5.0 out of 5 stars best receiver for the price!!!, August 25, 2011
This review is from: Onkyo TX-NR709 7.2-Channel Network A/V Receiver (Black) (Discontinued by Manufacturer) (Electronics)
It's hard to keep reviews like this short, because there are SO many features on this thing. I'll go over some of the things that stand out to me.

The internet radio is one of our favorite functions, you can even browse THOUSANDS of internet radio stations and it's seemlessly intergrated in the receiver. We began listening to a radio station in Hong Kong! Pandora sounds great, so does last FM. The music title/artist displays on the receiver's screen while the song is playing... WOW.

DLNA intergration: Ive used the unit to stream music to the receiver and it works well. My windows 7 PC is setup with Tversity (google it) and it found all my files right away. There is a slight lag browsing the files, but the sound is good regardless.

Sound.. well, Im not going to say it sounds better than (insert receiver name in here), HOWEVER, it is up to par...no distortion, nothing that makes it sound bad, only goodness from this thing. I don't claim to have golden ears, there are just TOO many variable in sound (mostly it depends on the SPEAKERS) you have.

Audyssey's MULTIEQ XT is the BIGGEST reason why I chose this receiver, for the price/performance... it cannot beat! If it's one thing that affects your sound quality, is the quality of your analyzer (Audyssey, yamaha's YPAO, pioneer's MCACC). If you look at the audio/video forums, this is a feature that is high sought after. This one is better than the Audyssey 2EQ system because it has better crossover control. Here is the quote from audyssey's website:

"MultEQ has twice the resolution of 2EQ (that was designed to fit within the constraints of smaller processing chips). So, MultEQ will do a much better job correcting the low frequencies of the main speakers. MultEQ XT will do an even better job as it has 8 times higher resolution than MultEQ. You can see the full comparison here: "

Video performance is flawless... perfect 1080p upscaling

It takes about a second to switch inputs, slight lag, but I can live with that. I even set up the HDMI return channel, so we can use the built in Netflix tha the TV has, to automatically "return" the audio signal back via the HDMI input to the TV so that you dont have to have an extra output cable. Nifty.

The unit gets moderately hot, not as hot as my previous onkyo units but not as cool as my pioneers either. Somewhere in between.

There is bi-amp capability, if you want that. I use it, and it's be perfect so far.

BTW: I was previously debating between the Pioneer 1021k because it has 1.) airplay and 2.) they have a nifty ipad/ipod/iphone app. However, what pushed me over was that 1.) airplay does not support video, which I would have just use Apple TV 2 instead, which in the future should be able to do screen mirroring for the ipad :) 2.) As for the app, if u read the reviews, it's just "cool" but not very useful. In contrast, there is an app for Onkyo receivers as well that's on sale at the app store (at the time of writing ) $5. I played with it, but honestly, i'm not going to use my ipad as a remote. Cool, but not practical for me.

All in all, this is excellent receiver for the price. I would also heavily consider the Onkyo RC-370 as it's the same thing as the 709 without an extra output and one less input, and slightly less power. However the 709 most definitely has a "cleaner" exterior look. The 370 has logos all over the face of the unit that's printed on.

As of today 8/25/2011.. ive had the receiver for about a month now it's been working without a hitch.

I also how onkyo updates their receivers as well, they don't just leave their customers hanging. Here are the latest firmware updates from onkyo.. Another reason why I end up choosing Onkyo

As of 8 August 2011

* Adds support for AUPEO! Personal Radio, Internet Music Service;
* Enhances operability with the Remote App for Android.
As of 15 July 2011

* Improves picture output of 1080p/24 sources.
As of 14 June 2011

* Improves audio/video output in HDMI Through mode;
* Stabilizes configuration of static IP address in network settings;
* Improves connectivity of UWF-1 wireless LAN adapter (Supports wireless LAN access points with SSIDs that contain non-alphanumeric characters);
* Reduces noise during audio playback from iPod/iPhone via USB port.
As of 26 April 2011

* Enhances video output when Monitor Out setting is set to "Both";
* Improves update functionality;
* Supports manual setting of hexadecimal WEP keys for UWF-1.
Please input the WEP key again after updating firmware.

If you're deciding between the 609 and 809... I didn't get the 609 because I really wanted MultiEQ XT. I didn't get the 809 because it's substantially more money for extra power output (unlikely will make a difference for most people) and the supposedly more powerful video processor. So the 709 hit the spot for me.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 5, 2011 3:34:25 AM PDT
The Listener says:
Thanks for the review. I am debating btw the 709 and the 370 (leaning more toward the 370). I just wanted to note that the 370 has THX as noted on both Amazon and Onkyo's website so the major difference is more so the input/output and wattage. Oh...and I think they have added Spotify to their networking.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 5, 2011 3:44:06 AM PDT
J. Lau says:
thanks, i fixed it to avoid confusion!

Posted on Oct 24, 2011 3:35:18 PM PDT
Another reason for the 709 over the 609 is the lack of 7.2 "front-wide" configuration support in the 609 and present in the 709.
So if your home theater has wides instead of highs, the 609 will NOT support them.

Posted on Dec 25, 2011 8:36:21 PM PST
Hello everyone!

I am a "newbie" here, and if you are making a "gaffe", please let me know! Rs ...

Well, I am also "audiophile" qu as I believe most are here, and you would like the opinion of "experts"!

I'm putting together a NEW HOME THEATER, where I listen to mucic (CD, iPOD, VINL (!!!)), 50% of the time. My room (where is the home theater and the projector is about 30 m2).

I am in doubt, as the following! (WHAT IS THE BEST SET)

1 -
Velodyne DEQ-10R
Blackstone TL350 Polk Audio 5-Piece Speaker System Satellite

2 -
Paradigm Cinema 110 CT 5.1 Home Theater Surround Sound System

3 -
Velodyne DEQ-10R
EMP Tek E5BiB 4 Bookshelf Speakers (FRONT AND SURROUND)
EMP Tek E5CiB 1 (CENTRAL)

4 -
With:
Klipsch SW 310 (SUB WOOFER)

5 -
With:
Klipsch SW 311 (SUB WOOFER)

6 -
With:
Velodyne DEQ-10R (sub woofer)
Klipsch RC 52 II (CENTRAL)
Klipsch RS-42 II (surround)

7 -
With:
Klipsch RW-12D (SUB WOOFER)

8 -
With:
Klipsch RW-12D (SUB WOOFER)
Klipsch RB-81 II (2 in front)
Klipsch RC 62 II (CENTRAL)
Klipsch RS-52 II (2 SURROUND)

9 -
With:
Klipsch SW 311 (SUB WOOFER)
Klipsch RB-81 II (2 in front)
Klipsch RC 62 II (CENTRAL)
Klipsch RS-52 II (2 SURROUND)

Can anyone ("EXPERT") help me?

From now on, thank you for your attention and good will to all!

Jairo