5.0 out of 5 stars Non-expert review (just being honest with you!), April 30, 2011
This review is from: VIZIO E3D420VX 42 Inch Class Theater 3D LCD HDTV with VIZIO Internet Apps (2011 Model) (Electronics)
I have to tell you that I'm not an audio/visual expert. I wear glasses (if that makes any difference) and am prone to headaches (which is relevant to 3D material).

So far I only have 3 3D Blu Ray movies (Tangled, Tron Legacy, and Piranha) and have only rented one other (Bolt) so my expertise on this TV is fairly limited. With that said, I've over-all been extremely pleased with the 3D output of this TV. Keep in mind, this TV doesn't require active-shutter glasses (and I'm not even sure if those kinds of glasses will even work with it). It uses basically the same glasses that you get from seeing a movie in "Real-D" at the theater--hence the name of this "Theater 3D" TV. In fact, I saved a couple pairs of the 3D glasses I got from seeing 3D movies in the theater and they work with this TV as well--which is nice, because I can have friends over to watch the 3D movies without having to shell out a ton of cash just for the glasses.

Be warned though, the 3D experience won't necessarily always be good--that depends on the source material, not on the TV itself. For instance, the 3D of Piranha, and the 3D from Time Warner On Demand, made me feel kind of woozy. Time Warner uses (at least on the free 3D shows it has available, that I've watched) the top/bottom 3D approach and that makes me feel horrible. Hopefully that gets phased out and only the side/side approach gets used. Piranha looked decent at times but I'm afraid it uses the t/b approach and it made me feel crummy too.

Still, with the right source material--like Tangled and Tron Legacy, as well as Bolt and I'm sure many others--the 3D can and does look stunning. It may not be "Full HD" (based on other reviews I've read) but I can't really tell. Sitting 8 feet back, the 3D looks like Full HD to me and the 3D looks awesome. In fact, my dad--who hates seeing 3D movies because it always makes him feel sick, and who says 3D looks poor anyway--was actually very into Tangled 3D at home. He said, with a bit of surprise and even a little smile, "it actually looks a lot better than in the theater."

The video quality... I shouldn't really have to say it, but it's great. One of the first things I watched when I got this thing home last weekend was an NBA game and it was SO much better on this TV than my previous (a 32" Samsung 720p). I nearly felt like I was at the court. It could be clearer, and I still noticed some "blocks" (don't know the technical terms) when there was a lot of fast action, but those moments were few and far between. I only noticed them when I got up close and wanted to see them. Sitting back, you couldn't tell.

Besides the 3D, there are other things that make this TV well worth it. First is the Vizio Internet Apps aka VIA. I love having Netflix, Hulu and Amazon VOD right on my TV, without having to switch to another component. You have the VIA button--as well as Netflix, Vudu and Amazon VOD buttons--right on the double-sided remote control. Besides those video services, you can also download Vizio apps such as NBA Game Time (which hopefully, next year, will have League Pass), Showtime, weather, eBay, Facebook, Pandora, a lot of different local news apps, games, Twitter, etc. They all seem to work well, although the Netflix app would be better off if updated (to resemble the current PS3 Netflix app).

Second is the remote control which, although not perfect by a long shot, is really cool. For one it's fairly small and thus easy to use. One major plus is, as I mentioned before, the back side which sports a QWERTY keyboard. Unfortunately (maybe) the buttons are not extremely easy to use. I expect the typical buttons to require a bit of force--to prevent hitting buttons that you didn't mean to--but the whole point of a QWERTY is to be able to type faster. Well, the fact that you have to really push the buttons slows you down. Of course the problem here is that if they were easier to push, you'd be pushing them all the time while gripping the remote. Maybe Vizio could redo the remote to have a slide or flip cover for the back?

Anyhow, I love the TV and have no regrets buying it. The only problem I have is not having under-$100 access to some of the more popular 3D movies. Bugger.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 1, 2011 12:21:22 AM PDT
J. Mennella says:
For Piranah 3d, were you using the 3D blu ray or watching it top bottom online/time warner? I ask because I ordered this TV as well and already have the 3d version of Piranah.

In reply to an earlier post on May 1, 2011 7:58:07 AM PDT
I have the Piranha 3D Blu-Ray. It wasn't terrible... a lot of it looked really good, but certain parts made me feel uncomfortable. I think part of it though is that it's letterboxed--3D will definitely feel more comfortable if the picture is 16:9, such as in Tangled. And part of the wooziness is just from the gore :)

I don't know if the Piranha 3D BD is top/bottom or not--I don't really know how that works. Basically, each 3D BD I've put in, a message automatically pops up on the TV saying something like "Would you like to switch to 3D mode?". You click Yes and it goes to 3D mode; it doesn't say "switch to T/B" or "switch to Side/Side 3D".

When you manually go into 3D mode, it gives you the option of T/B, S/S, or Sensio (which I think is the company who did the 3D for Vizio). For instance, I have NBA 2K11 and that has 3D. I switched to Sensio 3D and it worked fine. On that game, you can actually change how deep the 3D effects are, or how much depth you want to see, etc.

Anyway, I haven't actually rented a 3D movie from Time Warner yet. I might, because they have Megamind, Alpha & Omega, both of which I'd like to see in 3D. The problem with TW is that you can't preview the content in 3D. When you click "Preview", it just gives you a 2D preview (actually the preview for Despicable Me 3D was in Cyan/Red 3D) which kinda stinks. Vudu has maybe 10 3D rentals though; I saw Bolt 3D on Vudu and it looked great. I watched the free preview of Drive Angry though, and that one was T/B and it made me feel a little uncomfortable. The free preview for Resident Evil 3D looked amazing though and it was S/S. As for where the problem lies... I doubt it was the TV, I have a feeling it's the 3D process used, and the implementation (T/B or S/S) I think definitely has an effect.

In reply to an earlier post on May 1, 2011 1:41:32 PM PDT
J. Mennella says:
Sounds good, I just bought Piranha and am waiting for my vizio to be delivered. Resident Evil 3d, while not the greatest movie, I highly recommend it for the 3d alone. And for Time Warner 3d, I have not really been hearing any good things about it, and from what I can tell it seems like everything is top/bottom. The only thing I have seen side by side was Call of Duty black Ops, it looked good but something seemed off. But if you get a chance you should check out Despicable Me and Resident Evil for sure!

Posted on May 1, 2011 8:16:44 PM PDT
Question.....On Vudu I watched the Tangled and Tron 3D demos and the screen is side by side(two identical screens). Is it supposed to be like that the whole movie? At least the headaches are gone from the over under movies on comcast but I'm not getting a 3D effect. thanks

In reply to an earlier post on May 1, 2011 10:10:29 PM PDT
J. Mennella says:
Change the the 3d format on the TV to Side By Side and the two screens will become one 3d screen.

In reply to an earlier post on May 30, 2011 1:25:02 PM PDT
Yeah, you have to hit the following on the remote: hit Menu, click on the "3D" selection box, then click "side/side" to view in 3D.

I checked out Despicable Me on TW and hated it. Not paying that much again for a TW 3D, and recommend others to avoid TW 3D as well.

What stinks though... I watched Tangled 3D a couple times and it was perfect; last time I watched it I noticed some crosstalk--might just be my eyes being so dry though. Playing NBA 2K11 in 3D now and don't notice any.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›