Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM

1.0 out of 5 stars Junk, and the warranty is crap, April 3, 2012
This review is from: Rockland Luggage 19 Inch Tote Bag (Apparel)
I had originally purchased this bag (except that it is the black and white plaid design one) in late March 2011. I had left a positive review here on Amazon under that particular bag, but now I have run into a problem with the bag, and Amazon will not let me edit my review as they are not selling the design that I purchased at the moment. Therefore, although the design of this one is different, the brand, size, and features (two front pockets, two side pockets) are all the same as the one I have, so I felt compelled to write another review and let fellow Amazon buyers know my issue with Rockland.

As I noted previously, I purchased the duffle bag in late March 2011. I thought the bag was great, as all aspects of the bag seemed to be sturdy. However, no more than 6-8 uses, and less than one year later (on March 13, 2012), I was packing for a trip. I had eight shirts in the bag, went to pick it up to put my curling iron in it, and I heard a tear! Upon further inspection of the bag, I noticed that it had tore at the seam on the left side (a good size tear, I would say about 5-6 inches maybe). I went to the store and bought another bag for my trip, since I was in a hurry, I didn't have time to shop around for one that was comparable to the size of the Rockland duffle bag that had tore, but I thought "I'll suck it up and use the new one now even though its much smaller, and deal with the torn one when I get home, it has a warranty".

When I got home, I decided to try and take care of the problem, no big deal, right? WRONG! I contacted "Fox Luggage" (apparently the makers of Rockland), and they emailed me the warranty claim form. On the form, it noted that I had to send them the bag back so they could "inspect it" and ensure that it would be convered under warranty, along with $25 for handling. Well, I didn't expect them to ship me a new one without seeing what had happened to the one I had, and I didn't expect that they would ship me out another one for free either, but I thought $25 was outrageous seeing as to how the bag costed me $20 here on Amazon last year, and the same exact one that I have is on clearance at Target for $14.44 (as of 4/3/12)! I emailed them again and told them that such a warranty would only benefit someone who purchased one of their more "higher priced" luggage sets, and it would do me, or anyone else that had purchased this duffle bag (or even the one with wheels) no good. It wasn't surprising that I never heard back from them.

Now normally, I am NOT the type of consumer to "complain", (particularly for a $20 product that I can now purchase for $14), but I was very disappointed in the way Fox Luggage handled this. The bag that I have has NEVER seen an airport, bus or train station, it has only seen the trunk of my car (6-8 times as noted previously). It still looks BRAND NEW (except for the tear on the side), and even smells brand new! Had I got a couple of years use out of it, and at least another 6-8 uses, I probably wouldn't be here, but I feel that I totally got ripped off, and their customer service was not very good either. So much for the compliments on my bag, I wonder how many I will get now that I tell everyone that Rockland (Fox Luggage) was so unhelpful.

In closing, I truly wish companies would not boast about their "warranty" unless they are willing to [fairly] follow through with it for each customer who purchased their product. Regardless of whether the bag was $500 or $14, it's only fair that the company ensure that regardless of how much each customer spent on their product, they have a fair opportunity to make use of the warranty that is given should they need to. But, I guess according to Fox Luggage (Rockland), only those who purchase higher priced products are worthy of being able to fairly take advantage of their warranty-what a shame. I will never purchase another Fox Luggage product again, and I will be sure to share my personal experience and opinions about Fox Luggage (Rockland) to anyone who is willing to listen. I went ahead and purchased the same bag again from Target for $14, but I will be returning it tomorrow as I will not knowingly support a company that makes a 3 year warranty one of their major selling points, and instead uses it to disadvantage its consumers a second time.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 4 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 17 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 15, 2012 3:14:16 PM PDT
it did the same for me ripped it was horrible i never put alot in it only a little which didnt weigh alot and it rip in 3 places 1. when i first used it , it was on the top 2. after a few uses on the side pocket 3. on the bottom then i gave up .

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 16, 2012 1:26:25 AM PDT
RS says:
I never put a lot in it either. For the most part, I put my shirts in it, and my shampoo, curling iron, brush, and body wash on the two side pockets. I guess I should feel fortunate that mine only ripped in one place, rather than three like yours (sarcasm). I am now stuck with a bag with a big tear on the side, but I guess I will try fixing it myself as I really do love the size of the bag, and I have yet to find one of the same size with comparable features (such as the two side pockets/two front pockets). Rockland also emailed me back too-about 4 days after I wrote this review. They just said that they can't help me if I'm not willing to send them the torn bag. I never said I had an issue with mailing them the torn bag, I had an issue with sending them $25 for a bag that I could replace for $14. I suppose there is a reason they are on clearance at Target! When I went to return it, it was still in the shipping box, not even opened. The girl asked why I was returning something that hadn't been opened, and of course I had to share my story! Thanks for sharing yours as well, at least I know I am not the only one who had problems with this item.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 27, 2012 7:26:34 AM PDT
By any chance do you still have their number? I have had the same issues with all 4 bags I just bought from them and of course they don't include their number but I'm pissed and I will fight their warranty cost all the way!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 18, 2013 1:49:36 PM PST
RS says:
This is the number I called: (323) 588-1688. I'm sorry for taking so long to reply, I didn't realize that you had replied to this. I hope it's not too late and you can get them to help you!

I went ahead and repaired mine myself, but I'm scared to use it--I'm not worried about my sewing, I'm worried about theirs! I really don't feel like having my stuff all over the parking lot of my hotel if the bag were to tear unexpectedly again like it did the first time! So, it's just a pretty decoration in my closet.

Posted on Apr 4, 2013 4:46:29 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Apr 4, 2013 4:47:35 PM PDT]

Posted on Apr 4, 2013 4:46:29 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Apr 4, 2013 4:47:44 PM PDT]

Posted on Apr 4, 2013 4:47:21 PM PDT
Andy says:
I just wanted to thank you for this review. I was about to buy this bag for my camping trip and I have no clue if it would have survived. Now I know not to buy from this company and to find something more durable. Thanks again!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 14, 2013 8:28:54 PM PDT
Callie says:
I also thank you for this review I won't be purchasing this product.

Posted on Aug 17, 2013 1:28:44 PM PDT
Linda Mae says:
Thank you for your review. We also had been considering purchasing over $1000 of this product. However based on your experience and those of others, we will spend our hard earned money with another vendor. Thank you again. One day vendors will begin to consider the power of the Internet and that of the consumer who is well-informed and shares their experiences with others.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 22, 2013 9:31:54 PM PDT
Wow! Very informative review. Terrible customer service considering a pic emailed as an attachment should have satisfied their requirements w/o incurring additional fees to the consumer.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›