5.0 out of 5 stars Best streaming device for DLNA I've found, March 16, 2012
This review is from: Sony SMP-N200 Streaming Media Player with Wi-Fi (Electronics)
The Sony SMP-N200 seems to perfectly fit what I was looking for in an DLNA streaming device - easy Wifi connection with no lag in streaming, UI that is smooth and not laggy when scrolling through tons of files, something can play various formats without hiccup (Xvid, 264, etc), and it was inexpensive ($70 at time of this review) to boot! It has quite a few bonus features (over requirements at least), such as a plethora of online content such as YouTube, Hulu Plus, Netflix, etc. The most useful for me was the Amazon Prime streaming, which wasnt the selling point but is definitely a nice feature that quite a few of similar devices lack.

My main use-case for this device is to stream DLNA content from my NAS to my bedroom TV. I had no need for permanent local HDD storage, and the web-based apps were not my main reasons for buying. I used to use an old Xbox360 till it RRoD'd on me, then I purchased the WDTV Live, but the UI was sluggish, especially when scrolling through tons of files... but the main thing was it failed to stream 80% of the time till I restarted it, even tho it was able to navigate the menus fine. Maybe I had a dud unit, but I was not impressed.. anyway, I searched far and wide for something that would fit my needs perfectly, and have a few extra features as a bonus. The Sony SMP-N200 seemed to be just that, and I'm very glad I took the risk.

The UI on this device is VERY similar (I'd say nearly identical) to the PS3, so if you love/hate that interface, it could be a deciding factor. Personally I find it might be a little smoother scrolling files, but maybe not quite as fast.. so it doesnt 'hang' like the PS3 would sometimes. It has what you'd want for a streaming function, such as decent fast forward/rewind (I didnt encounter any buffering from my NAS, tho Amazon Prime videos took a sec to catch up). When you stop a video it will remember the last location, which is a very good thing (and expected these days)

The N200 also has a USB port that seems to function exactly as I'd expect - you plug it in, it appears in the list, and you can watch videos with ease (like an X360 or PS3 behave). For some reason the WDTV wanted to build up a media library before even letting me watch something off a USB stick, which was beyond annoying. Well enough about that...

The remote is small and easy to use, and I was very pleased to see that it was NOT a bluetooth remote, which meant I could code my Logitech Harmony universal to use with it - which works flawlessly by the way. So I'm a happy camper on that front as well.

A few other side notes: a firmware update applied without any issue, tho I am not sure what it really did to improve anything. The N200 has a nice option for power consumption - you can either have it use a lower power mode but slightly longer boot time when powering on, or a quick boot time that uses slightly more power when turned off. I opted to stick with the lower power/longer boot, and it comes up quick enough for my needs - I usually tend to hit the all-on button on the universal remote, and come back after a half a minute of doing other things while the TV/devices turn on anyway.

I've yet to find a single thing that I dislike about the N200 - which is rare, but my needs/wants for a product like this are perhaps more niche than most. I will update this review if I face any issues.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 14, 2012 2:37:32 PM PDT

Posted on May 14, 2012 2:38:05 PM PDT
I have one which I just bought and find it lags using Xfinity cable via wireless. It will stop 3 -4 times for a one hour netflix download show. Is this common or do I have other issues to address? has anyone compared this to the Roku 2 XS as an alternative?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 15, 2012 9:55:45 AM PDT
J. Bedoya says:
Hi Michael,

I'm not sure if anyone ever answered this, but I had a similar issue on another wireless streaming device. It was related to the MTU setting on my Linksys wireless router. By default, it was configured to automatically set the MTU. I changed it to manual and set it at 1500 (if I'm not mistaken, all Comcast networks use the same setting). That cleared the problem right up for me.

Of course, if that doesn't work, you may want to take a look at the signal strength and throughput to the device.

Kind regards,
Jorge
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.5 out of 5 stars (392 customer reviews)

Used & New from: $44.51