expansion Band Watch #T78587 (Watch)
I've bought several of these watches. Like the others, I appreciate the functions and the simplicity. Unfortunately, this watch uses a very cheap method of plating chrome metal over a plastic base. After 1-2 years of wear, this plating fails, and seperates from the base material. This creates very sharp little "knife blades" on the edge of the case. With the stretch band, you have to pull it on/off over your hand. The back of my hand is always covered with scratches caused by the plating on the watch case. So, I have several of these, still running perfectly, in drawers un-usable. A poor manufacturing/design. I would assume the gold is similar.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 4 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 4, 2010 9:55:29 PM PST
Menil Man says:
We have to wonder why you've bought so many through the years, if you're so unhappy with it.... :/

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 23, 2010 3:34:50 PM PDT
72bora says:
The watch functions are good and usable. Like the band. Not many simple digitals out there. Also cheap, $19.95 on sale. Easy replacement if damaged while working. I just have to deal with replacing a completely functional watch every 2 years due to the workmanship.

Posted on Nov 28, 2010 11:53:36 AM PST
MrCurious says:
I also have several of these watches in my drawer, all functioning perfectly, but broken at the band mount. It's a great watch and decent looking compared to the rest of the crappy looking digital display watches out there. It just has a MAJOR flaw, the poor plastic base which will break after a couple of years like you said. Unfortunately, this watch still seems to be the only option for me to buy as I refuse to wear last century's silly pointy-arrow watches which seems to be about all you can get these days.

Posted on May 21, 2011 4:40:22 PM PDT
Turn it over and spray with clear enamel you buy at Wal-You-Know-Who. I seal cheap steel bike rims with it. The enamel will also coat wheel covers you have re-painted silver metallic. Wonderful stuff. Belongs in every household!

Posted on Jan 6, 2012 8:03:34 AM PST
Tugboat Guy says:
I have run into the same problem of the sharp edge scrapping my wrist. A couple of coats of clear nail polish works great

Posted on Apr 9, 2012 5:48:07 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 9, 2012 5:48:50 AM PDT
DennisV says:
72bora,
I've experienced exactly the same problem that you've encountered with this watch. The chrome plating breaks away from the plastic base and creates razor sharp edges that scratch my wrist. Other than this problem I love this watch. It works, is inexpensive, and has all the features I want (i.e. time, date, stop watch). I'm on Amazon right now placing an order for one even though the one on my wrist is working perfectly except that it is scratching the heck out of my skin with the sharp edges of the worn away chrome plating. I might have to try the nail polish or clear enamel remedy and see if I can salvage my old watch.
Dennis

Posted on Dec 9, 2012 7:17:39 PM PST
David W. says:
A little light sanding will remove the sharp edges and expose the plastic base. I did this on mine and used it for many more years until I had a hard time reading (due to ahem, age) the smallish digits of this watch. I now have a Timex Expedition with huge digits in comparison. My Timex Classic still works and I use it when I'm painting or getting my hands greasy.

Posted on Aug 12, 2013 3:13:24 PM PDT
Sean Elkins says:
The specs for this particular model say the case is brass, not plastic. I wonder if it will be better about resisting corrosion? I have the same problem, compounded by the fact that i wear my watch on the bottom of my wrist. The skin there isn't nearly as tough as on the back of my hand.

Posted on May 8, 2014 10:05:38 AM PDT
catraveler says:
Timex Men's T78587 Classics Digital Dress Chronograph Silver-Tone Expansion Band Watch
I have also purchased 2 of this model, they are very attractive, and functional, but, as noted, the case is PLASTIC, with chrome plating. I have had both of mine break off one of the band mount "ears". I don't use an expansion type band, they pull the hair on my wrist to much. Both were replaced by an extended warrantee.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›