Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it The Jayhawks Tile Wearable Technology Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Gifts for Mom to look and feel great Mother's Day Gifts Shop now Amazon Gift Card Offer starwars starwars starwars  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando Shop Now May4th

4.0 out of 5 stars note canon's website error, plus update, October 12, 2011
This review is from: Canon PIXMA MG6220 Wireless Inkjet Photo All-in-One Printer (5292B002) (Office Product)
Prospective buyers: Note that the dimensions of this printer are incorrect as listed on the Canon website, and these errors get reproduced on other sites. The Canon site seems to have reversed the width and depth. The width of this printer is actually about 18.5 inches, not 15.6 inches, and the depth front-to-back is about 15 inches, not 18.5 inches. This was important for my desk space, and it may help others.

UPDATE: after using this for several weeks, I can state it is an excellent printer in almost every way. HOWEVER, as others have noted, beware the rapid ink usage, which I am comparing vs. three other inkjets I have owned. I have printed a single 4 by 6 photo, and then every other use has been simple plain paper documents on the ink-saving "fast" setting. After a fairly limited number of pages (sorry, I did not keep track, other than to try to not use the printer much -- have not refilled the paper tray yet), I am getting low ink warnings on the grey ink, with others soon to follow. According to a Canon rep, the grey ink is apparently used more than black when printing on "fast." So much for conserving ink. Canon suggests using the "grey scale" setting if you want to save Grey ink, which is counterintuitive to me. They also told me that the printer will probably disable all printing if one of the tanks is empty, and there is no way to override this. Disappointing
CONCLUSION: Even though I am a Canon loyalist, based on my experience so far, I would advise against using this as your "routine" printer for everyday usage, as the ink depletion and costs seem frightfully high. Guess it is back to my old cheapo Brother multifunction for most routine printing and copying, and save the Canon for special jobs. I will update as experience lengthens.

Addendum Dec 15, 2011: The low ink warnings come very early and persist for many many printed pages. Yesterday my grey ink finally ran out, which was 8 weeks and about 75 pages after the low ink warning. I was using the above settings to save ink. Anyway, the ink usage is not as awful as I originally thought, but still not very good. Otherwise a fabulous scanner/copier/printer.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 12 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 28, 2011 3:38:21 PM PST
Sasha299 says:
"They also told me that the printer will probably disable all printing if one of the tanks is empty, and there is no way to override this. Disappointing"

Thanks, this is one of the reasons I was thinking of replacing my current Epson CX7800

Posted on Jan 12, 2013 6:38:52 AM PST
Happy says:
Thank you for the addendum, it helps in my decision process.

Posted on Apr 15, 2013 1:27:02 PM PDT
After reading your review...I am a bit concerned about the ink consumption. I just order one of these printers from Canon today. Still not shipped. I was wondering if you would recommend me
cancelling my order???

I had a MP620 printer that bit the dust last night. I loved it. This was my sole printer and this new MG6220 would take its place. I never had an issue with ink. It was by far the best ink saver of any of the other printers I ever had and I have tried many.

I would value and appreciated your opinion.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 15, 2013 1:51:35 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 15, 2013 1:53:09 PM PDT
T.willy says:
HI
I actually love this printer and would suggest you buy it. The ink consumtion is not bad at all -- it just gives you warnings super early so you can still print many many pages before having to replace the ink when the printer stops printing. This printer is fast, quiet, and scans beautifully as well.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 15, 2013 3:00:37 PM PDT
Thanks so much for replying back to me...

I will take your advice and not cancel my order with Canon.

I do like their products and so far, never have been disappointed.
I to am concerned with the cost of the ink. I will have to wait and see how it compared to my last Canon printer.

In the past I have had Epson, HP, Lexmark and Kodak. I found all of them wasteful. You had to buy these 3 colors in one pack and throw them all out, if any one of them were out. In my experience, one color usually goes, never all at once.

Thanks again for your advise!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 15, 2013 5:34:07 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Feb 5, 2015 2:28:42 PM PST
Sasha299 says:
I've now owned the Cannon MG8220 now for just over a year and I'm very pleased as far as ink consumption and cost compared to both HP and Epsons I've owned previously. I'm not a high volume user especially with color but I've only purchase one full set of on ink and one additional black cartridge. While it's not the MP620 I suspect they're engineered similar.

What I like best is that it doesn't quit completely when one of the color cartridges are empty. My printer alerts me but I can continue to print and scan.

Posted on Sep 22, 2013 6:30:56 PM PDT
I have owned this printer for almost 6 months now and I have noticed a rapid ink consumption, HOWEVER my gray tank had run out some time ago and i never bothered to replace it as I don't do any photo printing, and so far I have still been able to print. I don't know if the rep you spoke with had bad information, but I'm pretty sure you don't need ALL the cartridges to print in basic black (of course you would need the color ones for color though).

Posted on Apr 22, 2014 7:18:10 PM PDT
Ryoko Sexton says:
I use third-party ink to solve the high costs of much printing. Also, the actual amount of ink in the canon cartridges is only about 10ml, I read, so they can deplete quickly.

There is a way to override the blocking when the printer is out of one color, hold down the cancel button on the printer until the message changes on the little screen. It takes about 5 seconds or so.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 22, 2014 8:59:12 PM PDT
T.willy says:
Good tip, thanks. I am still loving this outstanding printer

Posted on Feb 5, 2015 6:26:16 AM PST
it is VERY hard to find the gray ink cartridge when you run out. no one carries it and the boxed ink sets that Canon produces do not include gray. I am out of gray ink now and my printer is dead in the water as I cannot find the gray ink anywhere!!
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›