3.0 out of 5 stars When a Perfect Marriage Turns Sour, June 6, 2012
This review is from: Gone Girl (Hardcover)
A beautiful woman is snared by a young man who can't believe his good fortune. She is well off and adores him. What can be better? Both are writers living in New York but they lose their jobs. In addition, the woman's parents become financially bereft and ask their daughter to borrow her money. Poor, they use the last of her money to buy a bar in his hometown which is run by her husband and his twin sister.

Amy Elliott Dunne has another side to her personality that Nick Dunne is about to discover as the ideal marriage that he thought he had begins to fall apart. When Amy disappears Nick is believed to be the cause of her disappearance.

Did he murder his beloved wife? Nick knows he didn't but all signs point to that conclusion. The police believe he is responsible for her absence. Her parents, who stand by him in the beginning, arrive at the same belief. The public and the media are likewise convinced. He wonders if even his twin sister believes it as well. Before the reader discovers the truth, the reader becomes wrapped up in endless detail.

This is a thriller that does keep one turning the pages but it roars to a pallid conclusion. I liked it but thought that someone should have spent more time editing as details are presented again and again. I know many others will like this read but I was disappointed.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 17 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 239 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 21, 2012 5:55:42 AM PDT
I should have read this BEFORE I bought the book. It had a very bad ending. That's not what I like in a book!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 24, 2012 12:28:59 PM PDT
I totally agree - the ending was really unsatisfying and made me sorry I read the book

Posted on Jun 26, 2012 5:55:09 AM PDT
Lisa says:
I feel the same way - the ending and last 1/4 of the book was so disappointing after an exciting and captivating beginning. It left me very frustrated and annoyed and I regret investing my time in such a horrible ending.

Posted on Jun 30, 2012 7:58:12 PM PDT
Bad ending. Like she was tired of the characters and just wanted to end it. Poor readers who rooted for certain characters were left rudely, abuptly with an unsatisfying ending. I would not have purchased the book had I known what I know now.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 3, 2012 9:01:15 PM PDT
A. M. Kelly says:
I'm only half way through and disappointed...I loved it at first, then found it contrived, unbelievable and unlikable.

Posted on Jul 8, 2012 11:45:50 AM PDT
K. Walz says:
I completely agree. Question (and spoiler alert): Why did nobody check where Desi was on July 5? That made me nuts and completely ruined the story for me. All the attention to detail, and that ball was dropped.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 11, 2012 9:59:46 AM PDT
P. Solinger says:
I was thinking the same thing. Hello? Alibi?

I thought this book was roaring to be five stars until the conclusion. Sadly that dropped it a star or two in my opinion.

Posted on Jul 11, 2012 6:19:16 PM PDT
loved, loved, loved this book. Until the end when I was super disappointed. I am now going to read "Dark Places" and hope the ending does not disappoint me again.

Posted on Jul 11, 2012 6:31:57 PM PDT
I was very disappointed in the way this book ended. Not worth reading any more form this author.

Posted on Jul 11, 2012 6:34:23 PM PDT
VSTrip says:
The ending absolutely makes or breaks a book for me - and this ending was disappointing, unsatisfactory and - even stronger than that - it sucked. I actually enjoyed the book up until the end - i am a perfect audience - gullible, trusting, and involved. I thought the story was strong, I thought the twist and turn in the middle was such a cool surprise - and I was already casting the movie. After reading the ending - I'm not so sure.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 24 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.8 out of 5 stars (22,747 customer reviews)
 (8,913)