3.0 out of 5 stars Comprehensive, April 25, 2009
This review is from: The Juicing Bible (Paperback)
"The Juicing Bible" seems to have been written for a very specific audience. If you have a well stocked cupboard filled with spices and a garden filled with herbs then this book might be what you are looking for. After looking through the entire book I found one recipe I could actually make without searching in a health store for uncommon ingredients. The recipe I tried was the "Apple Spice Cocktail." This used ingredients I had in my refrigerator and instead of the spices recommended I just used cinnamon. So in a way I created my own recipe based on a good idea.

Some of the ingredients in this book include: lavender, powdered licorice, dandelions, powdered linden flower, borage leaves, acai berries, red raspberry leaves, stinging nettle, kelp, astragalus root, meadowsweet and apricot milk. While I've heard of these ingredients before I have no idea where to get them. The small sources section at the back of the book doesn't really give me any clues as to who carries which herbs. Most of the spices used in this book can however be found at your local grocery store.

This book is divided into 8 main sections which include:

Healthy Body Systems - A brief discussion of the endocrine system, immune system, musculoskeletal system, nervous system and respiratory system. There is a short discussion of hyperthyroidism, hypothyroidism, arthritis, osteoporosis, muscle spasms, anxiety, depression, memory loss, asthma and allergies.

Health Conditions - This is a comprehensive section organized alphabetically. It discusses things like cancer prevention, headaches, indigestion and water retention.
Each illness is discussed and remedies are given. The remedies include healing foods and herbs. Healing drinks are listed at the end of each section.

Healthy Foods - This section lists fruits and vegetables in alphabetical order. Each vegetable and fruit has a section with a description, use and buying and storing information. At the end of each section there is a list of juices you can make using the specific fruit or vegetable. For instance under cucumbers it is listed as a diuretic and is a good source of vitamin A.

Fruit and Vegetable Juices - This is the section that includes the basic fruit and vegetable juice recipes. Here you will find simple fruit and vegetable combinations. Some include:

Orange Star - Star fruits, oranges, cantaloupe and lemon

Tonics
Respiratory Juices
Cleansers
Healing Teas

Roughies and Smoothies - Here you will find recipes for applesauce, Papaya Marinade, Berry Smoothies and Tropical Cocktails.

Specialty Drinks - There are some interesting recipes in this section, for example,

Melon Cocktail
Hot Spiced Apples
Apple-Orange Punch
Lavender Punch
Indian Chai Tea
Coffee Substitutes

Frozen Treats - If you have an ice cream machine then you will love this section. Some of the interesting combinations include Strawberry-Beet Ice, Lemon Ice, Basil-Pear Sherbet, Fruit Pulp Frozen yogurt (a good way to use up fruit pulp after juicing) and Berry Pops.

To complete the book there is a glossary and a helpful index. While this book is interesting it will take a greater deal of effort to find some of the ingredients. You can of course substitute many ingredients and still have good success with the recipes. I'd recommend this to the very adventurous juicer who loves herbs and spices and is willing to plant unique plants in his/her garden. I've been to many health food stores but I've never found some of the ingredients listed in this book. So many of the recipes require advanced planning. If you want a creative book on juicing that has ingredients that are easy to find I can recommend: Ultimate Juicing: Delicious Recipes for Over 125 of the Best Fruit & Vegetable Juice Combinations and The Juice Lady's Juicing for High Level Wellness and Vibrant Good Looks.

~The Rebecca Review

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 5 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 20 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 5, 2010 2:16:28 AM PDT
Jungle Mama says:
Check the mountainroseherbs.com for the ingredients you have hard time to find. They have a huge selection of fair-trade, organic or wild harvested herbs and spices.

I am not affiliated with the company, other then being a satisfied customer for a few years... :-)

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 5, 2010 1:45:05 PM PDT
Thank you for being so helpful! Now maybe
I can make more of these juices. :)

Posted on Mar 24, 2012 8:12:58 PM PDT
Lauren says:
Thank you for the great review! Knowing that many recipes call for unusual or hard-to-find ingredients lets me know that this is probably not the book for me. I would have been terribly disappointed if I had ordered this book and then found that it was full of recipes I couldn't make because I couldn't find (or afford?) the ingredients! Will check out your other recommendations. Thank you! :)

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 25, 2012 12:04:39 AM PDT
If you have a garden you could grow a lot of the herbs. But I don't have a garden! Glad to
have been of help.

In reply to an earlier post on May 27, 2012 3:03:14 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 27, 2012 3:17:34 AM PDT
Isa says:
Hi there, I just started growing herbs in pots. If you have a patio you can use the pots that tie on the edge/railing. I have them by my front door & they give my entrance a welcoming fragrance :) hope this helps if you are looking to grow your own herbs

Posted on Aug 5, 2012 9:12:18 PM PDT
cara says:
thank you for this comment as i do not wish to have to by 50 ingredients to make half the drinks.

Posted on Jan 26, 2013 10:46:27 PM PST
intotheblues says:
Thanks for such a thorough review. I'm glad to know some of the "wild" ingredients for the recipes, I would have been bummed had I got the book and realized I couldn't yet make any juices without first hunting for those items!!

Posted on Feb 20, 2013 8:51:58 AM PST
I wish I would have found your review before buying this book. I live in a small town and I know there is no way I am going to be able to find some of the ingredients called for. :(

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 25, 2013 5:57:44 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 8, 2013 10:09:28 PM PST
Sorry about that. But maybe you can find some ingredients here at amazon?

Posted on Mar 8, 2013 3:05:48 PM PST
tanner1 says:
I really appreciate your thoughtful review. I hate recipes that call for ingredients I've never heard of or know where to find. Thank you.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.4 out of 5 stars (533 customer reviews)

$24.95 $16.69