5.0 out of 5 stars Xooming right along..., March 28, 2011
This review is from: MOTOROLA XOOM Android Tablet (10.1-Inch, 32GB, Wi-Fi) (Personal Computers)
Picked up the WiFi only version on Sunday. Went with WiFi only because I already have a DroidX and can use it as a WiFi hot spot cheaper than going with the 3G plan for the Xoom. I played with this and the iPad 2 side by side prior to deciding. iPad does somethings better and faster (switching screen orientation) and the Xoom does somethings better and faster. The advantage with the Xoom is having 2x the amount of RAM built in. So things like Google Maps keeps up better on the Xoom. I really like the browser on the Xoom better too, but that, like most of the rest of this, is personal preference.

The good:

- quality build
- great flexibility
- great camera's front and rear
- fully loaded WiFi only version (still has the GPS, gyro and even a barometer)
- Great graphics, nice display
- Not required to use iTunes to set it up and use it

The not so good:

- Screen is a fingerprint magnet, worse I have ever had.
- Not as easy to use out of the box as the iPad
- Not many aps for it yet

At the end of the day, if you use an iPhone and like it, you will like the iPad 2 better. If you use a good Android phone today and like it, you will like the Xoom much better. I spent Friday night and Saturday helping a friend set up their iPhone and the frustration over the lack of flexibility ultimately made my mind up for me. Once you get used to the flexibility you have with Android, you will get frustrated quickly with iOS.

Anyway, that is my opinion after using the Xoom for 1 full day...lol.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 5 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 15 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 29, 2011 6:15:13 AM PDT
Being neither a Iphone, Android or Ipad user which tablet is better....Xoom (looking at wifi only) or Ipad 2.
I'm leaning towards the Xoom, since I don't care for the restrictions that S. Jobs has in this market.
Lisa from Massachusetts

Posted on Mar 29, 2011 8:53:58 AM PDT
Gin says:
Lisa,

There is no which one is better. It's like a Mac or PC, you're just going to have to see which interface you like better, and which one offers more for you personally. (Keep in mind the android market is just now really starting to grow, Ipod's line has had more time to mature in this field. However, most popular programs on the Ipad, are on the Android.)

Make sure that if you do decide on Android, that you don't buy a cheap chinese tablet or an archos... Otherwise you'll just think android is a pos.

Posted on Mar 29, 2011 12:48:55 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Mar 29, 2011 1:26:55 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 29, 2011 2:53:01 PM PDT
D. Garrett says:
That is one of the reasons I went with the Xoom. You have more flexibility to control how it looks, performance is as good or better and, all things considered, it is cheaper. (Same price as the Wifi only iPad 2, but you get the GPS receiver, 2x the RAM, and a SD card slot for expansion). If you are not a fan of iOS, the Xoom offers a very good alternative.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 29, 2011 7:43:31 PM PDT
C. Miemban says:
xoom (ipad 2 owner too)
Ipad 2 is good but you need to jailbreak to get those fanboys love application but out of the box, you need to buy almost every good applications and it doesn't have notification like honeycomb, so you neeepd to get out from what you are doing before you will see other applications you have I called it half ass multi tasking.
If you can wait a bit, samsung galaxy tab 8.9 or 10.1 are sexy honeycomb tablet.
Thanks and God bless you...

Posted on Apr 9, 2011 10:26:41 PM PDT
K. Pierre says:
I just bought the WiFi only version and when I opened the box it had a little piece of paper in it that said that this version does not work with the phone WiFi hot spot. Have you tried it and does it actually work? I don't have a phone that can be a hot spot so I can't try it out for myself. I'd like to know if you had the same piece of paper in your box? Thanks!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 10, 2011 8:54:51 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 10, 2011 8:56:58 AM PDT
C. Miemban says:
Yes, it can connect to any hotspot (phone or mifi)
Your in safe side...
God bless

Posted on Apr 22, 2011 3:17:26 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 22, 2011 3:19:02 PM PDT
jack says:
Competetion is good. I almost buy one. But before I buy, I tried it at store. I connected to the Internet, and naturally I used my two fingers to enlarge the content in browser just like what I did in ipad. Surprisingly, nothing happened. I read books a lot so this feature is very important to me. Did I miss something? Anyone tell me how to enlarge/shrink text by two fingers? Thanks!

Posted on May 4, 2011 11:29:20 AM PDT
C. Wilsted says:
The last statement of the 2nd to last paragraph is golden. with iProducts, what you see is what you get...deal with it. Their lack of flexibility even when jail-broken is incredibly obnoxious and unneccesary.

Posted on Sep 4, 2011 6:56:04 AM PDT
Im stationed over in Iraq at the moment so I cant go to a store and try out Tablets to figure out which is better. I want to get one for the Wife's birthday,, Shes an Android cell phone owner, so Im assuming the Xoom would be better... How ever my question remains with the apps, Im hearing you must pay for most of the Ipad apps that are not already down loaded,, are the aps for Xoom just like normal android apps, some charge you to down load, and others are free?
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.1 out of 5 stars (895 customer reviews)

$499.00 $269.00