5.0 out of 5 stars This is a good, quiet clock!, April 10, 2011
This review is from: Seiko Wall Clock Silver-Tone Metallic Case Luminous Numerals (Watch)
Why is it that all over the web it's hard to be sure if you're getting a quiet clock without a lot of research? Even then you don't really know what you have until you get it. I wish there was a universal description for quiet clocks, as in "quiet sweep action" or "very faint tick" or "standard loud tick".

Plus some reviewers aren't helpful because some don't know they're half deaf! Because of what I've done for a living (recording engineer who doesn't use really loud speakers), my hearing and sense of detail is reliable. I can hear a wristwatch alarm in a room almost to the opposite end of the house from where I am. I say all this as I really can't stand listening to "tick tock" while I'm focusing on work, I find it irritatingly distracting.

I needed something for the kitchen with a design that was reasonably appropriate. Sometimes I have to use the kitchen table as a workspace.

This has a silvery bezel, black face and the hands and numerals are very light green, as they are luminescent. But you won't likely be using that feature, as they don't glow very much at all after being exposed to typical kitchen lights. But I didn't get it for that.

The good news is that you can't hear it tick until you put it within a foot of your head, and even at 3 inches from your ear, it's quieter than a typical loud clock at 30 feet. So this is a winner for me. Size is about 11.5 inches, give or take a quarter inch. The outer portion of the bezel is offset from the rear by about 1.5 to 2 inches, which is to say the bezel is not flush with the wall. Worked out great for me as mine overlaps the top of a door sill perfectly, so I didn't have to move the nail that was there previously.

I highly recommend this clock as one suitable for average space, though not for an "elegant space", but it still looks better than a clock from a school wall! Very visible, very quiet.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 10 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 10, 2011 6:36:19 PM PDT
T. Remble says:
Thank you for your review. You answered all my questions especially about the noise level.

Posted on Oct 5, 2012 1:23:00 PM PDT
JofT says:
Couldn't find quiet clock on the web. Looked all over.
Went to Wallgreens today and lo and behold there it was. A Brooke & Co. wall clock that said in bold letters "Quiet ClocK". I bought it for $20.
I Decided to find Brooke & Co. on web. Not there. Go figure.

Posted on Aug 22, 2013 4:48:36 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 22, 2013 4:50:42 PM PDT
Hmm. Bought this after reading that it is a quiet clock. Found it to be not any quieter than most wall clocks. I can hear it tick in the quiet of the night from anywhere in the bedroom.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 23, 2013 4:10:36 PM PDT
Buzzsaw says:
I'm sorry you didn't find it quiet enough. It's just that I found it much quieter than others I encountered, especially for a movement that moves a second at a time instead of continuously, which seems very hard to find, except for very expensive ones. I suppose in the dead of night fairly close by you might hear it. But while I'm at the kitchen table doing work, it's not offensive to me at a distance of about 10 feet. Other clocks really distracted me.

Posted on Jan 27, 2014 2:15:30 PM PST
I'd have to agree with the other person that calling this a "quiet clock" isn't really true. I agree that there are noisier clocks out there, but it is currently sitting near me as type and I can still hear it tick tick tick. Birds chirping and lots of other ambient noise and there it is tick tick tick.

If this is as quiet as a one second per movement clock gets, then the reality is there isn't a "quiet" clock unless you get a sweep second hand (I'd actually prefer no second hand).

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 27, 2014 6:31:23 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 27, 2014 6:33:20 PM PST
Buzzsaw says:
I'll stick with what I said originally. I think this is likely the quietest clock you'll get in its price range. I didn't want to pay a lot more for a sweep hand.

Posted on May 31, 2014 9:59:56 PM PDT
Could you check whether it will glow in the dark all night if you use the right battery? I want a clock that will be visible 12 hours after lights out so my kids know whether it is time to wake up or not.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 1, 2014 12:34:26 AM PDT
Buzzsaw says:
This does not have backlit numbers. They are just luminescent. Only exotic technology will give a bright glow after exposure to light, and this clock is just typical low end tech, meaning after exposure to typical room lights, the numbers will not be very bright at all, and after a time, won't be seen in the dark. You'll need to find a clock with backlit numbers. This will not fulfill your needs.

Posted on Jul 18, 2014 12:17:56 PM PDT
I just received mine and I can hear it tick from across the room when the second hand passes the Four until it reaches the Ten then it is almost silient until it reaches the Four again.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 18, 2014 1:17:32 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 18, 2014 1:24:54 PM PDT
Buzzsaw says:
Wow, that's weird, mine doesn't do that.

And to reiterate what I likely said earlier about loudness, in this price range I don't think you'll do better. I'm not deaf, either, as I have to be careful as I have done mix engineer work. I can hear a wrist band alarm from opposite sides of a 60 foot house. If anyone REALLY wants a totally silent clock, get a sweep hand and spend extra money to do that.

However, note the above post by JofT who went to Walgreen's and got a Brooke & Co. wall clock that they liked for $20. I'll remember that the next time I need a clock.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›