Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Prime Music Sweepstakes egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grooming Deals Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Cyber Monday Deals Holiday Music in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now HTL

3.0 out of 5 stars The magic is spent, November 19, 2012
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: World of Warcraft: Mists of Pandaria - PC/Mac (Video Game)
I adored WOW when it came out. MMO aspect aside, it was one of the most beautiful game worlds ever conceived. The art direction was awe-inspiring, and the combat was very good. I was invested in the warcraft lore and so actually being able to run in a building was pretty amazing to me. Thunder Bluff, the Undercity, Stormwind, Tendrassill have some of the best architectures ever seen, in real life or in virtual life.

I played through burning legion then took a break. But when I came back for trials, I'd still play ravishingly, burning through the new content as fast as I could while the trial lasted. The last time I did this was with the Cataclysm scroll of resurrection.

I just played the trial. I played a hours of it, completed a few quests.

Then got bored. It was a chore to complete. I stopped at the first pandaria 85 zone.

The magic is gone.

WOW has really changed over the years. Where it had once been bustling with life, now it is largely empty. I remember when it was so full that completing newbie quests could be hard because there was always someone killing the newbie stuff. Now, I go to 85 Horde Pandaria area like one month after launch and it is *empty*. It's like the people who still are playing the game max out the level within a week of release and then go raiding.

World PVP used to be real. Starting around level 25, Alliance and Horde were channeled to the same zones and so while completing a quest you might see an opposite faction player and decide to gank him, or he gank you. That added a sense of chaotic spontaneity and I loved it.

Now, you largely quest alone and there's no one to challenge you. Or, a high level griefer will drop by, kill you, and then fly off with a flying mount.

All of this is I believe a natural result of MMO's developing expansions which spread out the player base, as well as the game just getting old.

My biggest problem with WOW as it is right now though are the numbers. My druid has something like 16 million health. I remember when he was like level 15 and had 112 HP. I prefer having HP and damage be in the low 3 digits and the high 2 digits. That makes it easy to keep track of stuff. Now, stats are in the hundreds of thousands which makes them meaningless. I do not notice out how a piece that improves my agi from 293 to 333 makes things better, because the damage goes from like 30,203 to 31,212.

In RPG's, it's really cool getting a new sword that lets you increase your damage from just 8 to 9. But from 68382 to 72384?

Also, WOW as it has aged has only streamlined more and shed its RPG lineage. Shamans and Paladins are had on each faction. Yeah, balance, but still it takes away contrast. Druids used to go on this epic two-continent quest to get water travel form. The quests were tied in with the lore, because the people in charge were story-tellers first, power-levelers last.

Now, the power-levelers have taken over. You train water form at the trainer. Exciting, I know.

Also, complexity has increased exponentially, and customizability has gone down. With my druid there are like three charge skills, 5 "oh shit" skills, 5 finishing moves, 4 bleed moves, at any times there will be like 15 -20 skills to hit. But the other classes got skills too. So basically it's just all overwhelming and it all evens out anyways so you're frantically hitting buttons with no real idea how it will affect the underlying statistics.

There used to be 31 point talents. You could jigger out new builds using talent calculators.

Now, you pick from three abilities at certain tiers.

The game is more a beat-em-up game now than it is an RPG. A shame. I actually stopped playing 3 days into the trial and couldn't get myself to go back in the game. A first for me, and a last.

[Add comment]
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 15 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 19, 2012 5:21:53 PM PST
SandyK says:
The MoP starter areas are deader than a door knob three months into Cata.

Either the levelers are being held down by gankers; or players are to busy grinding reps to level their other toons.

6hrs in Panda land and questing -- only saw 8 players. I would see that many just flying to Molten Front. Might as well play Skyrim at this point.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 7:13:13 AM PST
totally dude says:
it does appear that cross-realm zones have solved the population issues I mentioned for earlier parts, which I didn't realize when writing this review (only played my 85 druid).

Posted on Nov 30, 2012 10:40:39 PM PST
You're druid has 16 million health? damn man i was so happy with your review then I read that and began questioning everything else you wrote

Posted on Dec 2, 2012 7:18:51 PM PST
Travis says:
I find it difficult to read this review and take it as a genuine experience and/or opinion.
Especially after glancing over the other reviews made by this account.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 10, 2012 12:53:48 AM PST
SandyK says:
CRZ in MoP areas doesn't exist...yet. Blizzard has kept MoP free of CRZ (only good point in MoP).

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2013 4:38:38 PM PST
john says:

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 15, 2013 11:16:18 PM PST
you realize you may not be on a highly populated server. i started a new toon and had 8-10 other people running around doing the same thing.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 7:08:23 AM PST
SandyK says:
My server is medium/high and it's population is ripe with levelers (I have 3 accounts, and like 20 toons there alone). It doesn't raid well, but folks there are for leveling and socializing.

Comparing it to WotLK and Cata leveling areas, it's very dead. Mount Hyjal was busy with all the levelers and faction grinds before CRZ (/who could have at least 20 in the zone). In MoP if you have 8 in a /who it's prime time.

Posted on Sep 19, 2013 3:08:38 AM PDT
Jon says:
Yep, I think there's a real problem with the model of "tack new levels onto increasingly-old content." It's like building a tower on a rotting foundation.

The only way to keep the magic is to give people a new world to explore. But it's gotten to the point where the developers themselves seem to have contempt for the leveling process. The players certainly do.

And there is no longer an RPG here. You're not a unique hero in a fantastic world. You're an unnamed adventurer with a constantly grinding ilevel. There's no personal or class quests, everyone gets more or less the same loot, and the only thing distinguishing you from everyone else is whatever transmog you use.

WoW really needs an expansion that's more like a sequel. I mean, they claimed that's what Cata was supposed to be, but the changes just weren't enough to reinvent the World of Warcraft. That's what's needed - a major overhaul.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 26, 2013 11:26:58 AM PDT
SandyK says:
The game is turning out to be a MOBA. Spells removed to the point we'll have but 10 so it can be keybound to a 10 button mouse.

Having played pen and paper AD&D, then video versions of it, it's always been about character development for me. Be it a crafty bio, to raising the stats so my hero actually grows into THE hero of the game. The MMO side is "meh" as I really didn't buy WoW for the MMO, as much for a constantly updated game. I'm happy to play a RPG online with friends and family, I really have less interest in needing a game to "socialize" (and especially if too many think socialization is verbal vomit in groups).

That is gone now, and essentially replaced by CoD: World of Warcraft.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›