1.0 out of 5 stars Now I have to do 1040X, buggy software, January 26, 2011
This review is from: H&R Block At Home 2010 Deluxe Federal + State + eFile [Download] [OLD VERSION] (Software Download)
I have been using H&R block for last 2 years. Installs easily, gets the data from previous year return easily, rest is all easy to fill.

I have deducted one star for not having efile facility for state return. As you can see the title says that "deluxe federal state efile" but when you try to efile state, it will ask you 20 bucks for efile. I feel cheated when I saw that. I just printed the state return, manually filled info on state tax website, and "efiled". They should clarify that efile for state is not free.

Update 4/4/11
I efiled my return on 1/25/11, which was accepted by IRS on 2/16/11. However, I accidently deleted my saved T10 file, so I put in the same numbers again in the software to make a copy for next year. HERE comes the surprise. My original return put business deduction in itemized deduction instead of 2106 EZ, so I paid 268 dollars extra.
I had to compare page by page myself, H&Rblock helpdesk was useless. After wasting 2 hours over phone, they gave me a "free" code for ATA(Ask a tax question), who told me to file 1040x.
I called IRS helpline, and they were most helpful without asking any money.
I will never trust H&R block again.
Stay away from them.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 26, 2011 4:21:43 PM PST
K. Hornick says:
The e-file free is for federal only. The "state" part means that you can download a state tax forms for free; otherwise, you would be paying for it (usually around $20-$34 depending on the program). This is separate from the charge to e-file your state form (which is another $20). So, instead of having to pay for downloading the state filing forms, you get it free with this program. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 29, 2011 8:06:01 PM PST
You can download 1 state for free, if you need more than 1 (which is probably a minority of those who buy this program every year) then you pay for additional states either by buying extra CD copies of state only or downloading them.

Posted on Feb 4, 2011 4:38:08 PM PST
zn says:
I agree with dr on the deceptive advertising. With the various choices available to users I assumed when it said both Fed and state and efile-"At Home 2010 Deluxe Federal + State + eFile"------it meant efile for both at that fee. No indication at all from the title that the free efile was linked to the Fed only-But not until you are set to send off the state do you get that notice. Also like dr I just printed out my state and will mail it in.

Posted on Feb 19, 2011 5:00:34 AM PST
Thanks for the feedback. I think NC (state I live in) now has an online filing (for the first time).... maybe.... my concern is the USPS losing my return or not getting it in before our lovely state runs out of money like last year!!!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›