3.0 out of 5 stars Great potential held back by quirky software, March 25, 2011
This review is from: Samsung EC-SH100 Wi-Fi Digital Camera with 14 MP, 5x Optical Zoom and Touchscreen (Black) (Electronics)
I just received my SH100 today, so I won't try to do a full in-depth review. However, in the hours that I've played with it I can already tell that there are quite a few 'quirks' that seriously hinder an otherwise great camera.

First, the camera comes with a touchscreen interface for most of the functions. Sadly, it also comes with a stylus which, in my experience, isn't optional to use in many situations (such as typing) - at least with my large fingers. Even worse - there isn't a place to store the stylus within the camera itself. Instead, it clips and hangs awkwardly from the lanyard. While a generally small nuisance (and perhaps a non-issue for those with smaller fingers), it would have been much nicer if the screen was sensitive enough to work via touch or there were discreet navigation buttons.

The biggest issue for me, however, has to be the software running on the camera. The UI isn't very pretty and is awkwardly organized. It feels very hastily thrown together. Again, this is a minor disappointment, but something that should have been easy to fix. Unfortunately, that isn't all. The software is also quite buggy! I had found several issues within the first few minutes (where was the QC?!) which took hours to resolve. For one thing, logging in to Picasa was a real pain as there were issues with the software recognizing both my email address AND password. The login for Picasa should be the same as my Google login. However, my account is associated with several email addresses and only one of them was accepted for some reason (and it wasn't my normal gmail.com account, it was a tertiary address I rarely use). Even worse - there's a serious bug in the password handling that prevents it from recognizing a password with any special characters! As best I can tell, only numbers and letters will work as they should. If you enter a password with a special character the password will not be accepted. This was a real problem for me as I did not want to change my password (I use many different Google services across many devices, and changing the login credentials on all of them would be a real headache!) Fortunately, I discovered an undocumented workaround/hack. If you change special characters to URL encoding (so pa$$word becomes pa%24%24word) it will work (even though it really shouldn't!) Unfortunately, this seems to prevent the password from being stored properly (only characters up to the first % are stored!). So far I have only tried logging in to the Picasa service, but I suspect these issues are present in all password fields and may well extend to user names, etc.

To be fair, the camera has some really great features and it takes very nice pictures for the price. In fact, it really could be an AMAZING camera if they ever get the software straightened out. Unfortunately, until new firmware is released, this camera has fallen fairly short of its potential.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 3, 2011 12:14:14 PM PDT
E.Barroso says:
Can you please tell if it takes panorama in camera? I like to travel and that feature to me is crucial. Thanks.

Posted on May 18, 2011 1:43:17 PM PDT
Maryson says:
Hi!
I was just wondering if you could tell me WHERE I can even find special characters. I am sure I'm blind for not finding it on the keyboard. I am specifically not seeing any underscores or any exclamation marks, and those I would think are quite common.

Thanks!
Mary

Posted on May 29, 2011 6:46:17 PM PDT
Delaney says:
I tested this camera in the store and there wasn't a stylus at the display, we used our fingers and had absolutely no problem navigating the screen. That was me, the store clerk and my boyfriend.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 7, 2011 2:25:11 AM PDT
Laura Freed says:
I have to say, I agree with your review. My camera froze up on me when trying to log into FB. Of course, I've only had it for a day and I do find (I have small hands!) that the touch screen is very finicky. I did ALOT of frustrated sighing.

Posted on Jun 23, 2011 10:45:04 PM PDT
Xim Spot says:
You should consider using the application specific password feature of your Google account. It will generate 16 lower letter case password for use on once device at a time. It is more secure and will solve your input problem.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 28, 2011 6:08:02 AM PDT
Chi-Mi Lin says:
No, it does not have that feature

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 28, 2011 6:10:41 AM PDT
Chi-Mi Lin says:
Press "123" and then the "arrow up" button.

Posted on Dec 22, 2011 12:40:08 PM PST
Christy says:
It is difficult to say how this camera works. I have not been able to connect to any of my Google accounts or Facebook. It appears the engineers forgot to accept passwords with "." or "_" in them. I am not changing all of my accounts over this silly oversight. The worst part is that tech help is clueless and it appears that the customers know more about this product the tech helpless does.

Posted on Apr 21, 2012 5:48:41 PM PDT