5.0 out of 5 stars Make sure you have a backup, November 1, 2005
This is an excellent watch. It is virtually indestructible, feeds on sunlight, and "phones home." The common criticisms of this and its atomic G-Shock siblings are that they are cumbersome and ugly. Admittedly, it is not the slimmest, sleekest watch in the world. And no, it isn't the most elegant either. And clearly, style and comfort do indeed enter into the equation when you are shopping for a watch. But this is not a fashion watch, nor was it ever meant to be one. It is a functional one. You might wear a sleek, beautiful Movado watch to the opera, but you are not likely to subject such a watch to all the stresses and strains of an active lifestyle. This watch will take whatever you can throw at it and then some, and it will be accurate to the atomic second. So, it is a very different kind of watch from a stylish Movado. My Movado sits quietly in the darkness of my jewelry cabinet most of the time; it is "too good" to wear every day.

I have worn my atomic G-Shock for over a year now, and have grown to depend on it. However, I recently decided to purchase another. Here's why: The watch does indeed feed on sunlight. You never need to hassle with a battery. You may have it fully charged in October. But as you go into the dark months of winter, without adequate exposure to sunlight, the watch will slowly begin losing its charge. Eventually, in the middle of winter, you may find it going into a state of hibernation if its charge falls below a certain threshold. In that event, all you can do is take it off and leave it in the feeble winter sunlight for a number of days until it is recharged. During that recharging time, you will need a backup watch to wear, if you have one. I didn't. I was originally going to buy a cheap stand-in, but decided instead to buy a second atomic G-Shock, so impressed was I by the first one's resilience and dependability.

In summary, this watch is not meant to replace the stylish watch you wear to the opera or other dressy occasions. This is a functional, everyday watch, resilient, self-sufficient, and intelligent.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 4 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 28, 2010 8:53:01 AM PST
Victor Wren says:
I think your battery might be getting weak, or you wear a lot of long-sleeved shirts, or you use the night light fairly often. My G-Shock has no trouble keeping a full charge with indoor lighting. It's been on "H" since I started wearing it seven years ago.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 5, 2011 11:34:48 AM PST
I am now on my second Gshock solar atomic watch, and I am contemplating getting a third.

My problem is that I let the first two get uncharged. Since then the first has gotten to a state where it can be fully charged, but it doesn't remain charged very long without aily exposure to light. The second won't charge more than medium level, but it seems to keep its charge better, but not nearly as well as when I first got it.

I am assuming that replacing the battery costs as much or more than a new watch, so I am going to do the latter. But I am having a hard time figuring out which of the many models to choose. They vary in price considerably and I can't tell what extra I would get if I got one of the more expensive ones. If I could be sure I would get a better battery, I would be happy to pay more, but I have been unable to obtain information about that.

Posted on Nov 17, 2011 6:45:18 PM PST
Yes, it's best to charge it with natural sunlight, but it will charge under artificial light as well, it just takes longer.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 28, 2011 3:20:53 PM PST
Last edited by the author on May 21, 2012 2:21:19 PM PDT
C. Meko says:
I agree, it is very difficult to find out about the battery quality of one solar watch versus another. Not only is this is a convenient thing for companies to leave out, but I also doubt that, given 2 watches with similar features, of similar design, and with a $30 price difference, there would be any noticeable difference in battery lifespan - if any at all.

Some good news: the battery is replaceable, according to the manual: "The rechargeable battery should be replaced with a CASIO-specified CTL1616 battery only. Other rechargeable batteries can damage the watch." (page 4 of the online manual). No clue where you'd buy one, but I'm sure there are ways to find out. The manual says says that you shouldn't keep the watch in dark places for largely extended periods of time to maintain battery lifespan, and to contact CASIO to ask about having the battery replaced if it's giving you trouble.

And... I'm a glass-both-half-empty-and-half-full kind of guy, but I really doubt Casio would charge you even half the cost of the watch to replace the battery. Has anybody gotten an estimate from Casio?

In reply to an earlier post on May 14, 2012 5:20:06 PM PDT
What are you a vampire? No sunlight?

Posted on Nov 24, 2012 12:08:06 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 24, 2012 12:08:25 PM PST
J. Wilson says:
I've had my solar G-Shock for years. Yes, it will hibernate if you wear it under clothing for too long. If you can't find a sunny windowsill or can't wear it outside in the sun, strap it to the metal brace on a lampshade, and arrange it to face the bulb. It'll charge up fast. Or just place it under a bright lamp.

Posted on Feb 4, 2013 1:53:02 PM PST
Tools4me says:
Does this watch have a light?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 5, 2013 7:52:35 AM PST
Yes. If you tilt it in a certain way, the display will light up, but for a few seconds, enough for you to tell what time it is.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›