2.0 out of 5 stars Ok camera with some deal ending flaws, November 20, 2011
This review is from: Kodak EasyShare Z990 12 MP Digital Camera with 30x Optical Zoom, HD Video Capture and 3.0-Inch LCD (Camera)
I looked at many digital cameras online and read many reviews before making this purchase (thanks to everyone who takes the time to post - it really helps!). I purchased this camera because we had a kodak digital camera in the past and really enjoyed it before it broke. It was VERY easy to use (intuitive design and menus), rugged, and accepts many different kinds of batteries (important for us because we live and work in Africa). We decided on this camera partly because of the batteries, but also because we needed an optical viewfinder and many digital cameras have only the backside viewfinder, which is hard to see in bright light situations. The camera is still easy to use and understand, but there is a HUGE delay between the time you press the shutter and when the camera takes the picture. I have missed hundreds of candid photos because of this. Perhaps someone out there has a solution for this (I will re-read the users guide and see if there is a way out of this)? In the meantime, it makes the camera almost useless for my purposes, and quite a frustrating photographic experience. Sorry Kodak! I wanted to love it, but it is driving me nuts.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 8 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 24 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 20, 2011 11:17:08 PM PST
You might try switching between Continuous AF and Single AF modes as well as trying either Multi-zone or Center focal zones.

Posted on Jul 23, 2012 7:06:24 AM PDT
J. Leary says:
If you are using the camera in an auto mode the sensors have a lot of data to evaluate before taking the actual shot (light, distance, movement, etc.). Hence the delay. If you are looking to get candid, higher action shots switch to a manual mode, turn off the flash (if lighting is dim try using a higher ISO setting), and possibly even use scene bracketing. the scene bracketing will take three successive pictures at different settings for those of us that are never sure what exposure settings to use. You will almost certainly capture the shots you want under these circumstances.

Posted on Aug 13, 2012 7:47:17 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 13, 2012 7:49:11 PM PDT
I actually have had the exact same problem with this camera. I am exactly the same as Jennifer, I had an earlier version of a Kodak Easyshare camera from 2004 that worked great with the exception of photos in low light. Since technology had changed significantly in that time, I wanted to upgrade my camera but wanted to stick with the Kodak features that I knew and loved. However, I don't believe this is always caused by the focusing (auto focus vs manual etc as noted by the other commenters). My issues seem to come up when I have just taken a photo and want to take another. At times, there can be a 10-25 second delay between the time I take one picture and the time I can get the camera to even want to zoom for the next shot. It is extremely frustrating.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 23, 2012 12:54:04 AM PDT
I noted that the camera's response significantly sped up when a firmware update was applied from kodak's website. I could snap pictures of cars going by on the freeway out past my house while they were only in view for a moment or two on auto.

Now the result picture stays up way, way too long. But that's okay, I hold down the shutter halfway to focus and it snaps back to viewfinder.

Posted on Aug 28, 2012 5:31:53 AM PDT
Kyle says:
Did you know that Kodak released a Firmware update December 2011 that fixes all the bugs and delays that most people are addressing here?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 24, 2012 5:20:22 AM PDT
Xanlthorpe says:
Upgrade your memory card to at least a class 10, and you should see that delay reduce or disappear.

Posted on Sep 30, 2012 9:25:43 PM PDT
greg c says:
Another astute reviewer on a newer model Kodak having the same problem noted that after trying various memory cards to no avail, a Sandisk card gave MUCH quicker results, although still 1 to 2 sec delay. Hope you can find better specifics from Kodak or the "pros". Good Luck and Thank You for your review!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 6, 2012 7:49:53 AM PDT
Kyle says:
My 32gb sandisk class 10 card has hardly any delay....did you format the card first?

Posted on Oct 19, 2012 8:16:08 PM PDT
s.simko says:
Use the scenes, or manual focus. In full auto, pictures will be slow, especially if using zoom or moving as auto focus on this camera is constantly searching. Also make sure the red light is not covered while taking pictures.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 19, 2012 8:17:00 PM PDT
s.simko says:
Get a faster memory card. (Class 10) 12mp pictures in raw data are large files!
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›