Best Books of the Month Shop Costumes Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Introducing Handmade New Kitchen Scale from AmazonBasics Amazon Gift Card Offer gdwf gdwf gdwf  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage  McCartney Shop Now Retro Toys Deal

5.0 out of 5 stars Here's Looking at Blu, Kid, February 4, 2010
This review is from: Casablanca [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
Perhaps not in all of cinema's history has there been a movie with such brilliant writing, scoring, acting, and numbers of emotional close ups.

Casablanca is a legend of nearly 70 years, but thanks to Blu Ray technology it doesn't have to feel that way. Watching this classic in 1080p is truly an experience, and I have to praise Warner for providing us with the absolutely best possible transfer this film has ever seen. There's not a trace of grain or flicker or anything you'd expect from a film this old, and the result is stunning. If you've seen the movie before, it's time to relive with this remarkable new technology. If you've somehow missed it on TCM, get cultured and experience one of the greatest films in our history in a way no generation has ever been able to do. Blu Ray. It not only improves the viewing experience, but it invites the viewer right into the moment. With clarity as perfect as this, you forget you're even watching a film and instead feel as though you've tapped into the memories of the characters portrayed.

I don't feel the need to mention the movie's plot, as most I'm guessing have either already seen it before or can find that out elsewhere, so I want to end this review with what you are probably most wondering about anyway. Is the Blu Ray transfer worth buying this for? If I haven't made it clear enough already, YES. I've seen some poor Blu Rays transfers, but this is not one of them. In fact, I'd go so far as to say it's one of the best I've seen. The extras, though I haven't experienced them yet, look interesting, including an audio commentary by movie critic Roger Ebert. All in all I'd say that this release is definitely worth getting even if Casablanca isn't your favorite movie of all time. It is a classic, and it is an experience, and with Blu Ray it's better than ever before.

[Add comment]
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 11 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 5, 2010 1:17:04 PM PST
Dutchdummy says:
I gave your review 5 stars for the title alone. Thanks for the laugh!

Posted on Feb 14, 2010 7:25:05 PM PST
JBGood says:
Can you comment on the PQ with respect to the faces. For example, does Ingrid Bergman's face exhibit texture as it should in 1080p or does it look just a little pasty like most older films in Blu-ray ? I'd like to know before I buy the BD; and I know I'll buy it anyway.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 14, 2010 10:03:34 PM PST
Tyson says:
Hmm, she looks pretty textured to me, considering the film is black and white and she's no doubt wearing pounds of make up. I recently watched the Wizard of Oz on Blu Ray and I'd say Judy Garland looked more textured than Ingrid, but that's probably because she was in color.

I don't know if I'm able to answer your question completely because I'm not quite techie enough to know exactly, but even if it is missing some kind of extreme detail, the perfect clarity and sharpness of the movie as a whole is well worth the upgrade from dvd (in my opinion).

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 15, 2010 5:30:39 AM PST
JBGood says:
I forgot about the makeup; there goes the clarity. But I know the BD will be better than what was shown on cable last nite.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 17, 2010 11:49:31 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 17, 2010 11:52:02 AM PST
Macfan 424 says:
It wasn't just makeup or the age of the film; it was common practice in those days to smooth out the star's face. One trick was to smear Vaseline on the lens for closeups. You won't see many pores or wrinkles on old movies, even if you could look at the original print.

Posted on Mar 3, 2010 2:10:03 PM PST
DesiluTrek says:
Thanks for the word that they ported over the Roger Ebert commentary from the DVD release!

Posted on May 20, 2010 9:49:15 PM PDT
How about the sound quality; did they put any 5.1 surround sound options on this baby?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2010 10:02:56 PM PST
SV says:
Just like the original print, the Blu-Ray is in mono. It's been cleaned up beautifully, with no pops or static anywhere, clear voice and music (even through the Marseillaise), but it's a simple monaural dolby digital track (@192kbps).

Posted on Mar 13, 2012 6:50:16 PM PDT
Casablanca is one of my most favorite pictures. I watch it several times a year. I own it in DVD and rented the Blu-ray issue to compare picture quality. First of all, the quality of the DVD is excellent. But it was a surprise to find that the Blu-ray rental disc was no more than 10% better in picture clarity, if that. The new upcoming March 2012 Blu-ray release, supposedly made from a restored digital print transfer, ought to be the ultimate version.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 14, 2012 7:53:27 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 14, 2012 7:55:07 AM PDT
JBGood says:
It always bothers me when they come out with an improved or remastered blu-ray version after buying a new BD.

The latest restoration was shown recently at the Smithsonian's National Museum of American History in Washington, D.C. as reported in the NY Post. This should be the version coming out on BD on March 27. describes it as a 4k feature transfer on Blu-ray. It will be interesting to see if buyers are paying for more than 70th-Anniversary-Edition hype packaging.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›